How safe is a bank transfer?

Comments

• pdel61
    pdel61 Posts: 939
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A direct debit can be set up actually, with your details.
    As Jeremy Clarkson found to his cost.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm

In which case cheques are even worse as not only do they contain all your details but they have your signature as well.
  • smartie1976
    smartie1976 Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    I'm simply pointing out it is possible for fraudulent action to be taken, whether covered by the DD guarantee or not, which is then a hassle to sort out.
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
  • personally i never use cheques or bank transfer for ebay- paypal only or cash on collection!!!
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    personally i never use cheques or bank transfer for ebay- paypal only or cash on collection!!!

Seems strange that you'd accept a medium risk payment method, and refuse one of the safest of all ;)
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • gingababe
    gingababe Posts: 1,040
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another query, they have paid it is showing on my account, but the amount has been rounded up by 70p, what shall I do now???
    Thanks

Ginga
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,978
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Ask them if they have paid extra for recorded delivery.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gingababe
    Forumite
    It was being sent first class recorded anyway that was on the listing.
    Thanks
    Ginga
  • gingababe wrote: »
    asked if they can do a bank transfer, they need my sort code & account number!
    How safe is this?

It's absolutely bullet proof!

Safe, reliable and fast. Should take about 3 days and is then totally reliable. Grab the payment and bask in the glory that you're not paying paypal 3.5% for the privelidge of taking payment!
  • gingababe
    Forumite
    All happy all sorted.
    Thanks for all your help feed back left.
    Thanks for every one that advised me which way to go.

G
  • I hav Hi, I am buying something from the internet item does seem alitttle to good to be true and the guy I’m buying from is obviously saying its secure. He’s telling me to pay him thru a bank transfer and given me his account details and sort code so therefore saying its completely secure as I have his details but im still unsure. If I did put them money thru and he didn’t send the item will he counted liable for it?? PLEASE help me. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure