When will £1GBP be worth 1.20 Euros?

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Gambler101 wrote: »
    All this talk of not getting trade deals. As a net importer surely we will benefit the worse the deal gets?

Funny how prior to 2016 no-one was bothered about trade deals. I certainly can't remember any conversation in the pub along the lines of "you know what, I wish we had better trade deals with China".

If Germany can export so much to non EU countries it would suggest that the problem with us not doing so is a UK issue not due to EU.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jimjames wrote: »

If Germany can export so much to non EU countries it would suggest that the problem with us not doing so is a UK issue not due to EU.

Germany is certainly a formidable exporter - they're accumulating a surplus of several billion euro a week, while UK is stuck in deficit. Germany manages to sell for more than UK into what should be "our markets", eg they export far more to Oz than UK does.

It's not only Germany though, Belguim exports more to India does - despite having virtually no historical or cultural ties.

UK should have sorted out it's chronic trade deficit BEFORE jeopardising around half it's exports:(
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    atush wrote: »
    They sell more to us, then we do to them.

So they will need to make some sort of deal, sooner rather than later.

This sounds a lot like 'they can't afford not to give us what we want...'

I'm not sure whether good luck with that or God help us is the appropriate response.

When you kick someone in the nuts and then hold out your hand, don't be surprised when they refuse to shake it.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    At the risk of stating the obvious the other 27 countries of the EU are not going to give us a better deal out than we had when we were in, or everyone else would leave.
    So Boris will come back from Brussels with a dogs dinner and, aided by the Tory press, present it as a good deal for Britain.
    The notion we have to leave because thats what people voted for has a big flaw. The reality is nobody will get what they voted for because those who voted to leave were promised, and voted for, things they can't have. :(
    So the best thing to do would be to accept that, and remain in the EU until we can have a properly informed vote.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Glen_Clark
    atush wrote: »
    They sell more to us, then we do to them.
    Yes but do we need what they sell more than they need what we sell?
    We no longer have the industries to produce much of the things we need.
    Politics invariably triumphs over economics anyway - EU officials will do whats best for them to keep the EU gravy train running and their cushy jobs.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You can be certain of one thing, all the problems the idiocy delivers will the fault of the EU.. again.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Glen_Clark
    Germany is certainly a formidable exporter - they're accumulating a surplus of several billion euro a week, while UK is stuck in deficit. Germany manages to sell for more than UK into what should be "our markets", eg they export far more to Oz than UK does.

It's not only Germany though, Belguim exports more to India does - despite having virtually no historical or cultural ties.

UK should have sorted out it's chronic trade deficit BEFORE jeopardising around half it's exports:(

Germany's state pension is 3 times that of Britain too - and we are borrowing to pay that...
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bery_451 wrote: »
    When something hits all time low surely it cant get lower unless the £ is hopeless.

I am still waiting for the Zimbabwe dollar to go back to being worth the same as the US dollar. When that happens I will be very rich!
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am still waiting for the Zimbabwe dollar to go back to being worth the same as the US dollar. When that happens I will be very rich!
    I remember reading a book about the German hyperinflation in the 1920s - there were actually people who hoarded billion mark banknotes thinking that when things "returned to normal" they'd somehow be rich beyond their wildest dreams.

It's not really any different to the notion that because the pound has lost value that it will somehow, by some irresistible force of nature, have to regain that value in future.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JohnRo wrote: »
    You can be certain of one thing, all the problems the idiocy delivers will the fault of the EU.. again.
    I think you'll find that they will be Remainers' fault as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure