Vodafone Nightmare- 10x my bill

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    jd93 wrote: »
    bank charge or pay day lender is a fixed charge and arent hidden. They were considered excessive and caused people financial difficulty.

This seems almost identical but instead of a loan it is a minutes allowance. I agree, my ownly chance is to hope for a good will gesture and I will never shop with vodafone ever again, I simply cant afford it hence why I purchased a £9 a month deal.

Its like enticing you in with a low package then massively charging you for unknowingly going over your limit with no sympathy. Seems very unethical....with a tory government I suppose more of this should be expected.

They were an extra charge though, not a cost for using a service, you haven't been hit with a fee or a charge, You have been billed for something you used, and agreed the price of in advance, its totally unrelated.

I keep saying unknowingly? Wasn't it you that used it?
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 October 2016 at 8:26AM
    I've never been notified that I have had a bill from vodafone, ever.

I have been charged 1000% of my monthly fee for going 10% unknowingly over my allowance. How is this not excessive? If this were any other fee say a pay day lender, people would be up in arms !

Without internet on my phone I could not have known In any way that I had gone over my allowance and has now put me in financial difficulty. You may not have sympathy and it is very easy to sit on your perch when you could absorb such a cost. I however bought a £9 plan as I simply cannot affort a £ 90 phone bill, or 2 days salary.

It is very short sighted of you to have no sumpathy, even for pay day lenders.

First and foremost as explained above you have agreed to the terms and conditions thus meaning that when you go over the allocated allowance that you have there will be further charges that you incur, This is nothing like loans and other services as basically you have gone way over the allowed limit of calls and been charged for it.

Any additional costs you have suffered will be down to yourself and I am a Vodafone and have been for many years and always get a notification of my monthly bill so that I can log in and check, I did go way over my allowance a long time ago now and was billed an extra charge above my bill, I called them up as I was unsure about first of all and after they went through it they then agreed to credit back 50% to me, I do however have three monthly contracts running with them so that may have influenced things slightly, I was polite to and this helps every time.

Extra charges with Vodafone here will be at there own discretion as to refunding you anything, Likely scenario is that any thing offered back will go back on your account though, Bank charges for overdraft x 90.00 would suggest numerous missed direct debits at least and Vodafone will not pay you for these.

I will add one final part here and feel free to take it either way but if you really need sympathy then I suggest you go to an older relative for tea and cake as this is a public forum whereby people will give good, bad and constructive to point the advice that may not be to everyone's taste, I am only making this point clear to you in the hopes that you see there is a bigger picture when seeking advice online.
  • jd93
    jd93 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2016 at 8:59AM
    First and foremost, thank you for your input and when do you think vodafone will undertake the procedure to take a pound of flesh from nearest my heart? Friday?

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is there an automated number you can call or query to check allowances? Always use that method as apps (from all mobile providers) are notorious for being hours or even days behind reality, telling you you have allowance remaining when you do not.

As for the cost, it's usually around 50p per minute once you exceed your allowance (Vodafone is 55p per minute). Always get the next package up from your normal usage to ensure you never ever exceed your allowance.
  • jd93
    Thank you Ian for your reply, I agree in future I need to find a more accurate way of checking my allowance and yes this is the first time I have ever gone over my allowance, I'm usually very careful.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 October 2016 at 12:55PM
    First and foremost, thank you for your input Shylock and when do you think vodafone will undertake the procedure to take a pound of flesh from nearest my heart? Friday?

I will add one final part here and feel free to take it either way bit does it give you great satisfaction knowing that someone who cannot afford a large charge gets into financial difficulty and then replying on their thread, then I suggest you go to an older relative and perform fellatio, I am only making this point clear to you in the hopes that you see the bigger picture when replying online.

" I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "

Okay I give up and will tell you the advice you wish to hear :-

Call Vodafone back Today on the main number and explain this very calmly to them as to the exact situation here.

Vodafone will then put the £90.00 you have been charged plus the £90.00 additional charges for your OD in your bank within 10 minutes and to assist you all the more for the trauma you have experienced will also pay you damages amounting to approx. £500.0000 for this horrible life changing problem.

You came onto a forum to rant about a situation and have been told clearly that it will not matter what you say as you have gone over the allowed minutes so charges can be applied as per agreement, I then stated my issue and was polite when I rang them and had some credited back although it was on my account.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    bank charge or pay day lender is a fixed charge and arent hidden. They were considered excessive and caused people financial difficulty.

This seems almost identical but instead of a loan it is a minutes allowance. I agree, my ownly chance is to hope for a good will gesture and I will never shop with vodafone ever again, I simply cant afford it hence why I purchased a £9 a month deal.

Its like enticing you in with a low package then massively charging you for unknowingly going over your limit with no sympathy. Seems very unethical....with a tory government I suppose more of this should be expected.
    Yeah cos the mobile companies never ripped people off under Labour :rotfl:

Seriously though, you are right, it's scandalous. Charging about 100x the package rate for going a bit over is a total rip-off. It's like a restaurant charging you £100 for a coffee after your meal, or a pub charging you £300 for a pint.

Obviously all the sanctimonious "you agreed to the charges, you should have checked" crowd would always check the restuarant menu for the price of coffee before ordering, and would always check the bar tariff before ordering a pint in a pub. Rather than stupidly assuming it will be reasonable and not a total rip-off.

Go PAYG, it's far safer. Or at least get a capped contract - not sure if Vodafone do these but others do - but make sure it's properly capped with NO exclusions.
  • jd93
    Thank you Zagfles I thought I was the only person that thought this might be a tad excessive for going a bit over ! haha

I've asked if they can limit my usage, they cant apparently. Set up to fail really and I guess this is how you make billions of pounds in profit, while really upsetting your customers. What a lovely company.
  • jd93 wrote: »
    I've asked if they can limit my usage, they cant apparently. Set up to fail really and I guess this is how you make billions of pounds in profit, while really upsetting your customers. What a lovely company.
    Ditch Vodafone, other networks have spending caps. Three have a zero overspend cap (basically it's on or off, users can turn it on/off themselves via the Three web site), Tesco Mobile have caps too, not sure how it's set as we are Three contract customers.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Thank you Zagfles I thought I was the only person that thought this might be a tad excessive for going a bit over ! haha

It's like excessive roaming charges, and charges when phones are stolen and thieves run up hundreds or thousands in premium rate charges. It's frighenting how many people don't have PIN codes on their SIM and phone, both of which are essential if you have a contract. Having no PIN is like having a bank card with no PIN, a thief could probably spend as much or more on a stolen mobile than they could with a stolen credit card with the PIN number written on it.

Things have impoved on both those fronts over the last 5 years or so, there's a cap on liability assuming you jump through the right hoops in time, and the EU have stopped the roaming rip-off at least in the EU. Though with Brexit this might come back...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure