Planning for the next chapter

Hi

Newby here, please be kind

Read loads of threads and have decided to step up to the mark and set myself some targets

With all the talk around retirement, pensions etc going around its made me think!

I have 6-7 years to my retirement, small pension but my mortgage is interest only changed after being off work for a year due to illness a while back and could never afford to change back to repayment. Have asked if i could part part repayment but was told no. Cant change providers as i wouldn't pass all the new criteria now.

Im on a dmp for another two and a half years and i keep putting it up every few months so its hopefully coming down quicker

Have about a months salary in savings which i add £10 to each week but as its earning little interest im starting to overpay the mortgage. So ive managed £300 this month

Do you reckon im on the right track? I know i probably can't pay it all back but it saves interest and probably gives me more choices if i need to sell later. I do not have a partner so just my wage to do this

House value £115,000 owe £75,000

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi there Skye blue, I'm not too sure in the best advice but I didn't just want to read & run!

Any savings/Overpayments have to be a good thing though :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • skye_blue
    skye_blue Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks kittenkirst for your reply

I just had to write this down as it was going round in my head

Keep going as it is for now i think
  • freshcotton
    freshcotton Posts: 223 Forumite
    I don't think you can go wrong with throwing extra bits at the mortgage.

Is there interest on your unsecured loans?
    Mortgage Start - August 2013 £145,000 ************ Balance at April 2017 - £59,000

Target - Overpay by £2,500 each month ************** Mortgage free by December 2018!
  • skye_blue
    wow freshcotton your totals are amazing

my dmp debts are 0% bar one
    my savings are dire at 0.50%
    my mortgage is 4.29%

no brainer really
  • Must admit I am really inspired by some of these threads. It's great that everyone can keep focus - I'm a born worrier so that is one of the main drivers with me wanting to get to the point of mortgage neutrality. Don't want to be a slave to the system :)
    Outstanding mortgage Dec 2016 £214,500
    Current mortgage outstanding May 2017 £211,244 June 2017 £210,446
    Offset savings June 2017 £57,354 Balance outstanding May 2017 £154,490 June 2017 £153,091
  • skye_blue
    i know what you mean about worrying

have friends who say stop worrying about the future but those are the ones with no mortgage and 2 salaries
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    How long do you have left on your mortgage?

A couple of family members have interest only mortgages finishing in 7-8 years, one same age as me, 47 and the other 58, without savings/insurance to pay off.

It's great that you are overpaying. Do you have any way of paying it off at the end?
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • skye_blue
    8 years left and at 59 i have nothing in place either

hence sleepless nights thats why im trying to find a positive challenge to help me look forward rather than worry for the next few years
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    OK so I'm not an expert on DMP. But my understanding is that, if you keep making the agreed payments, you can offer full and final settlements when you have some cash set aside. These will be a percentage of your outstanding debt. Might it be worth investigating that option, and setting aside your spare cash for that instead?

You say your debts are at 0%; but if you could have a 60% !!!!!! accepted, for example, that could be much more beneficial overall. Worth looking into, I'd have thought? Depends how much is still outstanding.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • skye_blue
    Hi

Thanks for the reply mfmaybe

I did offer a settlement offer on one of the lower debts a few months back but they would only accept 10% reduction so i left it at paying the monthly amount
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure