ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    We have cancelled a direct debit today that is no longer needed - membership for a club DD used to enjoy going to, but no longer does. That's £18 a month saved and I have promised her we will do a fun activity that day instead. Starting tomorrow with a disco at home in fancy dress after school :j

It's coming up to the two year anniversary of my diary and journey - I sense a lot of waxing lyrical will be taking place soon!
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    NSD achieved yesterday, and today will be too as I don't plan to go anywhere other than school and back! Have promised the kids a mini disco when they get home later so got the disco ball charging in readiness ;)

We are hoping to invoice a big job that DH has on at the moment this week, if we do I have promised myself a massage and reiki session. I have heard wonderful things about reiki, and I know that I neglect myself so much in favour of making sure the family are cared for first and foremost. I could really do with some "me" time, and reiki sounds wonderful.

Has anyone had any experience of it? x
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    :) Tilly tidied some pennies across to the mortgage to make it a nice round number
    :) NSD achieved
    :) made some lovely soup using leftover bendy veg from the fridge, and two blocks of stilton that had been stashed in the freezer. Soup and sandwich for my lunch tomorrow
    :) DD brought a new reading book home from school - she is doing fantastically well :T

All in all, a good day. I have added my new motto to my signature too :j
  • TwentySomethingGirl
    Options
    Hi

I was just stopping by to say that I love that you have a disco ball and a fancy dress disco at home!

Good luck with the mortgage, I'll be lurking :)
    TSG
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000 - £140500 JUL19 Moved house Oct19 £230000 £230400 DEC20
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Hi TSG, thanks for posting & don't be a stranger :)

Disco was a hit :T I've promised them a party food buffet for tea tomorrow :rotfl:

Blowing a gale here. I hope you're all safe and warm xx
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Hi ATB, you're doing fantastically well with your OPs. A disco and party food sound like ideal treats, and so much better than having to spend money to 'treat' the kids.
    I've never had reiki but love the sound of the massage, you really do work hard keeping on top of spending and managing your family, definitely need to remember to have a little time for you every now and then. I've resolved to have a toddler-free and phone-free bath every week. Hardly the lap of luxury but as a mummy I'm sure you understand how nice that will be!

When I started reading your diary we had roughly the same amount to pay off but you're nearly £10000 ahead now! There's no way our incomes would allow us to keep up with you but it's so motivating to see how you go. Thanks for sharing
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi ATB, hope your cold is getting better, they really are rotten. I've no personal experience of reiki but only ever heard positive things about it.

Your after school activities with the children sound fun. I find this time of year harder to bring quality to the evenings. It's so much easier in the summer when you can join them to play in the garden after school. I played trivial pursuit with DD after school yesterday which we both really enjoyed, her moreso as she won!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning All :)

Just back from the school and pre-school run. Boy is it chilly out there! Had a chat at pre-school - DS is 3 in March so gets his 15 free hours then, hurrah! That will be some more money in the budget. Plus when he turns three the terrible twos disappear overnight, right?!

I feel much better today. I need to do some housework, including a deep clean of the fridge, vacuuming and of course never ending Mount Washmore! So no money making but certainly nothing being spent either ;)

Katzen - a bath without small people watching you is utter bliss - you must make sure you do it. Treat yourself to some yummy bath oil and make DH bring you a glass of wine too (with an ice cube in, to make sure it doesn't get warm quickly in the bathroom ;))

Trivial Pursuit sounds fab CathT. DD (4) loves playing snap, so we do that a lot, DS (2) has the attention span of a newt so we are a way off from board games yet.

I have an old episode of Friends on as I type, I love them, it's like a comfort blanket!

Have lovely days all xx
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The first time we time we played, ds who is 5 answered his questions whilst playing something else, he still won!

Ah I love friends, it's my go to if I'm feeling a bit low as guaranteed to make me chuckle.

Hope you have a restful day.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Loads of chores done, and the house looks rather good now if I do say so myself!

I found a £2 coin in my waterproof pocket, and I am going to treat myself to two bunches of daffodils when I walk down to school later. I have just got rid of my poinsettia, and need some colour and fragrance around the place.

I have also tidied some pennies to the mortgage, and watched an episode of Without a Trace :o xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure