The Mortgage Free in Three - Take 2 challenge (MFiT-T2)

Comments

• No. 73 checking in... have just paid my September installment and can report a revised total of £15,260. It's not cleared yet, and I've not yet recorded it in my diary, but that's the latest for this update (FB, I've already submitted by Googledocs).

I'm bang on target and very pleased. The savings are draining down rapidly, but with interest rates at their current measly levels, I'm loving the transferral to bricks and mortar!!!
    QB
  • wynnvegas
    wynnvegas Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Morning All,

Delighted to report the September payment has now gone through so the mortgage now sits at a happy (and yes, perfectly rounded) £5,000. Just two more payments to go. We had a band of merry men in yesterday to start the planning phase of our attack on the house and that's looking very promising and not nearly as expensive as we had originally thought. We seem to be able to get a new bathroom, new downstairs toilet, new boiler, new kitchen, new flooring and new stairs without skimping on the quality for somewhere in the region of £18-20k. We're planning to attack the house in phases next year (boiler, bathroom and toilet in February), (kitchen in April) and living room floor, stairs, and halls in July) before we kick off our somewhat more relaxed saving and investment campaign which will, all things going to plan, allow us to start looking at buying land and building our forever home in about 5 years. Friends and family are adamant that we should look now or soon whilst the market is depressed but I've vowed, perhaps a wee bit tunnel-visionedly, never to have another mortgage.

The stats so far for September (and the 2010 portion of the MFIT-T3 challenge) (just remembering that it's update time again!!):

Normal Mortgage Payment: £827.06 (£7,443.54)
    Interest Accrued: £10.13 (£215.73) - that is about £100 less than the monthly interest when we kicked this mortgage off!!
    Overpayments: £2,183.07 (£19,487.92)
    Total Payments: £3,020.26 (£26,931.46)
    Mortgage Outstanding: £5,000

Cheers,

Billy (#85)
    Mortgage Free: 28/10/2010
    Time / Interest Saved: 18.5 years / £61,866.50
  • adwat
    adwat Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    Update from No. 32

Net Mortgage Balance (Mortgage Balance less ISA savings) £17293
    Shortfall on Target £493 (this has reduced by £295.33 since the last update)
    Total reduction since start of the challenge £5107, Target Reduction since start of Challenge £5600.

Hopefully back on Target by the end of the year.

Think we've done very well considering, had quite a few additional expenses so far this year.

Well done! Keep up the good work!:T
    MFi3T2 #98 - Mortgage Free 15/12/2011
  • adwat
    adwat Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    September's here and my new balance is £29k

Thought I had 12 months left but when I checked this morning found out that it's 11 months which is an unexpected surprise!
    MFi3T2 #98 - Mortgage Free 15/12/2011
  • 147. reporting in £540 sept
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • Number 100 reporting in with the quarterly update. The balance when checked earlier on was £101206.52 which is frustrating just above the £100k mark.

We've taken a small overpayment holiday this month and next to get some furniture bits needed for the house. I feel bad about doing it but they are bits that are needed before the end of the year and I don't want to have to put it on a CC.

This means that I am still in yellow and not venturing into the red. Hopefully January's update will show an improvment as we'll be able to overpay an unlimited amount plus (if int rates remain as is) the % rate will go down as well.
    Working Hard to be Debt Free - one day :A soon
    DFW Long Hauler 74; Mortgage overpayments MFiT-2 challenger 100
    Total Nov07 £36000, Sep10 £1623:o:)
  • Floxxie wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I am going to have to pull out of the challenge. My husband decided to have a mid-life crisis and leave me and the children yesterday.

My priority now is to put the house on the market and then get the solicitor to make sure that I get some of the equity back.

Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

So sorry to hear that Floxxie. You always seem so solid and level headed. I have faith you can make the best of this for you and your children.
    I'm sorry but I am going to have to pull out of the challenge. My husband decided to have a mid-life crisis and leave me and the children yesterday.

My priority now is to put the house on the market and then get the solicitor to make sure that I get some of the equity back.

Good Luck and Best Wishes for the future Floxxie to both you and your children xx
    Mortgage Free as of 31/5/11 :j:j:j:j:j:j:j

Sorry to hear your news Floxxie (makes my hubby's mid-life crisis of learning to ride a motorbike and all the associated spending (bike, leathers, various cleaners, extra training) seem rather tame). Good luck with the house sale.

Can't update until my payment and standing order have been applied to the mortgage, but REALLY hoping the balance will be under 10k. Don't get too excited - we still have a mortgage of about 117k to attack when this further advance is cleared!

Best wishes everyone
    Hooby
    MFiT-T2 #49 December 09 £15373, January 12 £0 target £0 by 12/12/12
    TARGET MET 11 months early - YIPPEE
    MFiT-T2 #50 August 11 £111,691.25, December 12 £96,699.20 target £99,999 by 12/12/12
    TARGET MET 3 months early - YIPPEE
    MFiT-T3 #49June 14 £76338.33 target £49999 by 12/12/15
  • uzubairu
    uzubairu Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 2 September 2010 at 1:12PM
    No.19 udate for September.

We re-mortgaged last month with First Direct, which means we had to pay a redemption fee of £1,940. :eek:

OH was convinced that rates will stay low for a little while longer and it bothered him that we were fixed at 4.79% until 2016 and limited on overpayments until then.
    If (and it's a big if) rates stay low OH reckons we will have covered the cost of the ERC in 13 months.
    Let's see what happens.
    Hopefully, we can throw as much as we can at the mortgage without the fear of charges and clear it in the next 3/4 years.

Some pending changes at OH work have hardened his resolve to be mortgage free ASAP.
    Overpayments are currently £1200, but will be going up in November to £1300.

Mortgage is £67,404.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport