Sort 7 financial things in 7 days

mineallmine
mineallmine Posts: 3,053
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 15 December 2012 at 12:35PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi,

If this thread should sit somewhere else can a Mod please move :)

I find the "What small DFW things will you do today?" thread really useful. I have some big DFW things I need to do but put off. I'd like to sort these things I hate doing quickly. The idea is to sort 7 financial things in 7 days. And not wait until the New Year to start. I need to:

1. Close an old savings account and cancel the standing order (yes I know this should be straightforward :o)
DONE!

2. Open a new savings account with best rate etc

3. Get an ISA for this financial year, again with best rate
DONE!

4. Check interest rate on old ISA. Consider transfer.
DONE... AWAITING TRANSFER FORM.

5. Do an up to date inventory of all monthly/yearly direct debits. Check through it.
DONE!

6. Reconnect the Energy Monitor. See what the thirsty lights/ appliances are. Think how to reduce energy usuage.

7. Research options for loft insultation top up (DIY, MSE newsletter offers)
DONE!

Anyone want to join me? I'm starting tomorrow 6/12/12.
:A
Achieved 5/7 last week so not bad considering I hate doing stuff like this and put it off :j

So here's the next list including any items not achieved last week:

1. Open a new savings account

2. Find paperwork for closing another old dusty savings account. Cancel the standing order

3. Find paperwork for old ISA

4. Get hubby to reconnect the Energy Monitor to highlight thirsty lights/appliances

5. Do an inventory of all Direct Debits in main account

6. Create a new budget spreadsheet for 2013

7. Sort an awkward goods return using Martins consumer guide in this weeks newsletter

So this is all about getting these ruddy bigger things sorted and done. Consolidating savings. Using ISA allowances/best deals.
:j
:) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
:cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
:heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 9 December 2012 at 6:06PM
    Funnily enough, I've just done Nos 2, 3 and 5 in the past couple of days!

Best of luck Mine - I'll have a think and if I can come up with another 7, I'll join you!

First on the list would be No 1 ... now that No 2's sorted:rotfl:

ETA Right ... I'll give it my best shot!

1. Write to bank to close old savings account & request a cheque for outstanding balance (only around £3 but hey ...)
    2. Write to old employer's pension agency to advise of change of address (moved in 2007 :o) and request update pension forecast *
    3. Write to CU to increase salary deduction to savings account to £20 / month (have been meaning to do this all year:o)
    4. Financial filing - sorting through bags of old stuff from the "forgotten years" #
    5. [STRIKE]Start new DFW Diary[/STRIKE] DONE
    6. Sort out new ISA for 2012 monthly saver money (boiler fund)

* thanks lessonlearned - have been meaning to do that one for several years and keep forgetting!:o:rotfl:

# See Post 9
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    Thanks Rising! Let's do this :)

Thanks to LessonLearned over on the Fabbing thread who sparked the financial fabber in me http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4192087&page=19#post57729593
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Well done on getting started.

Some great ideas to get me thinking.

My big push will start when we've moved house and a lot of things will need to wait until then.

At the moment I'm doing my research on where I can make improvements/cut backs etc.

I made a big start today sorting out what to do with my pension. Have filled out the forms and sent them back.

I've already researched our new broadband/tv/phone package which will start when we move.

So yes please count me in.
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    Thanks LessonLearned. Great to have you on board. :)

I'm liking the list Rising. £3 is £3 in your hands not theres to save or spend at will. :)

I'm determined to get these long standing things sorted. It's as much about consolidation (and shutting down things) as anything.

:A
  • Might have to start with the 3 and try to add as I can .... is that OK?

Will have a proper think tomorrow (very tired atm!) as brain's a bit mince just now
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    It doesn't have to be 7 things Rising. Completing one thing is a positive start to shift the big stuff.

Anyone else care to join us? :)
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    I'm in too!
    Will have a little think about what can be done and be back with an update

Good luck to everyone else!:beer:
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 8:09PM
    I'm determined to get these long standing things sorted. It's as much about consolidation (and shutting down things) as anything.

Think that's how I feel with the filing - I know might seem insignificant but having already cleared out loads of stuffed bags of paperwork (hidden under my bed for years) - I've managed to fill another 3 bag for life's :o

It's weird looking through the stuff as they were the dark, horrid days when everything was awful and I owed £000s ...... I'd forgotten how many c/cards I had .... how bad things really were so it was good in a funny sort of way to remind myself (as I never want to be there again!)

How on earth I think I can manage my finances properly without being able to file stuff, I'll never know:mad: I am better organised with newer stuff (although it can tend to accumulate before it's actually filed away!) but need to get rid of this old stuff once & for all.

Clearing the last of it out would be fantastic - bit like you've mentioned Mine .... drawing a line under it and moving on!:)
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Have made a start!
    Phoned my old gas/elec supplier and it turns out they owe me £50 that is now winging to way back to me account.:j

My mini goals (not all for the next 7 days!) ....
    • Look into old accounts and suppliers to see if they owe me anything - success with the first one!
    • Eventually build up £5k in an emergency not to be touched account (£k ish in there now)
    • Reign in the supermarket shopping as its creeping up again
    • Pay off the sofa interest free credit before the deal is up and the charges kick in in January - will pay it off next weekend when I get paid, have saved up the money in a separate account so no issues there:)
    • See if there's anything I can declutter and ebay to tidy up and make a little bit of cash
    • Look through the direct debits to make sure there's nothing I can economise on
    • Pay off half of the credit card - not a massive bill but could do with getting rid of
    That will do for starters!
  • beadgirl87
    beadgirl87 Posts: 193
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 10:37PM
    Hi I like the sound of this. Have been putting some stuff off for a while.

1. Contact Aqua to unlock my online account.
    Have totally forgotten my password and want to check available credit as I want to spend on it to get cashback.
    2. Move money from mum and dad to the right bank account. DONE
    Bought Christmas present for mum and dad in a shop for them.
    3. If I pass 6 month probation at work on Friday, email HR about the pension scheme and how I can join up.
    4. Have a bit of a sort out as I feel that my money is in lots of different accounts and I cant trace it. Rearrange all of my money. Sort of done, for the month - Having a big sort out at end of year to get budgeting pots on track.
    5.Check that DD for car HP has been set up by the garage (have already asked twice!) they dont seem to know why I want to know when £140 will leave my account every month!
    6. Plan what to do with my Christmas bonus, put it all in an ISA, or spend a bit, or put it towards an annual bill?
    7. Waiting for topcashback money to arrive...need to cash out survey monies aswell for Christmas presents.
    June 10/10 NSD
    Owe [STRIKE]£571[/STRIKE] £0 :) lloyds credit card [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£1030[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£400[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£170[/STRIKE] £0 :) overdraft
    [STRIKE]£6400[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£6049[/STRIKE] £5949 Barclays Loan.
    [STRIKE]£2290[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£1760 [/STRIKE] £1560 Car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure