A new start for a newbie

vintage43
vintage43 Posts: 386 Forumite
edited 22 November 2011 at 8:17PM in Debt free diaries
I have been a lurker on this site for about two years now and decided that after ordering £236 of christmas party clothes from n*xt that I really do have a spending problem. I guess it's kind of like having a drink problem, where I'll be really good for a short while and then do something completely impulsive and waste a shed load of money I can't afford. So the lovely clothes went unopened and I repacked them into the returns bag and will drop them at the post office tomorrow.
I work full time but have just gone back to work after having quite along time off and now have to have another small op tomorrow which is going to keep me off work for another two weeks, I have run out of sick pay and have a mortgage of over £700 per month, so spending £236 on sparkly clothes is ridiculous!! I have three teenage boys and a dog and am a single parent, I bought the house 3 years ago after being in shared ownership. Ideally I'd like to clear all my debts and get onto the mortgage free board, I know I can do it if I try
I'm hoping that writing on this daily will give me the motivation to stay focused.
Today I have had my very first NSD EVER:j
I also cleared out the money jar, using a knife so I didn't break it and got £115.61 which I'll pay off the mortgage tomorrow.
Made stock from the chicken carcass, pulled all the remaining chicken off the bones and put it in the freezer, fed the dog with the left over lunch bits and chicken skin.
Went through and organised all my birthday cards, gift tags and wrapping paper, I'm a sucker for buying pretty birthday bits and have at least enough to last me all of next year and maybe a bit more.
I sold a chest of Drawers I was going to skip on E*ay for £43!!!!
I won't post now probably til Wednesday when I'm home after the op but I am feeling so happy that I have made a start that I can't tell you:)
I have put a rough estimate of debts on my signature and am going to concentrate on the overdraft first, then the credit card or should it be the other way around because of the interest?
I haven't put the loan on yet that I took out for £9000 to update the house over 18 months ago, as I need to check how much it is now, I wasted most of it, can't think what on now which is worrying, all I seem to have to show for it is a new door and windows!!
Anyway enough waffle, I'm going to cringe my way through the XFactor
Thanks for taking the time to read:A

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
vintage43:A
NSD 42/365 2012
- A new start for a newbie
Next - £1033.62 :( Barclaycard - £5683 :( Mortgage - £125471 :( Overdraft - £903:eek::(Loan £3562 - :( Total Debts = £10179 Monthly shopping £100 spent so far £12.65

Comments

• May2013
    May2013 Posts: 423 Forumite
    Hi Vintage :hello: ...welcome.
    It sounds like you've well and truly had your LBM...well done!!

You sound very determined to tackle this...it might be worth posting your SOA (the link is at the top of the board), there are some really amazing folk on here who might be able to give you some pointers to speed up your journey.

Lots of luck xx
    LBM Aug '07 Debt [STRIKE]£52,615[/STRIKE] :eek: DEBT FREE Aug '12 :j
    Cap One CC £[STRIKE]5000[/STRIKE]/£0 - HSBC CC £[STRIKE]7500[/STRIKE]/£0 - HSBC Loan £[STRIKE]12,225[/STRIKE]/£0
    M&S CC £[STRIKE]11,500[/STRIKE]/£0 - Egg CC £[STRIKE]8750[/STRIKE]/£0 - Sains CC £[STRIKE]3000[/STRIKE]/£0
    HMRC £[STRIKE]3140[/STRIKE]/£0 - OD £[STRIKE]1500[/STRIKE]/£0
    Pay off ALL your debt by Xmas 2012 £14,128/£14,128 :j
  • vintage43
    I'll have a go at a SOA during the week, it seems a bit scary, but would be really helpful, Just been on Credit expert and updated my signature to reflect what I really owe, it's saying my credit card is less than I put, so i have left it as I know I have hammered it this month, first month back at work and 1/2 wages = not enough petrol money which averages at £60.00 per week for work, I should get some back in my wage packet as work have moved offices since Ive been off and are going to pay me the difference of 30 miles a day, so that will help, but it's only for 18 months!
    they have also agreed to putting all my untaken holidays pay in the bank for me in Novembers paypacket, so that should help with the two weeks off for the op.
    Thanks for the info - I will do it at the end of the week when I have sorted out all the paperwork! x:o
    NSD 42/365 2012
    Next - £1033.62 :( Barclaycard - £5683 :( Mortgage - £125471 :( Overdraft - £903:eek::(Loan £3562 - :( Total Debts = £10179 Monthly shopping £100 spent so far £12.65
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    :T welldone for facing your problem and doing so much towards it already. You seem to have a good set of goals to aim for and seemed very determined and you are certainly in the right place for support and help:)

I also have a bit of a binge shopping problem linked to depression which was a factor in my debt and it is something that even now i am worried about because i know it would be easy to slip back into that habit if i let myself.My DF journey has helped me recognise the triggers and find more positive responses to a down day.

I hope the op goes well:)
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • vintage43
    Thanks QueenB, so many pretty things, so little money, I'm determined to reign myself in now! thanks for the post x
    NSD 42/365 2012
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Another person who has the spending sprees, like yourself trying to reign them in. Well done on sending all the parcel back.

You take care, good luck with the op xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Welcome :wave:

Well done on starting, eBay can become addictive when you start and raise quite a bit. Is the money you've found about the house going on the monthly mortgage payment? or and overpayment? If an overpayment I'd get it off a debt first - the interest is higher on those.

Best of luck for tomorrow.
    You have to start to finish.

LBM - September 2011 ~ DEBT FREE July 2012
    Debt Sept 2011: [STRIKE]£11,276.05[/STRIKE], July 2012: £0
    VSP Challenge #69: £18.12
  • Cherryjack
    Cherryjack Posts: 1,125
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    will enjoy reading your posts! Good luck and hope the op goes well x
  • vintage43
    edited 7 November 2011 at 7:45AM
    Welcome :wave:

Well done on starting, eBay can become addictive when you start and raise quite a bit. Is the money you've found about the house going on the monthly mortgage payment? or and overpayment? If an overpayment I'd get it off a debt first - the interest is higher on those.

Best of luck for tomorrow.

I'm not sure on which to pay off first, I was going to go for the Overdraft but I might go for the credit card instead as the interest is higher, so your right, paying a debt off first makes better sense! Oh no just checked bank and overdraft has gone up, Sorry Aiming High, I still can't work out how you put lines through the amount DERRR!
    NSD 42/365 2012
  • Good luck with this Vintage, I think you have motivated me to start my DFW diary!!
    Loan £19,728 £1,541 Virg £14,273.81 £8,228 @0% Barc £10,056 £0 NatW £3,682.73 £2,917 MBNA £9,624 £8,654 @0% Overdraft £3,500 £2,000Starting Jan 20 Total Debt £51,239 Mar 23 £23,341 DFD Jan 25 22mths to go Mortgage £248,011.94 £239,659 - MFD Nov 2047 Nov 2046 - LTV 66%EF £0/£300My diary{/URL}
  • vintage43 wrote: »
    I'm not sure on which to pay off first, I was going to go for the Overdraft but I might go for the credit card instead as the interest is higher, so your right, paying a debt off first makes better sense! Oh no just checked bank and overdraft has gone up, Sorry Aiming High, I still can't work out how you put lines through the amount DERRR!

You use this button http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_style_1/buttons/strike.gif

If you click on the link, it shows the button to click on. Next to the hash across the top.
    You have to start to finish.

LBM - September 2011 ~ DEBT FREE July 2012
    Debt Sept 2011: [STRIKE]£11,276.05[/STRIKE], July 2012: £0
    VSP Challenge #69: £18.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business