Cataract treatment - can it really be true?

Comments

• stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Whilst I obviously feel sorry for the friend waiting between the 2 operations, I think that the ideology of preserving NHS Wales jobs in certain areas for Welsh-speaking staff is very important politically.

As a migrant myself into Wales, and a dysgwraig at present, I understand that the Government pledge to see one million Welsh-speakers by 2050 can only be achieved if all areas of politically shaped life support it. Such as a massive employer like the NHS ring-fencing jobs for Welsh-speakers.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Except jobs are not ringfenced for Welsh speakers. It is difficult enough to recruit young practitioners to Wales and always has been.

Many places in North Wales are not well served by public transport etc, and are isolated .

Dentists have to be registered in the Welsh system so it involves alot of bureaucracy to get a job.

There is only one medical/dental school and thats in Cardiff. Young graduates famously tend to work close to where they graduate.

The pay,conditions are worse than in England.

If there was a blanket requirement to speak Welsh then you would hardly recruit any medical staff.Indeed in many areas there are many more languages it would be useful to speak.

Welsh language aspirations have nothing to do with the health crisis in Wales. It is money pure and simple.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    No, I know there isn't a ring-fencing policy :) my husband is a non Welsh-speaking Dentist working for NHS Wales!

I just mean one role having Welsh as an essential criteria, if that is the case here, would be understandable, politically, from my POV.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 9:06AM
    Fingers crossed all round that it's only logical reasons that are causing these shortages of staff then - and not a "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs (ie breaking people)" reasons.

EDIT; Had to look it up - but translation of dysgwraig = learner.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fingers crossed all round that it's only logical reasons that are causing these shortages of staff then - and not a "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs (ie breaking people)" reasons.

EDIT; Had to look it up - but translation of dysgwraig = learner.

I thought you were learning Welsh, money.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My MIL had cataract surgery on the NHS about 6 months ago. It was made clear to her, even before the surgery, that they will only do one eye. Ever.

It's to do with money, or the lack of it, in the NHS, and it's the usual postcode lottery. I am not in Wales so it's nothing to do with language/finding staff either. Or age. I know others in their early 60's (so not exactly 'old') who had the same experience. Apparently they think one eye is all you need.

Very little surprises me with the NHS but I have to admit, this one did.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 12:12PM
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I thought you were learning Welsh, money.

I was originally - until I started having people telling me about jobs refused/training refused/jobs they were kicked out of because of the language and I do not approve of that. I also sympathise with how little money there is for things sometimes - so I hate seeing any of it spent to allow for personal preferences and want it to go on things we all need.

I also started counting how many versions of Welsh there are - I thought there was "two in the process of becoming one". When I got to about 16 different versions and finding I seemed to be expected to learn 3 of them (North Welsh, South Welsh, local version) there was also an element of "Blow this for a lark - I was only prepared to learn one language - not three".

I only know a few words of my own dialect - from back along maid, and I speak standard English/what I gather is probably "received pronunciation". Makes life much easier for everyone to understand me.:).
  • ripplyuk wrote: »
    My MIL had cataract surgery on the NHS about 6 months ago. It was made clear to her, even before the surgery, that they will only do one eye. Ever.

It's to do with money, or the lack of it, in the NHS, and it's the usual postcode lottery. I am not in Wales so it's nothing to do with language/finding staff either. Or age. I know others in their early 60's (so not exactly 'old') who had the same experience. Apparently they think one eye is all you need.

Very little surprises me with the NHS but I have to admit, this one did.

My parents had to have both eyes done and there was a (think it was short-lived??) attempt to lie to my mother and tell her she "didnt need the second eye done after all". At which point my quiet little mother got informed by me in no uncertain terms that they were lying to her and she had the proof they'd told her the second one needed doing too. Followed by telling her that she had two choices: either fight them or pay. Lying down and accepting it was not an option on the table. She fought:D. She won:D
  • I was originally

Those are some of the maddest excuses I've ever heard for not bothering to learn the language of the country you've settled in.

You just didn't want to, did you? Be honest! :cool:
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My parents had to have both eyes done and there was a (think it was short-lived??) attempt to lie to my mother and tell her she "didnt need the second eye done after all". At which point my quiet little mother got informed by me in no uncertain terms that they were lying to her and she had the proof they'd told her the second one needed doing too. Followed by telling her that she had two choices: either fight them or pay. Lying down and accepting it was not an option on the table. She fought:D. She won:D

It's not that they told her only one eye needed done. They were honest with her that both needed done but that the policy was that one was enough for 'day-to-day functioning'. They even let her choose which eye!

Sadly, she hasn't adjusted well to it and says she finds it disorienting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure