PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am reading and enjoying everyone's posts, but working on the assumption that the thread would be unwieldy if we all commented on it all.

Perhaps if little bear helps you pack the stuff that's going out, it would make him feel better. My DS is a stick-in-the-mud. When he - and DD now - was little, you had to involve him more in things that changed the living environment. So maybe in the morning warn him that you are going to do a little delutter, then show him (rather than let him stumble across it), maybe get him to help you put it into bags - works with DD - and accept that maybe one item in a hundred he can keep!
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Sybil - same way you would deal with anything he doesn't like but is essential for him (eg, medicine, bedtimes, dangerous toys, unsafe buildings). This is how it is.

Those blankets are for the dogs and cats that need them. Those 'things' that aren't needed are for the shop that helps the dogs and cats that need help.

He's only little. Using language which says they already belong to something or someone else might reinforce that they aren't yours or his or the house's property. So he gets some separation from the items.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    With the dog blankets I think if you use them all then there's no reason to get rid of them.

In terms of the rag clothes (sorry can't remember who mentioned it) charity shops will take the rags, I've recently seen some advertising for them which is something we never did when I worked in them. There's money to be made from them so chuck them in with any donations, or just take in the bag of rags, it's all the same to the people sorting the stuff!
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Charity shops will take rags - however if you put them in a bag and mark it 'rags' then the people who sort it will be very grateful to you!

And most of them are volunteers...
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My Oxfam shop takes bags of rags but is very pleased if you mark them as such.

I have been keeping up slow but steady progress. I have had to go hunting for a couple of small but vital items today and while doing so I took a rubbish bin and CS bag along with me. As I've been going through drawers etc I've been tossing anything really obviously rubbish or CS into the relevant container and it's quite surprising how much you can get rid of with no mental effort at all. The drawers in question still need a proper sort out of course but even getting rid of one third from each makes the task far less daunting. I am pretty organised, there's definate places for everything but the trouble is there's just so darn much of everything! And as such I can't necessarily find specific things in a hurry or I can't remember exactly where they are, so I end up owning two of them.

Or more......:eek:

Anyway, I've decided to swear off charity shop buying for a while. If I really, really need something I'll go and look for it of course but I'm not going to go cruising around on the offchance of finding something I like. That's one reason I'm in this mess, I like charity shop hunting far too much.
    Val.
  • alec_eiffel
    Options
    Some people did mark rag bags as such when I've worked in cs but we still had to go through the stuff anyway, to check it was stuff we could rag or was all clothing or if it was something like a bra we sent them off to other charities. So it's nice to think someone has given some thought to bagging up rags but it doesn't make a difference to the time taken to sort a bag ime.

In short, don't allow doing the right thing regarding whether something is a rag or not hinder you when it comes to getting rid of things, just keep on moving through the stuff to get to your goals. There is no perfect solution, just one that's good enough.
  • cyclingyorkie
    Options
    it does make a difference in the charity shop my daughter volunteers in! They really appreciate a label of rags - most people don't and they spend a lot of time sorting stuff which isn't fit to sell!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • alec_eiffel
    Options
    Well if it works for that shop, great, my experience is that it doesn't really save any time though. I worked as a manager and volunteer for the best part of 9 years and we were always trained to go through everything, unless it was obviously filthy and smelled too much.

Regardless of what happens at the other end though I think there's a lot of stress brought on by finding the right place to dispose of things, whereas the main thing is to get the stuff out of the house and when making a decision about any item is tough then done is better than perfect. Perfectionism is what can lead us to grind to a halt and worrying about the end destination of an old towel isn't healthy imo.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Back from town and the Oxfam shop, where I took some of OH's barely worn M&S polo shirts. (He's got a bit too big for them.) I wanted a M&S voucher for the last of the school uniform but of course I then found myself wandering around looking at things as per normal. Then I went to the PDSA shop next door and it was just as I was heading for the BHF down the street that I asked myself what I was doing? That I had said publicly that I wasn't going to do this any more? So I did a body swerve into B&M instead and got my karmic reward in the shape of some of the currently favoured cat food at about a third the price from Tesco. Quick trip to the veg shop and I was gone...there's far too many charity shops in our High Street for a sad addict like me.
    Val.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I gave the craft card and papers to the nursery instead, who were unexpectedly thrilled with it because they said they are always really grateful but they never ask for stuff. I think they are in the difficult situation where nursery fees are so high for parents, but it costs a lot to staff up etc. (When my son was in full time nursery I was much less generous because it was such a huge chunk of salary; now I run my own business I really appreciate small kindnesses). So I feel good about it, plus my daughter will probably use some of it there.

Sun is shining and I would feel great in general but my brother is under a lot of stress and I am worried about him but also trying to avoid getting sucked in to situations that he makes worse for himself.

Decided to make a 12x12 scrapbook of my childhood stuff. I have boxes of carp that I can't throw away but is in now beneficial format (millions of postcards from day trips or that friends sent - all worthless). Partly because we never took photos/snapshots when I was young because of the cost and the fact we never went places as a family. So, aside from school reports, I shall make my scrapbook and anything that doesn't fit in it can go.

Went to the arts supplies shop to get the scrapbook album but it has closed and is moving to new premises. I shall have to look online I think.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure