We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

cabbage leaves turning red

phizzimum
phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've had some winter cabbages growing in a pot and now the leaves are turning bright red. What does this mean? I've checked in my book on growing veg but couldn't find anything.

Do they need feeding with something? I'm wondering if it's because they've been in a pot not in the soil and maybe the compost has lost its nutrients or something...:confused:
weaving through the chaos...

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It would suggest they are deficient in some nutrient, try giving them a feed with a soluble fertilizer if you can, whatever you have.

I presume the leaves are turning red at the edges and they aren't in a metal pot or something like that?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • phizzimum
    I'll see what I have in the shed...would tomato feed be alright?

why would metal pot make a difference? (excuse my ignorance!) the pot they're in is just an ordinary garden planter, but I did put copper tape around the pot to deter slugs.
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I believe that sometimes a metal (iron I guess) can make some plants go funny colours, something to do with the oxidising of the metal I suppose. Although I just searched very quickly for it and couldn't find anything, so maybe I'm making it up.

Tomato feed would be fine, a bit of diluted urine (sorry if you are squeamish) wouldn't hurt either.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It could be a reaction to the very cold weather we've had recently.......
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I suppose it might be the cold weather, never say never. Although brassicas are usually very hardy. I suppose the roots could have been frozen, it being in a pot, but then I would expect it to almost be dead by now.

I'm still with a nutrient deficiency, Like to hear what others think about it though.
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Funnily enough I had a walk round the garden after I wrote earlier and some of my purple sprouting broccoli have gone purplish on the edges of the older leaves. I doubt I would have noticed it if I hadn't read this.
    So I'm not sure if this is what you mean phizzmum, I would never usually worry about it, could you put up a photo?
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What was that about the diluted urine? What does that have in that plants like? Is that a generally good tip for feeding plants?

Not that I want to go peeing all round my garden but any kind of free fertiliser helps
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Urine is high in nitrogen. Ideal for adding to compost heaps to boost them.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • phizzimum
    I'll take a photo tomorrow.

I'm not at all squeamish about the urine suggestion! Although I might not tell many people, might put them off eating my veg! Does it matter if it's urine from a man or woman? Remember reading that a man's wee is good for compost heap but not a woman's...is that right?

Thanks for all the replies everyone - I really appreciate it. I planted loads of cabbages and the slugs got all of them except the 3 I put in a pot, so they have great sentimental value to me!
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Its also very good for fertilising plants as well. You can dilute it by about a half. Or full strength on compost heaps. (I've used it full strength on fruit and veg with no problems, but it is said that it can be too strong)

I use it as a good home grown veg keeper. If someone comes round who is not a good friend, I make sure I point out that everything is watered with my own wee, amazing how many won't eat a tomato after that.... more for me :D

edit, looks like we have the same idea :) I used to think that it had to be a mans urine, but apparently not... they will be wanting the vote next :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure