Hogging right lane

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The problem is, in the construction he used our language only allows for he, she, or it. Two can be seen as sexist, one might just conceivably be insulting!
  • Joe_Horner wrote: »
    The problem is, in the construction he used our language only allows for he, she, or it. Two can be seen as sexist, one might just conceivably be insulting!

With properly constructed sentences, neither she, he nor it would have been necessary.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    If I'm doing the maximum speed limit for that road and I plan on taking the next right I fail to see what the issue is?

I've come across people doing this too, trouble is they're in the RH lane more than half a mile before they intend to turn.

It doesn't matter what the speed limit is, it's not your job to Police other road users, so get the hell out of the overtaking lane.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 October 2016 at 10:41PM
    I tend to favour getting the correct turning lane in good time as i drive a 1 litre car which is not good at nipping into tiny gaps at the last minute.

I would say initially indicate to get into the right hand lane then indicate again about 200 yards before the actual right hand turn - definitely NOT just leave your RH indicator running for ages as it simply looks like you have forgotten to cancel!

If someone is tailgating then gradually reduce your speed to match the distance they are away from you so that they could safely stop without hitting you if you needed to stop. Definitely avoid the temptation to "brake test" an annoying tailgator like many people seem to do.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you saying I should be speeding too?

If it's the norm for drivers to speed in the right hand lane it would make it difficult to move over from the left just before my turn. I prefer not to take the risk.

If it really was JUST BEFORE your turn then you wont have been in the way. By the time they got to be tailgating you and blinding you then you will have been at the junction.

I vision it as you see car approaching too fast in the right hand lane and you either deliberately pulled out or failed to read the traffic properly and pulled out into the path of an approaching vehicle and far too early for the junction. Maybe get some more driving lessons?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Strider590
    I think people hog the lane like that because they secretly enjoy trying to control other people.

There is no excuse for moving to the RH lane half a mile (and blocking other drivers) before the turn/roundabout/whatever, they're simply using that as an excuse to drive like a a55.

They're bad drivers, they want a bad reaction from other drivers so that they can claim the moral high ground and win some sort of small victory, whilst everyone else is just trying to get to work.

They're the one's that accelerate to stop people merging after they've already been overtaken, so that they can honk and flash and whine about how you cut them up.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I think people hog the lane like that because they secretly enjoy trying to control other people.

There is no excuse for moving to the RH lane half a mile (and blocking other drivers) before the turn/roundabout/whatever, they're simply using that as an excuse to drive like a a55.....

At 70mph you will cover a half mile in under 30 seconds.

When you are wanting to leave a motorway would you would surely aim to be in the left hand lane when you reach the half mile to exit marker rather than still be in the middle or right hand lane? Only a fool would leave it till only 10 seconds before their exit to move into the left hand lane, so you would surely allow the same safety margin for getting into the right hand lane for a right turn?
  • Strider590
    boliston wrote: »
    At 70mph you will cover a half mile in under 30 seconds.

When you are wanting to leave a motorway would you would surely aim to be in the left hand lane when you reach the half mile to exit marker rather than still be in the middle or right hand lane? Only a fool would leave it till only 10 seconds before their exit to move into the left hand lane, so you would surely allow the same safety margin for getting into the right hand lane for a right turn?

Your twisting my words............ The LH lane (lane 1) is the normal driving lane, that's where drivers should be normally. Lane 2 and 3 are overtaking lanes, only an idiot is going to be overtaking as they're about to exit a motorway.

On the other hand, on a dual-carriageway that ends with a roundabout, moving into the RH lane half a mile before the roundabout, is nothing short of passive-aggressive behaviour.
    I've even seen people drive for miles down the RH lane and then move into the LH lane at the last minute to turn left. For no other reason than trying to control and annoy other drivers!

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    With properly constructed sentences, neither she, he nor it would have been necessary.

How do you refer to someone without using he/she/it in a properly constructed sentence?

I suppose you could repeatedly refer to "the driver", but it gets a bit repetitive without the use of he/she.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    According to wikipedia flashing the headlights is often a warning to others of speed traps. He could have been warning you of those. Best thing to do if someone flashes headlights like that is to ignore it and carry on. If they get too close behind you take your foot off the accelerator because it is better to have a crash at low speed than at high speed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure