virgin landline BEWARE-stung by hidden charges!

have had virgin landline for quite a while now, but wondered why my bills were unusually high, dismissed as thought it was probably kids using, however, i often press 3 when requested if i use 1471 after missing a call. (as i often do , as after only a few rings it goes very quickly onto voicemail)
yesterday i did this and one of my kids jokingly said , thats a 50p charge, that got me thinking,
i phoned virgin, and asked what the charge was (if any) for pressing 3 . she didnt know saying she had been working there for 4 years but noone has ever asked this before.
anyway i was on hold for a while and she came back saying it was 10p a minute and this call would NOT be included in your inclusive free landline calls.
i was totally flabbergasted and felt like kicking myself for not enquiring about this earlier.
i just assumed that it might be about 3p charge - if any- and that the calls would be included in the inclusive mins.
:mad:
sorry about the long rant, but i had to get this off my mind
Nice to save.

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    You should be ashamed! Making use of a service without any clear knowledge of the price - that's hardly Virgin's fault! BT charge slightly less for using the call back, but even they will not treat it as a self-dialled call to be included within any call bundles. In this day and age, always expect a charge for anything outwith the ordinary - calls to DQ that are connected by them also cost a fortune too - consumers beware!
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ok , i admit fault, i can understand a basic charge to use the service, however the remaining cost of the call not being included in free landline calls is grossly unfair.
    Nice to save.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    have had Virgin landline for quite a while now, but wondered why my bills were unusually high, dismissed as thought it was probably kids using, however, I often press 3 when requested if I use 1471 after missing a call. (as I often do , as after only a few rings it goes very quickly onto voicemail)
    yesterday I did this and one of my kids jokingly said , that's a 50p charge, that got me thinking.

I phoned Virgin, and asked what the charge was (if any) for pressing 3, she didn't know saying she had been working there for 4 years but no one has ever asked this before.

Anyway I was on hold for a while and she came back saying it was 10p a minute and this call would NOT be included in your inclusive free landline calls.

I was totally flabbergasted and felt like kicking myself for not enquiring about this earlier.

I just assumed that it might be about 3p charge - if any- and that the calls would be included in the inclusive mins.
    :mad:

Sorry about the long rant, but I had to get this off my mind

If you have a Virgin Media CABLE landline there there is NO charge for pressing 3 to return the call, also if you do press 3 to return the call you are charged at your usual rates, if you get inclusive calls such as weekends then the call will be inclusive.

The person you spoke to, was incorrect in what they said.

If you have a BT landline and calls are routed through Virgin, then BT do charge a fee for pressing 3 and have done so for a few years or so, however the cost of the call with be charged by Virgin at your usual rate.

You have probably found your bills rising simply because VM increased and increased and increased call costs and for the last 7 years and more have been dearer than even BT (other than for pressing 3, where they don't charge if you are a cable customer).
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • rabialiones
    Forumite
    i am a virgin cable customer, not bt
    i have unlimited 24/7 national and local calls package, however my bills seem to be unusually high , compared with usage
    another disadvantage is that calls 50p and under are not itemised , so i cannot check the usage.
    Nice to save.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    i am a virgin cable customer, not bt
    i have unlimited 24/7 national and local calls package, however my bills seem to be unusually high , compared with usage
    another disadvantage is that calls 50p and under are not itemised , so i cannot check the usage.

It could be calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers, as VM are a rip-off for them.

Worth seeing if the number is listed on https://www.saynoto0870.com.

Also VM charge high prices to mobiles.

Note calls are rounded up to the minute and there's a call connection charge.

For example call a Three mobile and hang up when you here it is voicemail and you are charged 7.82p connection and 26.42p for the first minute, therefore the call has just cost you for a few seconds 34.24p

Other mobile networks 14.68p for the first minute and 7.82p connection, so a few seconds would cost 22.5p

Similar with calls to 0870 and 0845 etc. Connection charge and high call rates.

If you do call mobiles and hit voicemail might be worth leaving a brief message and hope they call you back, or what I do is once I get stung with voicemail once, I never call that mobile number back again and send a text telling them, I can't call them because I don't want to be charged for calls to voicemail and then for them not to bother checking voicemail because it costs them to do so. They then usually get voicemail cancelled, and those that don't cancel voicemail remain on my do not call list.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • rabialiones
    Forumite
    thanks for the info,
    think i will say bye to virgin when my contract finishes
    Nice to save.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,719
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    until your contract does end, why not join the phone co-op for free? They will give you a freephone 0800 number to make all "non-inclusive" calls through - they have no 7p connection fee like Virgin, charge less for 0845/0870 and will itemise every call for free. Minimum call charge is 1p+VAT.

http://www.thephone.coop/residential/telephone/callerplus.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport