Acorn stairlift hard sell warranty

Options
metrobus
metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 30 July 2015 at 10:54AM in Disability money matters
3 weeks ago I had a acorn stairlift installed for my 86 year old mother.

I had read a few reviews of stairlifts and online guides and contacted [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] to send a Acorn stairlift salesman around.

The salesman came and I paid the deposit then the balance on fitting.

Since then my mother has been bombarded by Acorn over the phone and by letter to take out extended warranties.

She is not in the best of health and gets nervous and confused on the phone,the salespeople are putting scare stories in to her head saying the stairlift could easily break down,this is just weeks after we paid £3500 for it.The warranty is around £800.

I wish now we had gone to a company that was not going to bombared us with cold call hard sell warranty salesmen.

I would advise to leave Acorn stairlifts well alone unless you want similar treatment.

Comments

• TAFFY-DUCK
    Options
    My wifes aunt who was 89 at the time, was ejected from her stairlift at the top of her stairs. Ejected over the armrest and down some 12 stairs. The fitter said not my fault and the company who made the lift said not faulty? The seat also came tetached and followed her down the stairs.....lucky not dead. It has taken her one year to recover.
    The fitter not from the company who made said lift, but contracted to supply and fit, said he would buy back the unit as...not fit for purpose. No contact from maker, but did contract a company to test this unit....it was removed and tested....report found no fault...I looked at the report and it was...IF..BUT..WHAT..YOU COULD DRIVE A BUS THROUGH IT.
    The makers paid 15.000 to the inspectors, are they going to hang out to dry the PAYMASTER........NO.
    DO YOU KNOW OF A STAIR LIFT THAT HAS GONE ROGUE...
    email me. :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 30 July 2015 at 10:54AM
    Options
    metrobus wrote: »
    3 weeks ago I had a acorn stairlift installed for my 86 year old mother.

I had read a few reviews of stairlifts and online guides and contacted [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] to send a Acorn stairlift salesman around.

The salesman came and I paid the deposit then the balance on fitting.

Since then my mother has been bombarded by Acorn over the phone and by letter to take out extended warranties.

She is not in the best of health and gets nervous and confused on the phone,the salespeople are putting scare stories in to her head saying the stairlift could easily break down,this is just weeks after we paid £3500 for it.The warranty is around £800.

I wish now we had gone to a company that was not going to bombared us with cold call hard sell warranty salesmen.

I would advise to leave Acorn stairlifts well alone unless you want similar treatment.

just write to them and make it crystal clear if they dont stop harrassing her you will inform the police
  • stiltz
    Options
    TAFFY-DUCK wrote: »
    My wifes aunt who was 89 at the time, was ejected from her stairlift at the top of her stairs. Ejected over the armrest and down some 12 stairs. The fitter said not my fault and the company who made the lift said not faulty? The seat also came tetached and followed her down the stairs.....lucky not dead. It has taken her one year to recover.
    The fitter not from the company who made said lift, but contracted to supply and fit, said he would buy back the unit as...not fit for purpose. No contact from maker, but did contract a company to test this unit....it was removed and tested....report found no fault...I looked at the report and it was...IF..BUT..WHAT..YOU COULD DRIVE A BUS THROUGH IT.
    The makers paid 15.000 to the inspectors, are they going to hang out to dry the PAYMASTER........NO.
    DO YOU KNOW OF A STAIR LIFT THAT HAS GONE ROGUE...
    email me. :(

Hi Taffy Duck...I've just read your post and that is UNBELIEVABLE! Ejected???? 12 steps?? That is so dangerous! I work for a home lift company called Stiltz Lifts and we don't do stairlifts but listen if you need any help or have any questions then let me know. Hope the Aunt is ok. Regards.
  • tigerhouse
    Options
    back about easter time this year my wife at 51 years young had to retire due to various ill health problems, we had to get a stairlift asap due to her unable to climb stairs, now we live in a 1st floor maisonette we rang them up & a rep came round within 24 hours, on opening the front door he said to me that the stairs looked very narrow & they would have to import one from holland at a cost of £7,000 -told him straight off that if we are talking that kind of money then he can back in his car, he said he would take some measurements etc, we then had the whole " double glazing " routine from him, gave us a dvd to watch- fronted by that dr hilary of t.v fame, all very glossy etc, we had to opt for a curved version & after various phone calls to " head office ' he quoted £5,400 , we pointed out to him as my wife is registered disabled she is entitled NOT to pay v.a.t on these products, ( there was no mention of this in the sales patter ) but it was going to save us £800 ,we had to sign a form with my wife's registration number, now even though he had these forms in his case, he seemed reluctant to mention this upfront, so we duly paid a 50 % deposit we were told the installation would be within the week, we asked about extended warrantys etc, but was repeatedly told that that engineer would discuss all the options after installing, so we went ahead as i did not want to stress my wife with endless salesmen etc, the install was fine - took about 3 hours, then after being shown how to operate to stairlift came the bomb shell an ( 4 ) year extended warranty was £1600, they offer a bronze /silver / gold level of service but the gold one at £1600 is the one they keep pushing & pushing they do, the lift only comes with a one year warranty, and since easter hardly a week goes by without a call from them to sign up, to be fair the lift gives my wife the freedom she needs & its great for any heavy shopping etc, but the whole experience leaves a lot to be desired.
  • D007
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    just write to them and make it crystal clear if they dont stop harrassing her you will inform the police
    I think you should call the head office and ask them to leave your mom alone. Sometimes it happens that the sale managers bombard the customers to earn more money without the order from thу head office. Maybe they can give you a paper where you can sign that you don't need additional warranties or whatever. If nothing helps call the police and let them clear up if the salesmen can make those calls all the time.
  • paul66beetle
    Options
    Which? have a buyers guide. Not sure if it is much help. I would always recommend getting about 3 quotes and seeing if they are trading standards approved or a Which? Trusted Trader. Do your research first and read the online reviews.

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/staying-independent-at-home/guides/how-to-buy-the-best-stairlift/

Someone mentioned middleman and passing the jobs on to Acorn. Personally I would strongly recommend Prestige Stairlifts if you are in the South East. They don't have salesmen just qualified engineers and the advice they give is impartial and you are under no obligation to buy or take out extended warranties and your details wont be passed on. They do the work themselves and don't act as middlemen. They definitely won't give you the hard sell. Not sure if they cover your area though but give them a ring.

http://www.prestigestairlifts.co.uk/index.html

Look at companies local to you, because in the event of a breakdown you will want someone to come and repair it quickly. Also check if there are any recommended companies that work with the council. Sometimes you can get grants and help towards them.

Also dont forget that disability products are exempt from VAT.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got an Acorn stairlift, not quite sure where the key is but it must be somewhere around the house.
    My Mum had it fitted about 3yrs before she died, they told her they would buy it back if there came a time when it wasn't needed anymore. After my Mum died we got in touch with them to see how much they'd give us. They said then, that they re-buy, but they help us to sell. They offered us 'free' printed post cards that we could ask some of our local shops to put in their windows. Then after we found ourselves a buyer they'd come and take it out and refit it in the buyers house. They wanted a couple of hundred pounds to remove it and then they'd charge the other people a couple of hundred to fit it in their house.
    So after all the messing about we may have got about tuppence if we'd sold it. I decided it was better to leave it where it is, one day i may be glad of it myself. Or if i sell the house, and the buyer is an older person, they may be glad of it.
    Even though it hasn't been used in 9yrs now it hasn't stopped Acorn phoning to remind us that i haven't paid the maintenance contract, or to offer the latest up-to-date stairlift at a discount.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • paul66beetle
    Options
    You can get the stairlift removed for free. http://www.prestigestairlifts.co.uk/stairlift-removal.html

Like you said though, its worth keeping in if its not the way. If you've lost the key I think replacements can be obtained quite easily. There should be a plastic winding key and a little key for the switch (these are usually left in)
  • paul66beetle
    paul66beetle Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2015 at 3:48PM
    Options
  • ChrisCD
    Options
    I've had to deal with some mildly irritating phonecalls from Acorn over the last couple of weeks. The 4 year warranty on my mothers Brooks stair-lift runs out in August (Acorn now own Brooks, seemingly) and they contacted us with an offer of £50 off the £595 cover fee.

Don't have a problem with that as such, but the girl who phones keeps insisting that the only method of payment they can do is over the phone and that my mother (90 years old with hearing problems and slight dementia) has to do personally. This is actually nonsense, as they do have the opportunity to pay by cheque on the forms, something someone of my mums generation is far happier with.

Twice I've requested that they post us the forms when they've phoned and twice we've received nothing. I eventually asked them to email me the forms which they finally did yesterday.

I think as well as the phone calls, the most irritating thing about these warranties is their insistance you can only take out 4-5 year contracts with one payment with no opportunity to spread the payments. £500 is a lot of money for a single payment,particularly for an elderly person of limited means.

Does anyone know if there are any reputable companies out there that offer alternative cover with better payment options?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure