Inherited portfolio-too much duplication?

12346»

Comments

• StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I invest mainly for growth at the moment but some funds/trusts are growth and income funds. I must admit I find it easier to sell a part of a fund/trust to fund a luxury rather than invest in income funds purely to take an income, however, I do realise that with no income in retirement there is definitely a need for income only portfolio's but that's why it's so important for the OP to know which is best for them?
  • Thank you StellaN, I have gone for a combination of Growth & Income but with the emphasis on income and some defensive IT's/Strategic Bonds. I just want to thank all contributors for their suggestions...I have to admit reading through the thread that my brain was rather addled following the passing of my father so apologies for confusing others and myself about what I was trying to say.
    Thanks G.
  • I mostly use my personal allowance.
  • Sue58
    Sue58 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Not at all. Currently these are my IT holdings.

UTL
    INV
    UEM
    AIF
    SMIF
    TFIF
    DIVI
    SDV
    TRY
    SOI
    HFEL

Because these are all high yield/dividend paying IT's I assume you hold these for income but what about performance or does that not really matter so much when you have such good dividend yields?

I invest in more growth and income IT's but concentrate mainly on performance and then sell some units when they are high for some extra income, if required or special treats like an exotic holiday. Is this not a very good way to do things and should I really be looking at better paying yield IT's rather than concentrating on performance?
  • I suppose it's what's best for each individual according to their circumstances,stating the obvious I know.
    Some take your route,others income to live off,others purely growth and then others like me who want mainly income but still some defensive IT's/Strategic Bonds as back up.
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sue58 wrote: »
    Because these are all high yield/dividend paying IT's I assume you hold these for income but what about performance or does that not really matter so much when you have such good dividend yields?

I invest in more growth and income IT's but concentrate mainly on performance and then sell some units when they are high for some extra income, if required or special treats like an exotic holiday. Is this not a very good way to do things and should I really be looking at better paying yield IT's rather than concentrating on performance?

If at the moment you don't rely on your investments for income or even to top up your income, then I think it is fine to invest for growth & income and sell some units if and when required for a special purchase etc. At the moment this is the method I am using.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure