PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question about slow cookers

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi chloe,

This probably isn't much use to you as my slow cooker is almost 22 years old.

Model: Tower
    Capacity: 3ltrs
    Wattage: 135 watts
    Cost: No idea it was a wedding present

For me the main benefit of a slow cooker is if you've been out all day for whatever reason, coming home to find a hot meal waiting for you. I would definitely recommend getting one. :)

Pink
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi,

Mine is a cordon bleu one from Argos and the wattage is 130-190. I bought it last October and believe it is still a current item.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Aldi Delta slow cooker = 320 Watts.
  • 10000000000000000 kw ! my god is it good !

lol hows Fleetwood btw ?
    Miss the old place and Cleveleys and BM

:j
  • PoshPaws_3
    PoshPaws_3 Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Post
    I haven't got a clue about all the stuff you wanted to know about my slow cooker - but I got mine as a gift from my parents at christmas and I'm completely in love with it.

Prior to this, I had a little one that was ideal for one busy person. I'd put everything in it the night before and keep it in the fridge. In the morning, before leaving to walk dogs and do the horses prior to work, I'd pop it in the slow cooker, add boiling water (and a stock cube) and by the time I got home around 9pm, I'd have a lovely hot stew waiting for me. Bliss.

My new SC is big enough to cook a whole chicken and its friend, if needs be.

I have noticed no increase in our electricity consumption since getting it at Christmas - and I use it, on average, between 3-5 times a week.

I think the way to get the best out of your SC, is to investigate what other people are cooking in theirs. I had no idea it could be used to make yoghurt, for instance. Or rice pudding! Or curry! Its not just a vehicle for a good stew.

If your oven takes 45 minutes to come up to heat, a SC would have been cooking for at least 40 of those minutes. :)
    :hello: I'm very well, considering the state I'm in. :hello:
    Weight loss since 2 March 10 : 13lbs
  • Slow Cooker Costs….. :p

Brand: Prima PS 035
    Wattage: 180
    Capacity: 3.5 ltr
    Running Cost: 1.52 pence/hour

The 1.52 pence/hr above is a little out of date as I need to update with the latest electricity increases. I use mine roughly twice a week for approximately 7 hours at a time. The SC has three settings – High, Low and Auto. I just use the Auto setting myself. :rolleyes: So the total cost for using it twice a week for seven hours at a time works out at (1.52p x 14) = 21.28 pence. Roughly the same cost of running two light bulbs for the same length of time. :D

I too make casseroles in the oven (gas) but this is done when I have decided I am ravenously, starving hungry and its late in the day so pop all the bits and pieces in the casserole dish and into the oven for about an hour and a half. I generally use the Slow Cooker for making really great tasting chicken or beef curries and also stew and dumplings and so on.

My own feeling is that Slow Cookers are a really good, simple invention, very useful and convenient, makes delicious meals and are quite cheap. Mine cost £18.00. :D
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    chloe99 wrote:
    It takes 45mins to warm up my electric oven (stupid thing) plus say 1hr 45 mins to cook chicken and 2 hrs 30 to cook meat. So, total ON time in a week is approx 8.25hrs at approx 1kwh = 36kwh per month. This was looking good when I read that they are usually the same wattage as a light bulb (= 100w x say 6 hrs to cook x 3 times per week = 7.8kwh per month giving a good annual post-price rise electricity saving of approx £22 per year at 6.5p per kwh - woohoo!!!!!)

BUT, I read in one thread that the newer slow cookers have higher wattages than they used to and so 300w for 6 hours per meal won't really be much of a saving (£9.81 per year to be precise).

Hiya :)

We have a couple of older threads discussing the economics of using a slow cooker and I've now added your thread onto one that has some useful and informative links too.

Posts are listed in date order, so you will need to read this thread from the beginning to catch up.

Good luck.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    the main advantage for me with the SC is ,you can leave it on all day without worrying / bothering with it

also then im free to use the oven for batch baking muffins / cookies etc (i have a teeny tiny oven : ( )
  • katglasgow
    katglasgow Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would really appreciate if someone could explain to me what Auto actually does! So far I have bunged everything on at low for 8 hours and that seems to have worked fine. Is auto hotter of cooler or does it change?

I bought the SWAN 3.5 litre from LX Direct with the discount comeone posted on here so it cst £10. I've had it for about a month and am using it once nor twice a week: so far have done whole chicken, stock, soup, roast beef, potato cheesy bake, curry and chicken in tomato sauce. Its brilliant, I keep thiniing of more and more ways to use it! The benefit for me as a working mum is havng tea ready as soon as we get in at night time.
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There's some differnce in the way auto works in different cookers. My book for one says that auto heats on high until the meal is cooked and then keeps it warm. The other says that it heats quickly on high and then cooks on low when it has reached the proper temperature.

The Swan Book says:- AUTO WARM: will cook food same as the High setting but when the correct temperature is attained, will automatically maintain a steady temperature. Cooking time: between 8 to 9 hours.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure