£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Your meal plan is totally different to ours so I can't help.

While I think grocery budgets are the target that most can cut/keep low. I think the budget varies for everyone. I will only drink decent coffee. I don't care it's probably the most expensive thing I buy. I'd rather none than cheap coffee :o

We bake 99% of our treats. I don't buy biscuits/cakes etc from the supermarket. We do eat meat everyday :o

We was 3 adults, 8yr old, 6yr old, and 3 yr old (who has allergies and is in nappies) and I very rarely went above £40 a week. This did mean I have to bake treats, I have to make sure I remember to life out the freezer whats needed, we use all leftovers and even freeze the 'extra portion'

My point is while £40 might be what I can feed my family on happily, doesn't mean you should be able too. Within reason I do believe no ones will be the correct amount. Hope this makes sense
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Im my house its the kids as DH and I stick to our 3 meals with the odd snack! Mine have packed lunches when at school so loads of yoghurts, fruit etc xx
    Mummytogirls x

• mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My DH also takes leftovers for his lunches (thanks HI youve just reminded me) so that saves a bit xx
    Mummytogirls x

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Think through the things you buy and pick out the pricier ones for a start - then look at what alternatives you might be able to swap for. As an example - no idea how expensive black beans are but could you switch for kidney beans/borlotti beans/pinto beans/chick peas? Look for an ethnic supermarket and buy beans and pulses in whacking great bags - cook in batches and then freeze in portions that match with the things you use them for - so chick peas for example I always freeze in "tin" sized batches. if your recipe uses x grams of a particular item you could freeze in that quantity. Dried and cooked yourself are mostly cheaper than tinned overall.

Eggs - the "cooks boxes" of 15 mixed weight are every bit as good as a standard box of free range and usually you get 15 for less money than a dozen "standard" ones - I use them in baking and never have any issues.

Investigate Jack Monroe's "9p burgers" in place of your usual veggie burgers - they're fab and you can pimp them up dead easily too - I switch the carrot for parsnip as MrEH loathes carrot!

Try switching tinned mackerel for sardines - sometimes comes up cheaper.

For "treat" fruit - why not start up a policy that treat fruit can be had but HAS to come from the Aldi Super 6 or similar options? I quite often plan a meal around what is available on those offers" :rotfl: similarly double check prices of things like apples and citrus against Sainsburys or elsewhere as I often find it's cheaper to buy a mainstream supermarket's value type range rather than Aldi or Lidl.

Go through your buys and think of anything you buy branded versions of and look to switch down. Similarly anything you buy ready made that could be cheaper if you made from scratch? Branded wise the only things we won't compromise on are Coffee (MrEH has Nescafe) Cruunchy Nut cornflakes as he has tried others but not found any as good as the Kellogs ones, washing up liquid is always fairy as for me it does seem to do a better job in our hard water, and washing liquid. other than that I'd buy brands if they're cheaper but otherwise own brand is fine.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I personally find Sainsbury's very expensive , is that your only place to buy the rest of your shopping? Do you stick to your meal plans? Have you looked through your receipts as I was shocked to see how much was spent on ' junk food' when I looked at ours.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    My DH also takes leftovers for his lunches (thanks HI youve just reminded me) so that saves a bit xx
    Mine too, although he buys the odd bag of crisps or chocolate bar, but only once or twice a week. And that comes out of the fuel budget, as he does it when he fills the car, and I can't be bothered to separate out the odd £1!
    Im my house its the kids as DH and I stick to our 3 meals with the odd snack! Mine have packed lunches when at school so loads of yoghurts, fruit etc xx
    I'm at least as bad as the DC for snacking :o , but they do go through everything that's in the house when there's three of them.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I buy all my things that are not perishable when they are on offer, from toiletries and cleaning products to store-cupboard items. I do what EH says and buy dried pulses, lentils, beans and peas - cook them in the pressure cooker and freeze them in portions.

I do grow loads of soft fruit and veg and pick and freeze as much as I can, and I know which branded stuff I won't swap down and which I will. Over four years I reduced our grocery spend to one third of what I started with.

I buy frozen fruit which I mix with greek yogurt, nuts, seeds and oats for my breakfast (the most expensive meal I have). Loads of top tips in the first few posts of the grocery challenge over on the old style boards
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Hayles70
    Hayles70 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    I personally find Sainsbury's very expensive , is that your only place to buy the rest of your shopping? Do you stick to your meal plans? Have you looked through your receipts as I was shocked to see how much was spent on ' junk food' when I looked at ours.

I agree, I personally find Sainsbury's the most expensive for food, especially fruit and veg. I find a mixture of Aldi and Morrisons the cheapest but I'm aware that there isn't a Morrisons in every area.

I also spend a fortune on strawberries, I just can't help myself, however I do only buy them in season when they are cheaper.

Keep up the good work, I've been following your diary for the last few weeks but have never commented so thought I'd say hello! :)
    LBM 05/03/2019(Last updated 05/03/2019) Total Debt = £23,802:mad:/£23,802
    BC £8635/£8635
    TCC: £6547/£6547
    NWCC: £7,170/£7170
    Next: £0
    OD1:[STRIKE]£1000/£1000 OD2: £450/£450
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Think through the things you buy and pick out the pricier ones for a start - then look at what alternatives you might be able to swap for. As an example - no idea how expensive black beans are but could you switch for kidney beans/borlotti beans/pinto beans/chick peas? Look for an ethnic supermarket and buy beans and pulses in whacking great bags - cook in batches and then freeze in portions that match with the things you use them for - so chick peas for example I always freeze in "tin" sized batches. if your recipe uses x grams of a particular item you could freeze in that quantity. Dried and cooked yourself are mostly cheaper than tinned overall.

Eggs - the "cooks boxes" of 15 mixed weight are every bit as good as a standard box of free range and usually you get 15 for less money than a dozen "standard" ones - I use them in baking and never have any issues.

Investigate Jack Monroe's "9p burgers" in place of your usual veggie burgers - they're fab and you can pimp them up dead easily too - I switch the carrot for parsnip as MrEH loathes carrot!

Try switching tinned mackerel for sardines - sometimes comes up cheaper.

For "treat" fruit - why not start up a policy that treat fruit can be had but HAS to come from the Aldi Super 6 or similar options? I quite often plan a meal around what is available on those offers" :rotfl: similarly double check prices of things like apples and citrus against Sainsburys or elsewhere as I often find it's cheaper to buy a mainstream supermarket's value type range rather than Aldi or Lidl.

Go through your buys and think of anything you buy branded versions of and look to switch down. Similarly anything you buy ready made that could be cheaper if you made from scratch? Branded wise the only things we won't compromise on are Coffee (MrEH has Nescafe) Cruunchy Nut cornflakes as he has tried others but not found any as good as the Kellogs ones, washing up liquid is always fairy as for me it does seem to do a better job in our hard water, and washing liquid. other than that I'd buy brands if they're cheaper but otherwise own brand is fine.
    Good idea to stick to treats from the Aldi/Lidl offers! But everything else I feel like I pretty much do. The veggie burgers are for nights when we are v busy, and going homemade kind of makes that pointless. It's only really every fortnight or less that we'll have something ready made like that.

We hardly buy branded anything - mayo, coffee (which we go through very slowly, as only DH drinks it, and only once every couple of days) and washing up liquid, that's literally it.

Also I suspect that homemade semi-healthy stuff (ie flapjacks made with seeds and things, sourdough bread, biscuits made with real butter) is actually more expensive than buying ready made cheap biscuits and crisps, but I really don't feel able to compromise on this, and I can't work out a cheaper solution.

Honestly, I feel like it's quantities that are the issue - going through the receipts there's no really obvious culprits.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I understand that there is an option to just accept this spend and rejig the budget (somehow! not sure how), but it's such a huge spend, and I really feel like I'm missing a trick on it, which is why I keep revisiting the subject.

Maybe I'll start listing my menu plan and a screen shot of my MySupermarket basket and you can all critique it! No point over the summer as camping throws everything out of whack, but I might actually do this in September.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback