PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Onion chutney

I have recently discovered preserving in jars :)
I am going to attempt to make hampers for xmas this year as I'm tight on cash. I wanted to include onion chutney in them, I made some which turned out fine but only made two smallish/mediumish jars (less than 1lb each). This used a pack of tesco value red onions and about 100ml vinegar and sugar. Is that about the right amount or have I done something wrong?

Comments

• Anyone??? :(
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,212 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you checked with Saint Dehlia on line?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • madnotstupid
    madnotstupid Posts: 199 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2014 at 3:25PM
    My recipe for sweet onion relish

6 onions (I used 4 large brown, 2 red last time, but whatever you fancy)
    2/3 peppers any colour
    6oz/ 150g raisins
    2 apples
    2lb / 1kg sugar any kind
    500ml / 1pt vinegar (brown for better colour)
    200ml lemon juice
    1 sachet pectin (check pack for how to use)

chop onions, peppers, apples as finely as you can be bothered.(If you put the onions in the freezer for 15-20 minutes before you chop you won't cry so much!!) I've left everything to soak overnight before and I think it cooks more quickly. Put everything into a large cooking pan and boil until a spoonful sets on a cold plate. If I remember rightly it takes about 20mins. Pour into jars and seal while hot.

Keeps for at least 18 months (never lasted longer). makes the house stink for a few days, but is fab on cheese on toast. If you wanted to keep it simpler the apples raisins and peppers are easy enough to miss out, but they make it sweeter, and the apples help it to set.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've never made onion chutney.
    Were you following a recipe?
    If so what is it that you think is wrong?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure