Interview outfit?!

I have an interview coming up and had intended to wear either smart trousers / skirt and a shirt or smart top. However family members are telling me I should wear a suit.

I don't want to feel restricted and hot and many company's don't seem to dress in suits these days.

If you are someone who interviews does it make a difference?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    For the sake of clarity, can you confirm your gender (the advice may differ depending on the answer)? And what type of job is it? There's not much point in telling you what to wear for an interview as a senior manager if the job is as a sewage worker (to take things to extremes!).
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks. I'm female and its for a project coordinator for a charity.
  • LadyMcFinch
    LadyMcFinch Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 10:42AM
    I know you asked for people who interview and I don't interview, but for what it's worth I've never worn a suit for an interview, I don't want to spend the money on a good one and could never find a reasonably priced one that looked good!

I wear a smart dress (A-line, knee length navy silk, to be specific) and I've got every job I've interviewed for (3 in the past few years due to relocating). I'm a professional working in the public sector, I'd expect some of the private practices in my field would expect a suit but for a charity I reckon you'd been fine with what you're planning. Obviously a suit is a safe bet, but I don't think it's necessary.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    As long as you look clean tidy and smart it shouldn't matter what particular item of clothing you are wearing.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Smart clothing, of the type which would be appropriate for the work you would be doing, would seem the sensible option to me. I don't think a suit would be necessary. Sadly, the answer would be different if you were a man (I'm a bloke and have always hated wearing a suit).
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have done a lot of interviewing in the past. Just started again for volunteers

I don't think a suit is necessary. I'd say that most of the women I have interviewed did not wear a suit. Smart is good

I am completely with TELLIT01 on suits for men. Hate them, hate them, hate them! Apart from a wedding I haven't worn a suit in the nine years since I retired.
  • pupgrum
    pupgrum Posts: 130 Forumite
    Skirt. For women, long as you look hot everything else does not matter. Sex sells. Political correctness aside, it's true that better looking people always get the better paying job.
  • pupgrum wrote: »
    Skirt. For women, long as you look hot everything else does not matter. Sex sells. Political correctness aside, it's true that better looking people always get the better paying job.

Taking your dubious logic a step further does this mean if the OP is not 'hot' and is, in fact, hideous (at best mediocre), she should:

A) Not bother attending as she has no chance, despite potentially have the best skill set for the job
    b) Wear a bin bag and a hood so as not to offend with her hideous looks?

:o
  • pupgrum
    pupgrum Posts: 130 Forumite
    Taking your dubious logic a step further does this mean if the OP is not 'hot' and is, in fact, hideous (at best mediocre), she should:

A) Not bother attending as she has no chance, despite potentially have the best skill set for the job
    b) Wear a bin bag and a hood so as not to offend with her hideous looks?

:o

Long as the good looking woman is trainable, who cares? I have seen this a number of times, the skilled candidate is rejected and the better looking candidate is hired, despite lacking the skills. If you're hiring a surgeon then yes, the skillset matters the most, but for most jobs, not so much. Why hire someone so skilled they can be a threat to your own job in the future when you can hire someone whose appearance is attractive, and looks good to have walking about when a client walks into the office?

I don't think anyone should ever wear a bin bag. You don't need to hide, but it's true you lose out to attractive women.
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 3:38PM
    Which are you.. The good looking woman or the skilled candidate? Why are you aiming this just at women? are you a woman ? You really sound very sour and bitter. Women ( I hope) are employed for their skills and qualifications ..not because of the length of their skirt???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure