PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,887
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 April 2017 at 3:37PM
    Towser wrote: »
    There are 32 chazzer shops on my usual weekly route.

WOW!! Lucky you. I have sixteen on mine and I thought that was pretty good :o

I was soooo pleased with myself yesterday....called into the 99p shop in Otley and picked up a quite nice floaty smocky top and a white T shirt with a grey abstract splodge on the front.....walked about the shop with them for a bit thinking 'shall I, shan't I.....only 99p each - like you do'. Decided I really didn't need either top really so I put them both back. Today I called into the big Sue Ryder shop and came across a lovely Gok Wan '1940's funnel neck wriggle dress' (his description). It was black and had a 'body sculpting' lining, loads of detailed seaming at the waist and a statement gold zip at the back. Looked unworn and was priced at £7. I did not need it as I have several 'little black dresses' already but I just cannot resist a little black dress and it fitted perfectly and felt great on so I succumbed :o

Here's a little(!) linky to one on FleaBay if anyone wants to see it.... (have to scrolly down a bit)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1940-039-s-STYLE-BLACK-FUNNEL-NECK-DRESS-DESIGNED-BY-GOK-WAN-FOR-TU-BNWT-SIZE-10-/162377067295?hash=item25ce6d6b1f%3Ag%3ADswAAOSw241YgkPx&nma=true&si=BOCZB4Jz7bA%252BoLdW36s1l4KCln0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Was originally priced at £45.

Also, the community chazza had a box of sewing odds and ends with everything priced at 10p and in there was a sewing machine foot that looked as if it might fit my old Elna sewing machine. Ages ago I stupidly threw away the original proper foot as I scooped it up with scraps of fabric and thread and dumped the lot in the bin....didn't realise till too late.....so I have been making do with an embroidery foot for the last 20 years. Yay...it fits!!! I am sooo pleased :j
  • foxyloxy11
    foxyloxy11 Posts: 344
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    TOWSER I don't think that's too obsessive. If I had that many near me and the time I would be in them too! there's only about 6 near me and I don't get chance to go much unless school's out, but I do love them.
    MIRO I laughed at your comment :) why do we quibble over 99p! probably as we're so mse!!!

it's great to hear when other people get bargains...this is one of my favourite threads. Keep hunting!
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    There are 32 chazzer shops on my usual weekly route. This is in five different high streets. Sometimes less if I have to do something one day. If I could I would do them all weekly sometimes it is stretched to two weekly depending on how much is going on during normal life. Is this too much or Obsessive, what do you think? I don't buy at each one. I am very choosy but have kitted out the family and house.

If I could I'd like to be a charity shop manager, what do you think too?

Todays find Jamie Oliver cookbook Meals in 15 minutes £6.99 Oxfam.
    Next boys shorts £1.50 Help the Aged
    Johnnie B long sleeved top £3 Help the Aged[/
    Only 11 in my nearest town can do the run in about 2 hours if im on my own,, faster if im on my way to work!! Its not the same since they shut Age Concern a couple of months ago where everything was a quid, I could easily spend an hour in that shop alone :(:( :( Got a lovely pair of M&S cream leather loafers yesterday for £2.50 and another Regatta jacket for £2 think ive got one in every colour now:o
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    WOW!! Lucky you. I have sixteen on mine and I thought that was pretty good
    there's only about 6 near me and I don't get chance to go much unless school's out, but I do love them.
    Only 11 in my nearest town can do the run in about 2 hours if im on my own,,

I'm lucky because there are five high streets in different directions. I have to go in a different direction every day.
  • Fonque
    Fonque Posts: 50
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm trying to kit out a flat and I popped into St Lukes CS on the way home on the off chance they might have some bits and bobs.

I found a set of 3 storage canisters in a grey lightly spackled in black and white with see through sides and steel lids by Salter(so a good make), at the bargain price of £4.50.
    A friend also found in another CS a lightweight ironing board for me for the princely sum £3 (it needs a new cover but still a good purchase I feel)
    Do not make any sudden moves.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 April 2017 at 12:25AM
    Fonque wrote: »
    I'm trying to kit out a flat and I popped into St Lukes CS on the way home on the off chance they might have some bits and bobs.

I found a set of 3 storage canisters in a grey lightly spackled in black and white with see through sides and steel lids by Salter(so a good make), at the bargain price of £4.50.
    A friend also found in another CS a lightweight ironing board for me for the princely sum £3 (it needs a new cover but still a good purchase I feel)

With the exception of two sofas & a couple of lamps, almost everything we have in our (in the process of being restored) Victorian tenement flat is second-hand & either given to us by relatives or bought from CS clothes & furniture shops. I bought a beautiful bureau a few weeks ago for £30 as it had a few minor decorative restoration jobs to do and, even second-hand, these sell for over £100 usually.

The benefit of buying second hand is also quality. They don't make furniture the same now unless you want to pay a LOT and even things like Pyrex seem to be getting thinner. The old stuff I plan on keeping for a very long time & not have to replace it.

Because of that I'm still reeling from paying £80 for a new, sturdy, cat-proof kitchen bin today lol. I've never spent that on a bin in my life lol but if it saves me having to clear up bin raidings every morning & stops my cat making himself sick, it's worth it!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,585
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I have 18 charity shops on my weekly route - that's in 2 villages and a town.

Yesterday I bought a(nother :o) TU jersey dress.
    Teals, golds and cream, I have a pair of opaque tights and cardigan just the right colour to go with it.

BNWT New Look short cardigan in a coral shade, I have a whole range of different colours to go with maxi dresses, dresses and tunics.

£1.00 each from Air Ambulance.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Todays find Jamie Oliver cookbook Meals in 15 minutes £6.99 Oxfam.
    Not what I would consider to be a book bargain, even if I hadn't seen it for 99p before!

I've spent just under £25 on 31 books this month!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,585
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I've been on the lookout for a copy of Hairy Bikers' Great Curries for at least a year, it was recommended to me by another poster on MSE.

It's £17.00 on Amazon. :(

I look in every charity shop every time I go in but no luck so far, I'd happily pay £6.99 for a good copy. :)
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Because of that I'm still reeling from paying £80 for a new, sturdy, cat-proof kitchen bin today lol. I've never spent that on a bin in my life lol but if it saves me having to clear up bin raidings every morning & stops my cat making himself sick, it's worth it![/QUOTE

Thats the good thing about chazzas , with the money you save you dont feel quite as bad about having to buy from normal expensive shops occasionally!. Im attending a wedding night do on Thursday and just added up that my whole outfit including shoes and bag comes in at just under a tenner, makes up for the fact that Ive just found out its over £8 for a small glass of wine at the venue!!:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure