Tax credits & benefits for people in work or looking for work

Comments

• Hi
    Thanks for reply, are the rules re being available for work the same if signing on only to get NI credits (ie not receiving job seekers allowance)?
    Thank you
  • PhoenixDF
    PhoenixDF Posts: 113 Forumite
    Hi,

My partner and I are both working full-time at the moment earning £14750 pa each as we work at the same company, however my partner is about to become a full-time student in September 2012 and this will make finances quite difficult.

I currently am getting WTC although I am trying to inform the Benefits people that I do not think I am eligable for this any more as my last financial wages were £14,500 (the previous year was only around £3k which is why I got WTC in the first place as its based on the previous years income).

I don't really have a clue what benefits may be available to me as I would technically be supporting my partner as a full-time student although I will not be paying the course fees for her as it is funded by the NHS.

Would I be entitled to WTC, Housing Benefit or possibly a council tax benefit i.e. 25% off or similar.

We both rent privately in the same property with no one else and have no children.
    Current Debt
    Barclays Student Overdraft £3,000 [£3,000 limit - £7 monthly fee, 0% interest]
    Nationwide Overdraft £145 [£150 limit 19.9% interest]
    Barclaycard £2,990 [£4,000 limit - 0% interest until April 14]
    Vanquis £1,331.96 [£3,000 limit - 39.9%APR)
    Capital One £50 [STRIKE]£81.54 [/STRIKE][£200 limit - 27.9%APR)
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    divadeus1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for reply, are the rules re being available for work the same if signing on only to get NI credits (ie not receiving job seekers allowance)?
    Thank you

Hi Divadeus,

Yes, If your partner is claiming National Insurance Credits but not Jobseekers Allowance the normalclaim procedures for getting JSA will apply to him.

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
    PhoenixDF wrote: »
    Hi,

My partner and I are both working full-time at the moment earning £14750 pa each as we work at the same company, however my partner is about to become a full-time student in September 2012 and this will make finances quite difficult.

I currently am getting WTC although I am trying to inform the Benefits people that I do not think I am eligable for this any more as my last financial wages were £14,500 (the previous year was only around £3k which is why I got WTC in the first place as its based on the previous years income).

I don't really have a clue what benefits may be available to me as I would technically be supporting my partner as a full-time student although I will not be paying the course fees for her as it is funded by the NHS.

Would I be entitled to WTC, Housing Benefit or possibly a council tax benefit i.e. 25% off or similar.

We both rent privately in the same property with no one else and have no children.

Dear PhoneixDF,

Although your income has increased, you may still be entitled to tax credits as a couple and possibly Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit depending on the amount of rent you pay, household income etc.

We think it would be in your best interest to get a benefit check to clarify what benefits you will be entitled to. You can either contact Turn2us which is an independent charity dealing specifically with benefits/ grants (Tel: 08088022000 Website: www.turn2us.org.uk) Or alternatively, you can visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau. You may find your local bureau by clicking on the following link:
    http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • gilligansyle
    gilligansyle Posts: 4,124 Forumite
    Based on the information, it looks like he won't be able to go to college then. He will lose JSA, and has no way of replacing that money. The only help he will get is for books and travel, but he won't have any actual money. Seems wrong somehow. The course is only 15 hours a week, so is classed as part time, so he can't apply for any student finance.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • yeslek
    yeslek Posts: 1,442
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I'm currently signed off sick, possibly indefinitely, and receive SSP.
    Are there any benefits I can apply for to boost this as its a drastic drop from what I'm used to earning and to be honest, barely covers my share of the rent, let alone much else.

I tried seeing if I could use a few holidays to boost my pay but apparently its not allowed with a sick note
  • I'mcomingbackasaman
    I'mcomingbackasaman Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2012 at 11:50PM
    I currently receive Carers Allowance (£58 per week) for looking after my mum and have a pension from a previous job (£49 per week. I am not claiming any other benefits other than currently claiming Council Tax Benefit.

I still have a mortgage to pay so need to get a part time job towards the payments and other household bills. Can you tell me what is the minimum hours I'd need to work to qualify for Working Tax Credit please?

I am 57 years of age, and have a non dependant living with me, my son (aged 35).

Thanks for your help
  • Hi, I need help with benefits. I have just been made redundant and have got a new job but only for 2 hours self employed. I have also started up an agency working 14 hrs weekly but as yet not earning an income from it I am a single parent and at college in my final year. I have a mortgage, very high, and rent out a flat in my home for which I don't pay tax as expenses so high. I am so confused with benefits, as are most advisors I speak to. I need help with a loan to pay for my final year at college and a grant if possible. I also do voluntary work as part of my course but can't afford petrol to and from but can't complete course with out voluntary work as experience needed.
    I am completely baffled as to what I am entitled to, I do get child & working tax credit but can't manage on them alone.
    I would be grateful of any advice
    yeslek wrote: »
    apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I'm currently signed off sick, possibly indefinitely, and receive SSP.
    Are there any benefits I can apply for to boost this as its a drastic drop from what I'm used to earning and to be honest, barely covers my share of the rent, let alone much else.

I tried seeing if I could use a few holidays to boost my pay but apparently its not allowed with a sick note

Dear Yesleck,

Statutory Sick Pay is only usually paid for a maximum of 28 weeks, after which you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). ESA is a benefit given to individuals who have an illness or disability which affects their ability to work. If you have been on SSP for more than 28 weeks, your employer will give you form SSP1 which you can then use to claim ESA. For more information on ESA please click on the following link which will take you to a factsheet headed as ‘off work because of sickness’

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_time_off_work_e/off_work_because_of_sickness.htm

It may be best for you to get a benefit check as this will highlight what benefits/ tax credits you could be entitled to (for example housing benefit, council tax benefit, working tax credit). You can do this by visiting your local bureau, going online by visiting www.turn2us.org.uk or calling Turn2us on 0808 802 2000. Turn2us is a charity providing independent benefit advice.

We hope you find this information useful.

Kind regards,

Birmingham CAB
    I currently receive Carers Allowance (£58 per week) for looking after my mum and have a pension from a previous job (£49 per week. I am not claiming any other benefits other than currently claiming Council Tax Benefit.

I still have a mortgage to pay so need to get a part time job towards the payments and other household bills. Can you tell me what is the minimum hours I'd need to work to qualify for Working Tax Credit please?

I am 57 years of age, and have a non dependant living with me, my son (aged 35).

Thanks for your help

Dear I’mcomingbackasaman

You may find the following information on direct.gov.uk:

‘If you're not responsible for children, you need to work the following hours to get Working Tax Credit:
    · if you're aged 25 or over, you need to do paid work of at least 30 hours a week
    · if you have a disability and are aged 16 or over, you need to do paid work of at least 16 hours a week
    · if you're aged 60 or over, you need to do paid work of at least 16 hours a week’

As Carer’s Allowance (CA) counts as income for working tax credit (WTC) purposes, we recommend you contact the tax credit helpline on 0345 300 3900 to provide you with further clarity.

Please bare in mind that in order to continue receiving CA, you must be looking after your mother for a minimum of 35 hours per day.

We hope you find this information useful.

Kind regards,

Birmingham CAB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure