A Ditherer's Diary (again)

Options

Comments

• Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll get there with it.. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    I reccommend having a cuppa and some chocolate!
    Bookbub may be worth looking into to help with the kindle costs.

I can do cuppa, I drink decaff so I can have it in the evening and not lie awake all night :rotfl: However, already had a kitkat (Aldi's own) today.

I've not heard of Bookbub so will have a google. To be honest I don't spend much on my kindle. I usually get books when they are 99p. I also write a blog and write reviews in exchange for pre-published books for free. Which reminds me I have one to do and two pending but not read them yet!

I've been onto YNAB and think I have managed to load everyone of our outgoing payments and my minus figure :o) bank account. I think I will need to watch a few more tutorials to make sure I am doing it right though. I'm sure I've missed something off but hey ho, it's a work in progress :)

Naomi
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Whoknowskt89
    Options
    They let you know when the types of books you select have free or really cheap deals. Have found some decent authors through it.

Ah I've already had a doughnut today but still going to grab choc in a mo..

The things I've read and seen people say it can be a lot to get your mind around but with loads of tutorials and users on here you'll get there
    :beer:
  • Naomim
    Options
    Happy Monday one and all,

So I put all my figures in YNAB but I think I made a horrible mistake and just put in all my bills and everything instead of actually budgeting for what MrM and I actually earn. We're also trying to dig out of the overdraft so I think I need to budget at least a couple of hundred pounds for that every month... It's hard going. I'm going to try and watch another tutorial in a moment.

I did my Aldi shop this weekend and it came to £48. I did pop into Tesco and buy a 2.35kg chicken for £5.50 as this will give us 3 meals for a family of four or 2 meals and sandwiches. I also went into Asda. I took my MiL as she doesn't drive so it's a day out for her! :rotfl: I spent £8 on 24 toilet rolls and £6 on 30x cans of coke. I don't drink it but MrM won't entertain the unbranded stuff so that works out to 20p a can. A great saving.

I've also sorted out MrM's car insurance which was due. Managed to get it down by £60 so I'm happy with that too :money:

This week as usual will be making sure we all have packed lunches. 11yo has no money on his finger so I made him packed lunch today. Going to try and get him into the habit of having it a couple of times a week but if I load his finger he'll just spend what's on there.

I've meal planned for the week but can't tell you what it is as I'm at work typing this in my lunch break and plan is at home. I'll try and update tonight.

Naomi
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Naomim
    Options
    :money: Ooh I forgot to add, two things sold on ebay :D that's £19.00 + postage. Still got 7 things listed so I'm hoping for another £30 or so if the watchers turn into bidders, :)

Naomi x
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Brilliant news on the ebay sales and the shopping savings :)
    I've been doing a little bit on YNAB every day but I do find it confusing - I find myself googling "how do I do XYZ on YNAB" an awful lot!
    I found OnTrees was really helpful for my first month of debt-busting because it just tracked and categorised my spending, so I got a proper brutal look at the state of my finances and spending. Then I could use that information make an informed budget for March with YNAB, instead of an optimistic 'best case scenario' budget like I tried to do at first.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I thoroughly recommend persevering with YNAB even if you're feeling dubious - I reckon it took three full months to really get to grips with it, and we still don't make the most of it, but it's been absolutely life changing.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Naomim
    Options
    Brilliant news on the ebay sales and the shopping savings :)
    I've been doing a little bit on YNAB every day but I do find it confusing - I find myself googling "how do I do XYZ on YNAB" an awful lot!
    I found OnTrees was really helpful for my first month of debt-busting because it just tracked and categorised my spending, so I got a proper brutal look at the state of my finances and spending. Then I could use that information make an informed budget for March with YNAB, instead of an optimistic 'best case scenario' budget like I tried to do at first.

I thoroughly recommend persevering with YNAB even if you're feeling dubious - I reckon it took three full months to really get to grips with it, and we still don't make the most of it, but it's been absolutely life changing.

I definitely think I've been doing it wrong! It's so hard to start when you're already in a negative figure! :mad: It also doesn't help that MrM spent £200 that's not in my budget and I need to find it somehow.

I think I'm going to watch some more tutorials and click the start afresh button. :(

I'm not at work for the next two days so hopefully I can spend some time getting to grips with it and wrestle the laptop away from MrM and his Football Manager career.

Naomi
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Naomim wrote: »
    I definitely think I've been doing it wrong! It's so hard to start when you're already in a negative figure! :mad: It also doesn't help that MrM spent £200 that's not in my budget and I need to find it somehow.

I think I'm going to watch some more tutorials and click the start afresh button. :(

I'm not at work for the next two days so hopefully I can spend some time getting to grips with it and wrestle the laptop away from MrM and his Football Manager career.

Naomi

I sort of cheated it a bit for March, I got paid today :j so a lot of my transactions have left my account already, but I wanted to see what the month ahead would look like so I have input them all with a date of 1st March. It is easier to get my head round when I'm not starting from minus figures.
    I won't do this every month, it was just to help me get started this month.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I have my debts as 'off budget' in order to avoid staring at a negative figure all the time. I started afresh at least once, probably twice, in the first few months with YNAB. I appreciate I sound like a cult member, but it really has been life changing for us - no way would we be making progress like we are now without it.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Naomim
    Options
    I think I might start as if MrM has been paid today deducting the bills that have left the account already. I'm just not sure how to do it as I get paid 15th of every month so most of our Bilston come out 1st week of the month then my wages cover everything else.

What I originally did was put in our negative figure. Put in MrM's wages then every bill I am expecting throughout the month and my wages as a scheduled payment so the figures were very wrong:mad:

I also don't understand about the whole payee thing but I'll get there. I work in finance and it's no different to double entry book keeping. I'm adding this to my cv:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback