Bt 1571

Noozan
Noozan Posts: 1,058
First Post
Forumite
For some reason unbeknown to me and DH, we seem to have BT's 1571 on our phone :confused: It's annoying me as it seems to cut in before our answerphone does so whoever leaves a message ends up leaving it on the BT remote answerphone :mad: I tried phoning 1571 but after listening to and deleting the messages, it just says goodbye. Does anyone know how to switch it off and make it stay off?
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....

Comments

• pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Just phone BT on 150,and ask them to remove it.
    PF.
  • shilcor
    shilcor Posts: 165 Forumite
    Or alternatively, set your answering machine to answer calls in less rings than BT1571. I have Onetel's equivalent 1571 on my line and it's useful to have that take any messages if we happen to forget to turn the answering machine on before we go out. Most (although not all) answering machines can be set to pick up after 2,4 or 6 rings so check your machine handbook before taking 1571 off.
    Retired so trying to save even more!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I'd still encourage you to have 1571 turned off.

Why should callers have to pay their provider's minimum call charge when they're answered by 1571 when you're in but engaged on another call?

My (real) answering machine is set to answer after 9 rings so F&F know that, they can hang up after 7 rings and not be charged or hang on 2 more rings and leave a message.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058
    First Post
    Forumite
    Heinz wrote:
    My (real) answering machine is set to answer after 9 rings so F&F know that, they can hang up after 7 rings and not be charged or hang on 2 more rings and leave a message.

1571 is turned off now, I phoned BT yesterday and asked them to take it off.

Our answerphone is also set to 9 rings and everyone knows this; so it's their choice to hang on if they want to leave a message. :)

I never knew if someone had a left a message on 1571 - when we pick up the phone, we are both in the habit of dialing whatever number and then pressing the connect button, so we never actually heard the dial tone.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    I hate 1571 too, BT just give it away free because they know they make huge profits on people get the 1571 instead of engaged, plus they get the cost (or at least cut of) the incoming call and then rake it in on the return call unless you route outgoing calls elsewhere.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure