I Can Do This

Options

Comments

• DancingUnicorn
    Options
    So things haven't been particularly exciting:
    - I paid nothing for the niece and nephew this weekend as my brother and boyfriend sorted the money out between them
    - the boyfriend did all the food shopping
    - £4.99 on a Mother's Day card which has a flying butterfly in it
    - £30something on an NUS card which will last 3 years (need to make the most of that!)
    - boyfriend paid our travel insurance ready for holiday in June
    - £50 petrol (I remembered to go to Tesco so at least I get the points!)

It's pay day (monthly) from my main job this week and it's the first month of higher SC payments and back to paying council tax so I'm going to be extra careful. 3 weeks until my part-time job pay (every 4 weeks) so I've got a bit of a wait.

The dreaded depression hit today. I don't think it's particularly money related - for once my finances are under control and I'm in the best place I've been (financially) since moving into my own place - but it's hit never the less. I can and will beat it and be positive about life.
    LBM: October 2016: £20,130 / Current: May 2019: £12,576 37.53%
    DFD: [STRIKE]February 2024[/STRIKE] April 2022?
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    New spends:
    - £24 tanning (I go away in June and as I burn so easily it's recommended I get a tan started before I go so I don't burn too badly. I will get 3 free minutes when I recommend a friend tomorrow and got 20% off as a new customer so it's just over 25p a minute)
    - £5 groceries (but I forgot milk so I'll have to go again tomorrow)

The travel insurance documents arrived today and my holiday is starting to feel real - it'll be my first time away without a parent and the first time in 8 years so I'm excited and nervous. It feels a bit naughty going away when I could have been saving for my debts but it's mine and the boyfriend's first and last time away until I'm sorted financially and have a full time teaching position. I'm going to borrow suitcases from my dad, but I need a few new clothes. I'm not going wild because there's no point buying a load of things I'll never wear again so I need to start bargain hunting for a few bits.

It was payday today (it's supposed to be the 25th but it often comes in early) and I'm taking great pleasure in withdrawing the cash above and beyond my bills and separating it into spends for the next few weeks and savings. It sounds so sad but I love ticking off each bill as it gets paid and seeing the money in my account get gradually smaller so I cannot be tempted to spend any of it!

Been reading some other diaries these past few days and am picking up hints all over the place. Tomorrow I'm at my Alpha course and tea with a friend, Friday I've got to catch up on my NVQ work before I fall behind again.

My mood has been a little better but I'm really fighting the anxiety attacks.

I also just noticed that my debt is under £20k (I know it sounds stupid not to have realised that when it's in my sig but it never really clicked). I think I'll make a plan to celebrate the day it goes under £15k :)
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    Yesterday I got a letter saying my Halifax overdraft has refused my DMP payment. I know this isn't really anything to worry about as they will make the payments regardless, it just worries me that they accepted my £1 Token Payment Plan pretty much straight away but won't accept this.

Today I got a letter saying my Halifax loan has been passed onto a debt collection company (actually the same one as Natwest used so I know they're actually nice and easy to talk to/deal with) so my payments will be altered to go to them rather than to Halifax.

It feels like Halifax are doing all they can to mess me around and make things difficult. Two of my accounts with them (loan and credit card) have already defaulted, and the overdraft is still classed as up-to-date and they had agreed to stop all interest. I don't understand why they're doing this now. I don't know whether to try calling them or just leave it a while and see what happens.

In better news, I got a letter from Capital One (the card I paid off fully with savings during my TPP) saying my account was now £1 in credit and they would be sending me a cheque for the amount and marking the account as settled in my credit report. Woo!

Today has so far consisted of an hour and a half Zumba-thon for Red Nose Day and giving the front and back garden their first cut of the year. I've done 7 hours extra with my part time job this past 4 weeks so I'm hoping to have a bit extra to put into savings when that payday comes around (about 2 weeks I think).

I've been trying to set up a savings account linked to my basic Yorkshire Bank account but can't remember my online log in details and haven't had much success with the "forgotten details" feature. I'll keep trying, though, as it will be much easier having the money sat in an account than in my kitchen drawer!
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    Well, I managed to get myself locked out of my online bank and have to ring them, but right now I haven't had the time. I've still got 17 questions to write up for my NVQ, 3 observations to write up, a reference to complete and an appraisal form to fill in for Thursday and absolutely zero free time in which to do these things! I'll keep trying next week.

All of my accounts have now defaulted, other than one overdraft which has gone to late payment. I think it will go back to up to date once they credit my refunded charges, but I think that's better anyway.

Minimal spends other than £40 (budgeted so not too bad) for a bow and travel fees for a cheerleading competition next month. Just need to pay for my spray tan for it then that's all paid for.

Otherwise, not much to report. Just plodding on with general life.
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    Well, it's been a while since I've posted - best slap my wrist!

I got most of the work done and handed in, just a little more to do for this Thursday but I'm not so worried about this.
    I still haven't had time to ring the bank about my online banking but I'll do this after work tomorrow. I've also had my original token payment of £6 taken out of my account by SC (they said this would be cancelled once my DMP was set up but they've taken both) so I'll have to ring them too. Also need to ring Halifax after Dad put Easter money into the wrong account (again!) and I don't want them to think it was an attempt to pay and start the charges again.

I'm spent up until payday (this weekend) but I'm expecting a little extra due to overtime this month so hopefully that can go straight into savings once I get the online banking organised.

Started to set up YNAB on the 2 month free trial. Still getting my head around it really and haven't had a chance to look at YouTube or anything yet. It's on the to-do-list for the week so hopefully this will help me keep an eye on things (I'll keep my little book too because I like seeing it all written down).

Working on an excel spreadsheet with a groceries inventory to help me to stay on top. Had a look at the shopping comparison sites yesterday and found that (with the introductory offer) Ocado was by far the cheapest for my completely made up monthly shop. I've done a stock take of what I have in and made an estimate of how much I think I should have of everything and how much I need to buy to make this up. I'll update it weekly and I'm sure, over time, it will really help. That way I can do a big monthly shop and stop popping to Asda a couple of times a week and spending on things I don't need.
    We used to buy meat from Musclefood but lost all trust in them after some dodgy chicken and difficulties with customer service so I'm going back to supermarkets.
    I'm going to try to do my top up shops at Aldi/Lidl. I love going to the "cheap" shops like B&M, Poundstretcher, Home Bargains, etc. so I'm going to try stock up on things like bleach, toothpaste, wash powder, etc. when they're on offer here so that once I'm a skint student in September, I might not have to buy any for as long as possible. (I feel like one of those American hoarders you see on that coupon show!)

I think that's all that's been going on in my life for the moment. I'm sure I've missed something important, but I'll try harder to keep up with my little diary.
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    BIG NEWS:
    I got my quote for student finance through today. Originally quoted £5,500 (I was pretty terrified about living off this figure but knew I could do it with support). Now quoted £9,510 - I'm not going be rich any time soon living off this but it means I can actually live a realistic life. I am absolutely over the moon!

Other news:
    So I've had a look at YNAB and trying to get to grips with it - I think it'll take a while but I'm more than happy to persevere.
    Still haven't had chance to ring SC or YB about the extra payment and my online account but I'll get round to that soon (I hope!)
    Ocado shop is happening as soon as I get paid (any time between now and Monday) and that means that proper meal planning is going ahead - yikes!
    Had an email back from Wonga saying they will respond within 5 weeks with a full reply to my complaint.

Last month I set these targets. This is how far I am:

Current upcoming expenses/renewals (before September):
    - Car insurance renewal Not due yet, will use Quidco/TCB when the time comes
    - Phone upgrade Still keeping an eye out but again, not due yet
    - Sky Not due yet
    - Utilities Trying to keep usage down but expecting bills to go up
    - MOT Due by 20th. Found a garage close to work for £30 or one a short taxi away for £25 - will weigh up costs and trustworthiness

Things to look into:
    - Student card found, paid for and received. Lasts 3 years so plenty of time to make use of it
    - Quidco signed up but not really found any deals I want/need at the moment
    - HotUKDeals Love, love, love this! Bargain central - just need to make sure I'm only buying things I need rather than want
    - Credit Scores Signed up to the MSE one and Noddle. Interesting, depressing,
    but at the end of the day (other than mortgage in the future) I'm not looking at getting any more debt

- MSE forums for more ideas Still looking, still finding useful tips
    - Meal planning Made a freezer stock check spreadsheet and trying to stick to meal plans. Will focus on this more this month
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Just reading this, and want to wish you good luck in all that you do:)
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    Thank you another casualty!

Today I am planning to get out in the garden and try to sort out some of the mess it has become. Hope this beautiful weather sticks around all day and I should get a fair bit done.
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi Dancingunicorn

Just popping in to say I've subscribed and will be cheering you along on your journey. It looks as though we will both be debt free around the same time if not sooner eh. (fingers crossed) ;)

Good luck on your journey
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    Hi, slap on the wrist for me because it's been ages since I posted. Life has been hectic and money has been tight :(
    Thank you for subscribing motivated, I desperately need to catch up on your diary. I've seen your posts in the DMP thread though and it sounds like you've found all the courage you need!

So, I had my eyes tested (went to Tesco as it was free) but my glasses ended up costing £155 - there went most of the emergency pot (it was growing very slowly).
    I then had my MOT - £260.10. This was actually cheap for what I needed doing (I shopped around) but wiped out the last of my emergency fund and meant I have borrowed £250 from Dad. I should be able to pay Dad this back over two pay days £150 this month and £100 next) but this means the emergency fund is stuck at nothing.

Six weeks until holiday now so we're going holiday clothes shopping on Sunday. Luckily my boyfriend is paying for this and I'm planning to keep it very sensible.
    £80 TCB due any day now so £50 of this will go into EF (I did finally get it set up online) and £30 for petrol, etc until second payday on the 8th).

I plan on cutting spending accordingly. I've had lots of meals out or treats (especially over Easter with being away at a cheer competition in Coventry) so I've been spending every last penny of my £20/week. I'm going to try to cut this down to £10 this time. I do have a hen night on the 5th but I've already paid for the evening and hotel so it will only be drinking costs and I plan on taking a bottle of vodka and a bottle of coke that I already have at home - win win!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure