• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kilty wrote: »
    I assume you need to own a VW? :rotfl:

There's always a catch.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    There will be a queue outside VW Dealers on Monday morning.. :D
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Seems this company does them free, (and not just at their VW dealers):

http://listers.co.uk/Servicing/PunctureRepair
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »

Thanks made a note of that in my diary, unfortunately the nearest one is over 70mls away.
    Some you win some you lose
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »

The repair may be free like nationwide, but they may charge for balancing, perhaps someone can check.
  • slimgym
    slimgym Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I ended up here through google, so someone else might - may be some help for an up to date price.

Was going to go anywhere except Kwik Fit as had bad experiences some years ago (lots of extras added to the quote price). Ended up at Halfords in Welwyn Garden City who were too busy, as were National Tyres (who are next door) but Kwik Fit (who are next door again!) could do it while I waited.

They charged £9.50 for the puncture repair, plus £4.75 for the valve, £6.75 to balance and £1.50 to inflate with nitrogen, so the total was £22.50. I didn't ask for any of this - just said I wanted the puncture repair. The wheel was already balanced, maybe moving the bit of rubber off and back on needs a re-balance but I'm sceptical. The valve was fine and I have air in the rest of my tyres already and wouldn't have minded air in this one too.

The tyre had a lot more life left so £22.50 is not so bad to keep it going. But as a proportion of the cost of a new tyre seems steep. When I last had the tyres replaced the bloke came out to me and fitted them at home for £105 a corner. If it had less life in it I would just opt for a new tyre TBH.
  • loopholer
    Options
    google "car puncture repair" and you'll end up here. I can confirm that kwikfit is £22.50. I can also confirm that national.co.uk are still doing the offer of a free repair (offer ends end of 2012 but could be extended), I was quoted £10 for fitting and balancing, said you must bring the voucher printed off. I'm visiting a VW dealer today, I recently paid them £179 for an oil change and MOT for my Golf, so hoping for a quote of £0, I'm going to pretend to be interested in a new VW while I'm at it.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    loopholer wrote: »
    I recently paid them £179 for an oil change and MOT for my Golf, so hoping for a quote of £0, I'm going to pretend to be interested in a new VW while I'm at it.

Best nick one of the lollipops as well.
  • loopholer
    loopholer Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2012 at 7:55AM
    Options
    got the puncture repaired at local VW dealership for £15. This included free tea and coffee on a leather sofa in the showroom, they also hoovered and washed my car. (no lollipops available)

Initially Kwikfit said the tyre was not repairable on the basis that it had a previous repair, they quoted me £132 for a new tyre and said the old one could be weakend, explode and it would all end terribly. I declined the new tyre and took it home. First you need to check if the puncture is in the repairable area, i.e. not close to the edge, http://www.etyres.co.uk/repairable-area-gauge
    If it is repairable, call around for the best deal. For me National.co.uk were cheapest at £10 if you printed off the voucher (£10 is for valve and balance, and the balance is required as the repair patch adds weight and puts the balance slightly off). I decided on the dealship because the national place is scruffy and the traffic is bad around there, the deaship was right at a motorway junction I pass on the way home.

Note that you can repair a tyre as many times as you like as long as the repair patches do not overlap, the diameter of the patch is about 50mm, so provided your punctures are more than 50mm apart and inside the repairable area, the tyre can be repaired. If the garage tell you otherwise, they are lying/misinformed/greedy, i.e. Kwikfit. (side note, the tyre must otherwise be in good condition and have a legal amount of tread).

If anyone from Kwifit reads this, it's the Inverkeithing branch, wheel presented at 15:15 on Sunday 14th October 2012, they have my number, you are also the most expensive at £22.50, I won't be back.
  • mkirkby
    mkirkby Posts: 279 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2012 at 10:33AM
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I remember someone posting on here a couple of weeks ago to say he'd bought a kit on Ebay to fix his own punctures.

A bit like this one I guess:-
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007C5XSIM/ref=asc_df_B007C5XSIM10142550?smid=A24NG3K2ESGK3U&!!!!!hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B007C5XSIM&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1578330284250657093&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

There are loads of them on eBay.

Talk to any professional and they will say they are deadly and not guaranteed.

Personal experience has shown otherwise. I have used these kits 4 times now. Once on a car and 3 times on a 1200 bandit. That's a high power motorbike with serious consequences if the puncture fails. I've done 1000's of miles across the country and Europe with one of those plugs in the tyre with no issues whatsoever.

Never heard of a fix failing either but you pay your money and you take your choice I suppose.

PS I'm not the guy starting a franchise either....if you want it fixing, do it your bl*&dy self!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure