3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Comments

• Hi All.... :)

Another Night Shift but this time (*Touch Wood*) I'm finally feeling better....I feel comfortable and happy and content right now...which is a really nice feeling....a few anxieties but only minor ones that I can live with...

I haven't put anymore Money in my Emergency Fund but that's only because I lost track of time today...I have some money to put in so I'll do that tomorrow and Update tomorrow night... :D

Here's to the Updates... xXx :)

skye blue - I've Updated the First Page....You're doing GREAT...keep on going hun....You can do this and we all can!! I always start my Christmas Shopping early as I just don't tend to have the spare few hundred pounds in December to spend....This Year I'm splashing out a little as I've been doing this Night Work and who better to spend it on than the people that I love....But I am also paying some other things with it as well...But yes, Christmas should be a good one this Year...I know what you mean though, I have felt guilty in the past if I couldn't afford a decent present or if I got more for one person than another...You just have to do what you feel is right hun xXx :)
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 November 2017 at 1:52PM
    Hello hello
    I don't seem to come on here very much any more but I think I would like to have a go at this.
    I'm unable to sleep as I have a rotten cold which is why I'm lurking at 2 in the morning!
    I'd like to build up 6 months emergency fund which will be the amount we put in our 'bills account" every month £1500 so...£9000 :eek:
    Do you guys use your emergency funds if anything comes up in the meantime. I guess you would have to- that's what it's for right?
    Anyway will try to read some of the thread now and come back regularly to update if I remember. :D
    Oh , I have 39pence so far ! Yay

Edit- better make it a round 10k including the extra £1000
    Thanks Dobbibill!

If I include my piggy bank money I've got 42.88 in total. So 9957.12 to go!
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Hello 166million and welcome aboard the challenge. ;)

Here we take our time and add to the fund when we can, some on pay day, some ad-hoc or both. A little here, a bigger bit there and it takes as long as it takes.
    There's no rush but we all cheer each other along the way.

A few of us are also involved in the £1000 Emergency Fund challenge. This is generally good for unplanned surprises like white goods etc.

Helen will give you a number and add your target and progress to the first page when she pops in.

You're off the mark already, well done.

Pop in - share your success and your challenges.

Keep on keeping on.

Dobbi :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Feeling disheartened as had to transfer my emergency and holiday funds to the current account to be Able to cover the rent. I just cannot get the budget right at the moment!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • 166million
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Mooloo wrote: »
    Feeling disheartened as had to transfer my emergency and holiday funds to the current account to be Able to cover the rent. I just cannot get the budget right at the moment!

Hi mooloo I've just started so you can start again with me! At least you had it when you needed it :money: that's why we are doing it after all
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • Hey All :)

A bit of a down day today....just lots of anxieties but I'll get there....I guess that's life, ups and downs....I'll get through today and hopefully tomorrow will be better :)

On the plus side I've added £25 to my 3-6 Month Emergency Fund so I'm really pleased with that....It feels oddly satisfying to put that money into my Pot knowing that it's there if I absolutely need it...

Here's to the Updates... xXx :)

166million - WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!! Lovely to have you here...I've added you to the First Page....So you're officially part of the Family...Do let us know how you get on. I have a few different Emergency Funds....This one, for me, is if the absolute worst happens and I need a couple of months or longer off Work then I know I can use it for that....I have another £1000 Emergency Fund that I'm currently building up and that's for general emergencies and I can dip in and out of that if I need to for emergencies...I hope that helps...We all do things our own way... xXx :)

Dobbibill - Thank you for the lovely Welcome to our newest Member...I hope you're doing well hun xXx :)

Mooloo - Please don't worry, that IS what it's there for as 166million said and thank goodness you had it there if it was needed for Rent....I have started again a few times and you won't hear any judgements here....Just start again when you are able to.... xXx :)
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    166million wrote: »
    Hello hello

Do you guys use your emergency funds if anything comes up in the meantime. I guess you would have to- that's what it's for right?
    Anyway will try to read some of the thread now and come back regularly to update if I remember. :D
    Oh , I have 39pence so far ! Yay

Edit- better make it a round 10k including the extra £1000
    Thanks Dobbibill!

If I include my piggy bank money I've got 42.88 in total. So 9957.12 to go!
    Regarding emergency fund that's what it is for emergencies. Christmas for example is not an emergency. Washing machine breaking could be considered an emergency- for myself for example I could use some one else's for a couple of weeks. A broken down car may be an emergency- however you might want to look at public transport for a month to save up.

For me the emergency fund is for eek I better get that fixed items. This challenge is for ahhh my circumstances have changed how but I have a cushion whilst I adjust.

Don't worry how much you have, every penny counts towards a pound. They will soon build up.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • datlex - That's the perfect explanation for the different Emergency Funds that I have....one is for a real-time Emergency and this one is for if my circumstances drastically change in short space of time and I need a good cushion while I adjust....Thank you... xXx :)
  • 166million
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 November 2017 at 6:02PM
    Thanks guys that’s brilliant
    Thanks for the welcome and I’m sorry you're having a bad time Helen. I too struggle with anxiety - I am going through a redundancy at work so this fund is a bit late in getting started really! It seems like you have a sensible and positive attitude about these things and I hope you don’t let it get you down.
    Thanks datlex. I already save towards Christmas and a few other things and I always know I can take money from those pots if I really need to. I think it’s time the emergency/ cushion pot had its own pot so to speak :money:
    I’m up early again having a lemsip:(
    Hope to speak to you again soon

Have added 12p to round things up to £43
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mooloo wrote: »
    Don't feel disheartened. Just look at why the money wasn't there. Have you looked at the rules on the YNAB website? I think they might help you. Also do you split bills and spend moneys?
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure