changing providers but still in contract

Ok so my issue is that I am still in a contract with Talktalk until something like the 7th or 9th of December but I have just seen the great deal from sky on the email. I just wondered if it was possible for me to end the contract with talktalk and start up the new one with sky now. Though we would have to return the you view box and pay the line rental I presume. It is only another month so I could hold out but then I don't know if sky will have a great deal like this again. Also wondered if I do change now then how do I add on broadband to my package as the option I want isn't really there, I was thinking variety plus movies and unlimited broadband and the calls thing too. Help please :o

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You are always in contract, meaning a specified length of notice is required to leave, but your minimum term, in which you will have to a pay a penalty to leave (unless given the option because of price rises) is usually 12 months, but can be 18 months.

Assuming you are still within minimum term, there will likely be a penalty to pay, plus a charge for the modem/box if they were free as part of the contract.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    TalkTalk contracts are usually 18 or 24 months.
  • I managed to get them to do me a deal. I only wanted fox and kids channels so instead of leaving (my contract ends in 30 days) they have given me £11 off each month and also half price entertainment boost so it'll be £30.70 for 6 months and £38 something for last 6 months. They gave me a 12 month contract this time. Sending out an engineer to fix the TV box.
  • zen135
    zen135 Posts: 115 Forumite
    You can switch over to Sky now before your minimum term with TalkTalk ends in Dec. You just have to get in touch with Sky and they will take care of the whole switching process (including notifying TalkTalk) and take over the line.

Since the whole process normally takes about 2-3 weeks, the early termination charges by TalkTalk would be minimal. In any case, you can re-claim upto £100 in termination charges from Sky:

http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/broadbandswitchers/v1/
  • NittyGritty
    NittyGritty Posts: 940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 October 2014 at 8:33PM
    if you have broadband and line rental you can switch penalty free, due to the announcement today that talktalk are raising their prices on 1st dec, (you cannot however cancel until you get a letter or email from talk talk notifying you of the increase or you would be charged a penalty fee) so if I were u id wait a week or so until you get that letter and walk away for free.

why bother with all the hassle of sending proof etc off to sky
  • Thank you for this. I wasn't aware, however I am now staying with talktalk as they offered me a good deal that I am happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure