Halifax Clarity credit card for holiday spending

Options

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marrbett wrote: »
    I'm awaiting this card as we're about to go abroad shortly. I was planning on just using it to withdraw cash from an atm whilst there. Is that the best use of this card? I've never used a credit card abroad, usually just take cash and use that.
    Thanks
    You should use it for all transactions abroad, including purchases. Just be mindful of the warning in post #10. And don't forget a back up card!

Personally I prefer to split my use across several cards, all with favourable forex terms, so cash is drawn on Metro Debit (in the EU), car hire only is put on Nationwide Select (just in case of any 'issues'/disputes later), and all other purchases put on Santander Zero. Santander Zero is also my back up card for cash (but is then settled immediately via online banking as it's 27.9% APR).

You'll notice I don't have Halifax Clarity (which, if you only have one, is the best). I prefer to save Halifax for 0% cards as I'm pretty well covered for overseas with the cards I already have.
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should use it for all transactions abroad, including purchases. Just be mindful of the warning in post #10. And don't forget a back up card!

Personally I prefer to split my use across several cards, all with favourable forex terms, so cash is drawn on Metro Debit (in the EU), car hire only is put on Nationwide Select (just in case of any 'issues'/disputes later), and all other purchases put on Santander Zero. Santander Zero is also my back up card for cash (but is then settled immediately via online banking as it's 27.9% APR).

You'll notice I don't have Halifax Clarity (which, if you only have one, is the best). I prefer to save Halifax for 0% cards as I'm pretty well covered for overseas with the cards I already have.

Thanks for this, very helpful :)
  • ClarkeKent
    ClarkeKent Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    Very useful answers here thanks, Halifax Clarity looks a handy tool to have in the wallet. Even for just buying $ stuff online
  • mn2203
    mn2203 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm off to NZ in a few months, so been looking into the best ways to spend - figured a CC for purchases so I can settle up when I get home, but was also looking for the cheapest way to withdraw cash.
    (I don't usually use cash much here in the UK as put even small things on my debit card, but figured I will probably need some cash for the places that don't take cc for low amounts.)
    How do pre paid cards like Revolut compare?
    Thanks
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    mn2203 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm off to NZ in a few months, so been looking into the best ways to spend - figured a CC for purchases so I can settle up when I get home, but was also looking for the cheapest way to withdraw cash.
    (I don't usually use cash much here in the UK as put even small things on my debit card, but figured I will probably need some cash for the places that don't take cc for low amounts.)
    How do pre paid cards like Revolut compare?
    Thanks

Use Clarity for ATM withdrawals and cover the next day with an online payment.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Use Clarity for ATM withdrawals and cover the next day with an online payment.

Subject to my comment in #10
  • pammy14
    pammy14 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had clarity for years. Always use abroad. Just had to pay £27 interest from using in June. Phone them and they said even if I clear the account in full every month which I always do byDD I will be charged interest on the cash withdrawal for 2 months. I asked if I paid it off as soon as I came back from holiday would I still pay and she said yes 2 months but the interest might be less. I never knew this before, thought I would only be paying till the account was paid in full the next month.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pammy14 wrote: »
    I have had clarity for years. Always use abroad. Just had to pay £27 interest from using in June. Phone them and they said even if I clear the account in full every month which I always do byDD I will be charged interest on the cash withdrawal for 2 months. I asked if I paid it off as soon as I came back from holiday would I still pay and she said yes 2 months but the interest might be less. I never knew this before, thought I would only be paying till the account was paid in full the next month.

The Thing to do if you are withdrawing cash is to pay off a cash advance as soon as you can, on holiday if convenient and secure, or as soon as you return home. The interplay with purchases can make the allocation of payments complicated, best to pay a little more than you need as this will avoid trailing interests and probably put your account into a small credit.
  • pammy14
    pammy14 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I asked her on r the phone if I did this would it stop the trailing interest and she implied that it wouldn't, but I will try it next time.
  • mn2203
    mn2203 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Subject to my comment in #10

Hi
    I'm thinking land & take out a few hundred NZ dollars and pay this off online while staying overnight at the hotel, then use it for spending - the rest of my holiday will be small hotels/ hostels so hoping to use as a spending card rather than ATM withdrawals as much as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure