Mortimer Clarke

Hi

I have been issued with a CCJ from Northampton county court. After weeks of dealing with Mortimer Clarke who I've told time and time again I'm in financial difficulty yet refuse to accept my offer of weekly payment.

I now have this CCJ which needs to be dealt with, but I've not got the funds to clear the debt in 1 lump sum. What can I do if anything. I have sent another offer of payment to Mortimer Clarke who are named as the company I need to make payment too.

I'm starting to get really worried that i'm going to have Bailiffs knocking on my door. Even after trying to resolve this issue with a company that seem to have no interest in listening to offers.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Don't panic, just fill in the court paperwork and make the same offer via the court, they won't expect you to pay more than what's affordable.

You will get the CCJ though, but I think that was inevitable anyway.

Legal beagles is the place to ask :

http://legalbeagles.info
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Mart - are you saying you have got the judgement, or the court claim? Sourcrates has assumed the latter but it sounds to me like you may have a bit of paper saying 'judgement in default' and requiring 'payment forthwith'.

Can you clarify?

Other useful info would be - roughly how much is it for, and what sort of debt is it (loan, credit card etc)?
  • Mart34
    Mart34 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi
    I received a letter from Mortimer Clarke stating they had successfully claimed a CCJ, and a letter from the court stating payment must be made within 30 days. The court paperwork does have 'forthwith' written on it.

I have been struggling to get on top of everything and have seemed to come up against a brick wall when trying to deal with this.

The debt is for an old Catalogue with JD Williams. Which I was paying back but fell into deeper financial difficulties.
  • Mart34
    The debt is for £503
  • sourcrates
    Mart34 wrote: »
    Hi
    I received a letter from Mortimer Clarke stating they had successfully claimed a CCJ, and a letter from the court stating payment must be made within 30 days. The court paperwork does have 'forthwith' written on it.

I have been struggling to get on top of everything and have seemed to come up against a brick wall when trying to deal with this.

The debt is for an old Catalogue with JD Williams. Which I was paying back but fell into deeper financial difficulties.

Ah, ok, in that case you need to apply to the court to change the judgement to an installment order.

There are a number of ways to do this, there's some info here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/varyingpaymentsonaccj/instalmentsonaccj.aspx

But I would call National Debtline to see with method would apply to my situation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Mart34
    Thanks for the link I will check it out shortly. 1 thing that has confused me is the letter I received from Mortimer Clarke has a income and expenditure form accompanying it

I have tried and tried to make an arrangement with them but always seem to come up against a brick wall
  • sourcrates
    Thanks for the link I will check it out shortly. 1 thing that has confused me is the letter I received from Mortimer Clarke has a income and expenditure form accompanying it

I have tried and tried to make an arrangement with them but always seem to come up against a brick wall

That's most people's experience with companies of this nature unfortunately.
  • Mart34
    Now i'm even more confused!!, Got home from work today to find another letter from Mortimer Clarke, which says (word for word)

'As we received no response to the claim via the documentation provided by the court, we have entered Judgement forthwith. Alternatively, please complete and return the enclosed income and expenditure form so that our client can assess your financial situation'.

So am I now right in thinking they are happy to make an arrangement on a weekly basis, which has been offered all along, before it even went to court?
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Now i'm even more confused!!, Got home from work today to find another letter from Mortimer Clarke, which says (word for word)

'As we received no response to the claim via the documentation provided by the court, we have entered Judgement forthwith. Alternatively, please complete and return the enclosed income and expenditure form so that our client can assess your financial situation'.

So am I now right in thinking they are happy to make an arrangement on a weekly basis, which has been offered all along, before it even went to court?

What were you offering before they escalated this to court?

Maybe they thought that you were not offering what you could pay and decided a CCJ would be better? Usually these guys don't go through this hassle if you've made an offer of payment as the courts generally wont make you pay more than you can afford so something is amiss with this guys this time.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Mart34
    Whilst I struggling financially I was offering £2.50 per week, which is not a massive amount I know but at the time It was comfortable and kept them quiet.

I emailed them yesterday, baring in mind I have had a slight improvement in my financial status. And Offered £5 per week, with a view to increase further in 3 months, when I expect my financial status to have improved.

Having received this letter today should I respond to it by post or should I await a response from the email I sent them last night?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure