PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning out shoes

Hope old stylers can come to the rescue and help me.

My 2 year old nephew was very sick as i drove him to school this morning. I've managed to sort out the car and wrestle the covers from his car seat and into the washing machine, but

1) the straps of his car seat are still a bit whiffy, despite sponging down with hot water and washing up liquid. What else can i try?

2) Unfortunately, he'd taken his (new!) shoes off and was sick inside his shoes. How do i clean them out and get rid of the smell? I can't just chuck them in the machine - they are clarks ones with lights in the heels.

Thanks!

Comments

• arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Something strong like dettol? Or some biological washing powder/ gel.

I was sick in my car recently and i sponged down the seats etc and it didn't smell.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Oh poor nephew and poor you too! The only thing I can think of at the moment is bicarbonate of soda for the shoes. If you manage to wipe them out and then fill them full of bicarb and leave overnight, it might absorb some of the pong.
  • I have washed Clark trainers with lights on a few times and the lights still work. They must be waterproof for splashing in puddles.
  • Yes I too would put them in the WM I do my trainers in a tied-at -the -neck old pillowcase to stop it thumping around a bit
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Definitely bio washing liquid in water will work on smell or pet deodorising gel (cat one) works brilliantly. My son was once sick down the stairs and it worked brilliantly.

Im sorry I would not be OS re the shoes and would replace them if they did not go through the washing machine and come out clean and smell free. You have nothing to lose.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Thanks for your suggestions all, I will be brave and washing machine his shoes. I have a trainers wash on my machine, which might help.

I cheated and took the car to be valeted this morning. Just the straps of his chair to go. Luckily we have a spare car seat for tomorrow's school run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure