Two Pennies Left

Comments

• Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    I came across this saying in a post by Edinburgher yesterday. It really resonated with me so I made a note of it. Today it has proven to be true.

Remember the job that Mr F was headhunted for recently -the other candidate was offered the job. Well the other candidate hasn't worked out and they have come back to Mr F with an offer! He has accepted and will be handing in his notice tomorrow.

I am absolutely made up for him. It's a role he has been aspiring to for a while and it doesn't come up very often. He works very hard and really deserves it.

It will mean a little more money so we will be able to grow our savings and finish the house a bit faster. It's also based at home which will be ideal if we do move later on.

I hope this is the start of a trend and others waiting for job news will get some good luck soon.

I can feel a celebratory weekend coming on :j

Fortune x

Well done Mr F! He must be buzzing :) Congrats x
  • Thank you everyone - I have passed on your good wishes to Mr F. He is well chuffed.

A productive day today:
    • a hour's admin work this morning
    • lots of sprucing up the house
    • made Bubble & Squeak for lunch to use up some sulky sprouts. Plenty left over for breakfast for the next couple of days
    • made heart-shaped Lemon Kisses. They were supposed to be a Valentines surprise for when Mr F came home tomorrow but he came home early and caught me in the act of making them this evening :rotfl:
    • Baked Gnocchi with Gammon & Courgettes from the meal plan for supper tonight.
    Mr F returned very happy, full of cold and clutching a Valentines Card and a box of chocolates :D

I hope the Postman stops at your door tomorrow.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Congratulations to Mr F :T fab news for the Fortune household xx
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2014 at 10:15AM
    ...to Mr F with an offer! He has accepted and will be handing in his notice tomorrow...

What lovely news Fortune! - Congrats to Mr F - well done!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Congratulations mr F!! So pleased for you both! :j
    LBM 01/03/12 Debt £[STRIKE]27924[/STRIKE] :eek:
    now £0 100% paid :j :beer: :T
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Fabulous news for Mr FS..thrilled for you both and that you can achieve your dreams just a little bit faster. Sounds like a brilliant dinner too.. You always seem to cook amazing stuff :)

Have a great weekend

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Thank you everyone for your kind words. It's just starting to sink in and I'm realising that it's going to be a big change for me too. Mr F will be based at home so that may mean a later wake up :) but when will I do the hoovering? :p

We have friends coming round for a Valentine's themed lunch tomorrow so I have spent the day making sure the house is presentable and getting a head start on the cooking:
    • made Butternut Squash & Sage Soup (a nod to Cinderella and her pumpkin carriage)
    • made Meatballs with Pesto Mash (Lady & The Tramp)
    • I have some lovely cheeses from my recent visit to a farm shop. One is heart shaped and the others are made with things like port so have pretty pastel colours running through them
    • my Waitr0$£ delivery this week included some heart shaped chocolate lollipops and raspberry & white chocolate truffles to have with coffee
    • so that just leaves the Turkish Delight & Berry Trifle (1001 Arabian Nights) to make tomorrow morning
    • picked up my trifle bowl from Across-the-lane-neighbours (I'd left it there after the rugby night). Came away with a Coffee & Walnut Cake and some Ciabatta bread the family weren't going to eat :)
    • Mushroom & Rice One-Pot from the meal plan for supper tonight
    I'm all cooked out now so a night in front of the TV with a glass of wine seems in order.

I hope everyone escaped the storm unscathed. We had a very scary night but are still in one piece. Across-the-lane-neighbour lost all her fence panels and several trees (although at least these missed the house). In the spirit of Greying Pilgrim - I am very grateful that we are warm and safe in our house tonight and my thoughts are with all those affected by the storms and floods.

Stay safe

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hello Fortune! Just catching up on your diary, and it looks like the good times have been rolling in - what wonderful news! Congratulations! And your Valentines Dinner sounds gorgeous, Very Yummy indeed :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    Hello Fortune! Just catching up on your diary, and it looks like the good times have been rolling in - what wonderful news! Congratulations! And your Valentines Dinner sounds gorgeous, Very Yummy indeed :)

Hi Karma :wave:

I am feeling extra fortunate at the moment. Making the most of it whilst it lasts :rotfl:Sounds like the website is coming on well - can't wait to see it.

Fortune x
  • Did I say that I would stop spending on house stuff :o
    • a trip to Ik£a with friends yesterday
    • friend drove but I paid one of the tunnel costs - £2
    • lunch - £7.65
    • bought a mirror for the guest room which has a hanging rail and hooks on the back - £45. I can now get rid of the old wardrobe in there which is taking up too much room. It's an original art deco wardrobe with Bakelite handles but I don't think they go for much. I'll give Fleabay a go and, if it doesn't sell, I'll put it on Fr££cycl£
    • bought a small dressing screen - £40. This is to hide the tumble dryer which lives in the guest room. My kitchen isn't big enough to house it and it makes the guest room look like a laundry
    • also an over-the-door set of hooks for the bathroom - £3, some very clever funnels for bottling my liquers - £1 and a set of lidded boxes for storing all the instruction manuals we have (these are currently in a filing tray in a high cupboard in a kitchen and regularly fall on my head :eek:)
    • popped over to B££ & Q to get some gardening gloves - £2 (reduced from £14.99) and a funky pedal bin for the guest room - £7.99
    • leftovers from the Valentines lunch for supper
    • £1 to Mr Marmite
    So, I've now spent this months' bumper admin claim and a little more :o However, everything I've brought was on the list for household improvements and I did research for the best prices. The guest room will look far more welcoming now and properly dressed should we sell in the future. The next thing on the list is a new tumble dryer. Mine is about 20 years old, has a hose that has to be put out of the window and is not very efficient. But, I will have to wait now until we know where we are with Mr F's pay whilst he is changing jobs. I will be sure to get one with a blue light though ;)

Preparing to return to frugality immediately. Happy hump day all.

Fortune x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure