Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The good bit with Norway is that an inter-connector could work both ways so Norway could use less of its hydro for its own use during off peak by buying in our base load and then sell hydro back to us at peak thus even standard hydro (not pumped) can effectively be a battery.
    I think....
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Martyn. I knew a gentle nudge could get you to spill more fascinating facts on the subject.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Netherlands moots electric car future with petrol and diesel ban by 2025
    Dutch politicians have voted through a motion calling on the country to ban sales of new petrol and diesel cars starting in 2025.

The motion has only passed through the lower house of the Netherlands’ parliament, and would need to pass through the Dutch senate to become legally binding. But its success in a majority vote puts the earliest date yet on just when a major country might begin phasing out polluting transportation.

Austria May Ban Sales Of New Gas & Diesel Cars By 2020
    The end of the internal combustion engine may be nearer than carmakers think. The Austrian Ministry of Agriculture and Environment is working on a study that would mean an end to conventional cars sales… four years from now. And it’s the fourth country doing so, though the dates differ.

Add Austria to the list of countries (India, Netherlands, and Norway) that are considering banning sales of new non-electric vehicles. In the case of those in parentheses, the target year is 2025. Austria is more ambitious.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • kevin6666
    kevin6666 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Lol @ banning IC cars by 2020.

Battery tech atm is going virtually nowhere. Just compare your smart phone or laptop from 5 years ago to todays latest and greatest. My latest smart phone has worse battery life.

Needs to be a break through in battery tech which isn't going to happen by 2020 so electric cars will remain little more than extended range mobility scooters.

Having said that diesel cars need banning/emissions fixing.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    kevin6666 wrote: »
    Lol @ banning IC cars by 2020.

Sorry Kevin, I couldn't get your link to work?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • kevin6666
    Options
    I didn't put a link, see your post above it
    "Austria May Ban Sales Of New Gas & Diesel Cars By 2020"
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    I didn't put a link, see your post above it
    "Austria May Ban Sales Of New Gas & Diesel Cars By 2020"

Yep, I'm aware of my link to an article about banning the sales of IC cars by 2025 and 2020.

But I couldn't find any link to your comments about banning IC cars?

You do have something to support your claim / news item don't you?

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Thanks Martyn. I knew a gentle nudge could get you to spill more fascinating facts on the subject.

Hiya ET, do you want some more pumped hydro info?

Well, you know I said the UK had around 30GWh at the moment, how's about an extra 6,800GWh, equivalent to about 8 days full leccy demand in the UK. Able to supply between 159GW and 255GW of leccy - the UK peak demand is around 55GW in the winter evenings.

This scheme will never be built, but it's an interesting idea and read, nonetheless:

World’s biggest-ever pumped-storage hydro-scheme, for Scotland?

Mart.

• kevin6666
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm aware of my link to an article about banning the sales of IC cars by 2025 and 2020.

But I couldn't find any link to your comments about banning IC cars?

You do have something to support your claim / news item don't you?

Mart.

Err I missed the word "sales" from my post.

I meant banning of new IC cars sales not banning of existing cars.

As I said it will not happen.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My latest smart phone has worse battery life.
    That's probably more to do with the amount of apps and other crap that's put on the latest tech than the battery itself.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback