Santander, how many current accounts?

Comments

• slush
    slush Posts: 108 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mrchagle wrote: »
    MMMMmmmm, thanks. I have 3 already however I don't use them for DD's... just basic "savings accounts" receiving 5% ...

Thanks for the feedback, the good and bad.. but mostly bad. :-)

The OH and I never used any of the personal accounts for DDs either. Just like you... to get the 5%.

But the mess that they generated with our finances has been incredible. Messing up credit histories with errors that they have generated; putting completely separate business accounts at risk by screwing up online access and linking them with personal accounts; by giving me online access to someone else’s accounts; and then doing absolutely NOTHING to put the mess right.
  • flexrider
    flexrider Posts: 745 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2011 at 12:47AM
    slush wrote: »
    You can have more than that. OH and I certainly did.

But be warned, eventually they totally screwed things up, affecting 12 accounts, 9 personal and 3 business.

Their incompetence is beyond belief... we are now persuing the matter with the Financial Ombudsman and the Information Commissioner.

We would rather hastle free banking, something alien to Santander, than the 5%.

Any bank can mess up. But the sign of a good bank is what theyy do when something has gone wrong.

Santander have repeatedly been told what has gone wrong. And have done nothing to put any of it right.... but instead have compounded the problems at every stage.

I even have online access to someone else's Santander accounts, their credit card and more! We have complained to Santander and they have done nothing about it. I have even taken proof to the local branch manager. And still they have done nothing!

They are not worth the 5%.... for all the hastle and grief you risk exposing yourself to.

Don't just take my word for it.... look through countless threads on these forums.

Regards, Slush.

PS If anyone on here is from Santander... please challange any of the above and I'll willing prove what I'm saying.

To start with i am not challenging you(do not work for them either)
    I am in agreement, I still Bank with Santander but for business use i use Barclays and My local Building society (Cheshire) because they have more intrest then 5% percent on my account every time i deposit the funds (I have receive 8% last time) This plan is called a continuity plan,No longer available to new customers and the service i get when i go in their is excellent as in i speak to my account manager over a cuppa tea in the office, Name me one other place were they do that?

here is why i do not choose santander at all,

July 2009:Opened preferred in credit current account deposited 50k away into it,(Business funds) Waited a whole month for card. Contacted them, Was told i never received the card because my account is being investigated for fraudulent reasons, Got to the bottom of it when it was all about me paying From old account which was Halifax the 50k direct to new account, Had to go back to Halifax to prove the money transaction is sure real enough! Quick call to ombudsmans! Two weeks later sant backed down with 2 payments of goodwill still no intrest mind!

On the preferred account they advertised pay in 1,000 pounds and receive intrest, Still awaiting today for my 50k intrest i paid in. Been asked plenty of times do i wish to upgrade to the zero account told them no. Complined to the FSA and ombudsman for flase advertisment,and problems Santander wrote back saying they will look into it, Still no intrest added to account, the fight goes on! Have moved back the 50k to barclays now! receiving better intrest then santander ever shown. That account is only got the overdraft set up on it and hardly use it now(Have also cut up the card)

October 2010: opened a second current account with visa debit card. Took all id to the store on day of opening, Opened no problem left to beleive that,

Again account flagged by fraud team for no ID yet i provded my passport and driving licence in store, Took a whole month to retify, In the ending marched into to liverpool and to the place i opened my account spoke to the bank manager their who was unhelpful-refused to move until he sorted it out!! Another quick call to FSA ombudsman! Received 2 130.00 good will charges for the error but bank tried to retify the fact the fault was because of me.which i beg to differ.Pehaps they should of gave that 130 quid to better staff or add it to the training pot!

sepetmber:opened 3rd current bank account (Business bank current account) No problems except did not have a overdraft set up on this account and went over by 3p in the account while was waiting for funds to come into it. Tried to charge me 90 quid for 3p....:mad:...account closed since then had the charges reversed btw

Still i do not trust any bank myself. Worse then politicians the banking system. All in bed together i beleive also may i add are in some way or form.

Im sure SANTANDER is the spanish word for "Trouble"...
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far :j" p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
  • slush
    slush Posts: 108 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2011 at 8:24AM
    They offered me £100 compensation yesterday. Probably because my complaint via the FSA had just reached Santander.

I told Santander to poke it! Compared to the grief they have caused us, that is a total insult.

They also told me that everything is now corrected online. That was at lunchtime yesterday. And they are writing to comfirm that.

Just checked online... and NOTHING is fixed. Not surprised though. So I've taken some more screen shots to add to the complaint file.

And I've still got access to someone elses accounts as well as my own.... after 7 weeks of complaints on that issue alone.

So if anyone reading this thread and thinking about banking with Santander... would you be happy sharing your accounts with me?

Or worse still... sharing them with someone else that wouldn't have complained ... but would have taken the opportunity to clear out all your hard earned?

AVOID Santander at all costs... don't sell yourself out for the 5%. The loss could far out perform the gain. Don't just take my word for it; these forums are full of similar horror stories.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dear td and all

How could we get 3-5 accounts. Did you open it online or telephone banking ?.

Could we open simultaneously 3-5 accounts or we need to wait ...

td_007 wrote: »
    I have 3-5 current a/cs at any given time. But I use them simply to get the 5% rate - none of my bills or anything else gets paid out them. 1K gets circulated every month and thats it. Admittedly, I had to spend some time following up with them because they screwed up interest payments (and that is the only thing they have do for a/c!!). But overall if you do not use the a/c as a bank a/c :eek:you will be more or less ok.
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    adindas wrote: »
    Dear td and all

How could we get 3-5 accounts. Did you open it online or telephone banking ?.

Could we open simultaneously 3-5 accounts or we need to wait ...

I have opened them all online either via quidco or TCB to take advantage of cashback as well -have made quite a bit this way:T. I space it out by few months and as soon any account reaches its anniversary (and the 5% rate drops), I close it.
  • adindas
    Thank you to let me know about this.
    It is good to cash cash back, and top interest rate. I also always close my a/c after the anniversary, wait for 3 months and open it again.

ADINDAS
    td_007 wrote: »
    I have opened them all online either via quidco or TCB to take advantage of cashback as well -have made quite a bit this way:T. I space it out by few months and as soon any account reaches its anniversary (and the 5% rate drops), I close it.
  • adindas
    The anniversary of my PICR is already very soon. But I rencetly upgrade my PICR to Santander Zero Current account to entend their live for 5% Interest Rate.

So I currently get two Santander Zero A/Cs whihc earn 5% fro the first £2500.00. In a few month I will try to open another PICR and try to use their swtiching service to harvest £100.00 switching Incentive ... Let see how it is going ...
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    For those with more than one preferred account - Does the £1k pm have to come from an external source or can it be moved between other Santander accounts ?
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    exel1966 wrote: »
    For those with more than one preferred account - Does the £1k pm have to come from an external source or can it be moved between other Santander accounts ?

It needs from an external a/c. Also, the £1K needs to hit the a/c monthly based on the a/c opening date e.g. if your a/c was opened on the the 15th June then the next month's £1K needs to hit between 15July-14Aug. If you get it in for eg on 12th of July then it does not count. The only current a/c that I know which has this stupid rule:mad:
  • Hi just a word of caution regarding opening a Preferred Current account. We opened ours specifically for the 5% interest and £100 freebie! We transferred most of our direct debits over and pay in well over the required £1,500 per month, so no problem getting interest etc. so we thought.

First month Santander gave us minimal interest as we had only deposited a small amount into our new account to cover the few direct debits that had been transferred from our old account. No worries so far.
    However, when the second month's interest was due (27th of month) it didn't show in our account and we had paid in well over minimal amount. I immediately phoned Santander and after an hour (at my cost) was told that unfortunately I would not be getting any interest as the deposit had been paid in a day late!!

I was amazed as I had specifically phoned in and asked the very question two/three weeks earlier. My husband's money always goes into the bank account on 25th of each month. The previous month had gone in on 24th as the 25th fell at the weekend. Now we realised that we wouldn't be getting the £100 bonus for swapping over either!!

Santander are now trying to say that we opened our account on 25th of the month so according to their ruling (not very obvious when opening account!) their monthly span would mean we would have to pay in the money up to the 24th of the month.

However, I opened the account on-line at 8pm on 25th May and at that date didn't know whether I would even be given an account. It wasn't until next day 26th May that I had an email from them confirming that an account had been opened,. although I had no account number or any sort code details etc, so basically unable to use it for anything!

To conclude, my gripe is I see my account as being opened on 26th of the month (even though I still didn't have an account number!) so my month time limit should be based on payments being received between 26th - 25th of the month the date of husband's wages.

I have obviously put in a formal complaint to Santander but as seems the norm, despite emailing for updates etc have heard diddly squat from them (2 weeks).
    Incidently I have moved large sum from my current account back to old bank account and will definitely be closing this new account and taking all my savings away if they insist on renegading on their promise!

Thank you for listening and goodnight!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport