Renovations and Repayments.

Options
1339340341342343345»

Comments

• Bluefire
    Bluefire Posts: 476 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I hope you'll be willing to consider Christmas with Mrs K's family next year Alex. Your parents do not deserve to be rewarded for their behaviour. I hope your son wasn't there to hear their rant at least?
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Merry Christmas Alex, glad it went ok at the inlaws, shame your parents couldn't have behaved themselves on Christmas Day though!

Now you need to stop spending money and get back to mse :naughty: it's the best time of year for mfw'rs -plotting, planning and starting the year with good intentions :D

Merry Christmas, NG. :D

Overall things went well. :)

Trying to start the plotting / planning as we speak.
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    I am awaiting the new thread you promised Alex.

Happy New Year when it comes.

Take care.

Thank you, kelpie and happy new year.

As promised I have a new diary ... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5765963
    Bluefire wrote: »
    I hope you'll be willing to consider Christmas with Mrs K's family next year Alex. Your parents do not deserve to be rewarded for their behaviour. I hope your son wasn't there to hear their rant at least?

Trying not to think so far as Christmas next year but I will keep it in mind as I don't want another awful Christmas Day. Yes, my son was there. My parents used to use the day when I was a child to tell me the reasons why they did not get a gift I asked for (I used to always get everything but one gift) which was usually something to do with not living up to expectations, misdemeanours over the year etc. This year I just got the rant.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a sad Christmas tale. Chin up and have fun with Mrs LK's family next year. Like the tale of the snooker challenge....I hope there is a cup for the annual tradition?
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Bluefire
    Bluefire Posts: 476 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Trying not to think so far as Christmas next year but I will keep it in mind as I don't want another awful Christmas Day. Yes, my son was there. My parents used to use the day when I was a child to tell me the reasons why they did not get a gift I asked for (I used to always get everything but one gift) which was usually something to do with not living up to expectations, misdemeanours over the year etc. This year I just got the rant.

I'm glad you're going to think about it. Your son doesn't need to hear his father being berated on any day, least of all Christmas day. If you can't protect yourself, protect him from having his day ruined, especially as these lectures appear to be a holiday tradition for them. They need to learn that they can't act this way if they want to keep your family in their lives.
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    It can be such a testing time of year. How sad that your parents should do that.

I live next door but one to a recently retired brain surgeon and he was explaining to me that there is an age-related frontal lobe deterioration that can make people abnormally uninhibited and aggressive. He was reassuring me after I recently experienced a very uncomfortable meeting where the Chairman of the meeting was really rude and aggressive to me (it was my first meeting, I had not even been welcomed to the group and had said nothing, at that point). I came away believing he had some suppressed hatred of me that had manifested itself but rather, it is an early senility indicator.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »

I'm glad you're going to consider it, really, what an insult it would be to your in-laws if you'd rather go back to your parents after that kind of treatment than spend Christmas with them when they've invited you and it sounds like you've enjoyed their company recently.

Alex, your parents sound awful, they really do. I know they are your parents and you love them anyway, but you don't have to put up with that kind of behaviour!

I've put this on here rather than your new diary because I don't want to bring down the lovely optimistic tone in that one! I wish you and your wife and son all the best for 2018. xx
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    It can be such a testing time of year. How sad that your parents should do that.

I live next door but one to a recently retired brain surgeon and he was explaining to me that there is an age-related frontal lobe deterioration that can make people abnormally uninhibited and aggressive. He was reassuring me after I recently experienced a very uncomfortable meeting where the Chairman of the meeting was really rude and aggressive to me (it was my first meeting, I had not even been welcomed to the group and had said nothing, at that point). I came away believing he had some suppressed hatred of me that had manifested itself but rather, it is an early senility indicator.

Alex's parents did the same to him when he was a child though. :(
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Watty, no cup and I'm not so confident about winning again to mention getting one. :rotfl:

Bluefire, it is difficult and I have been considering why I am as much a part of their lives as I am, to be honest.

SL, I do wonder if everyone's mind deteriorates or possibly just changes to an extent in old age. My father has certainly changed in recent times but has become more reasonable for the most part.

Red Squirrel, things have been OK between the in-laws and I in recent times. Thank you, I hope my new diary will take a less morose tone than this one has. :)

Don't really want to keep posting in two diaries but want to say thank you for everyone's contributions and happy new year. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills