NHS Exemption Card....haven't received mine yet

Comments

• sandhabibi
    sandhabibi Posts: 421 Forumite
    Jummy wrote:
    Hi:)
    My partner and i receive WTC and CTC and our income is below 15,000.
    I have not received our exemption cards yet and just wondered if any of you are still waiting for yours.
    I have a dentist appointment this week and haven't got a card to show them,so I'm wondering if they might make me pay for my treatment.
    Can i just show the dentist my award letter for now until the cards arrive?
    :)
    I didn't know I was entitled to this but recieved my cards in June, been claiming CTC since January.
    On my form that came with it this is stated-
    Refunds if you have already paid NHS charges and wish to make a claim for refund you must make yr claim within 3 months of-:
    -paying dental charges,prescription charges,wig/fabric support charges or hospital travel costs.
    -Paying a deposit or the full charge for glasses or contact lenses.
    -The date of the sight test.
    To claim a refund of NHS prescription charges you must have obtained a form FP57 (in England) from yr pharmacist,doctor or hospital when you paid for yr NHS prescription(you can't get one later) it tells you what to do.
    To claim a refund of other NHS charges get form HC5 available from benefit office or NHS hospitals, yr dentist or optician may have one to

Hope this helps as got typers cramp now,
    :rotfl: Just seen website address too, https://www.ppa.org.uk
    Olympic bronze challenge-started 7/1/06-total so far is £194.30
  • Jummy
    Jummy Posts: 692 Forumite
    The cards arrived this morning :)
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Just found this old thread having googled for 'dental exemption cards' as I don't recall ever having received one and my dentist asked to see it recently but all I could show her was my benefit award letter :confused:

It appears from this thread that they were sent out a couple of years ago so who do I go about contacting to get one please?
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Do you claim tax credits?

You must meet the following criteria:
    You must have a household income of less than £15,050
    You must receive WTC & CTC or WTC with the disability element.

If you meet this criteria you will automatically be sent your exemption card.

If you dont claim Tax Credits you may still apply through the NHS Low Income Scheme. You can apply for assistance on an HC1 form - you would get this from your local Job Centre or by calling 0870 155 5455.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10018978
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I meet the criteria and have done for the past 5 years, hence why I'm puzzled that I've never received a card and cue much embarrassment whilst at the dentist when they asked me to produce this card which I'd never even heard of! :o

I'll have a look at the link you supplied and see if there's somewhere there I can apply for it.

ETA: Hmmmm it seems I need to obtain form HC1, which my dentist could have supplied me with, to apply for the card :rolleyes:
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No I have an HC2 form AND an NHS exemption card. The HC2 form i had to apply for but the NHS card came through about 6 weeks after my tax credits was confirmed.
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    kenshaz wrote: »
    Yes,but it depends on him or her if they accept it

Not unless the letter says theyre entitled to free dental care.
  • edina
    edina Posts: 178 Forumite
    I have a medical exemption card because of the tablets I'm on, that i need to take everyday. I can't get dental help with that can I? :confused:
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    edina wrote: »
    I have a medical exemption card because of the tablets I'm on, that i need to take everyday. I can't get dental help with that can I? :confused:

No. Its a medical/prescription exemption card, NOT a tax credit exemption card
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edina wrote: »

you would need to check, i know im not entitled to free dental treatment despite having a medical exemption card
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure