Portfolio Management Fee Refund

Hi,

I received a letter from Santander letting me know I was due a refund from a previous investment with them. They were labelling it 'premium investment', and said they owed me a refund in portfolio management fees.

As I know I have had shares previously and also a loan directly with them, I signed and returned the relevant forms. However as the letter was addressed to me using my middle name instead of my first name, they responded saying I had not signed it correctly from the 'right name'.

I called up 3 times to the number provided, and was told a 'SME' was looking into the matter, but no one contacted me back. So I called back again and was told that actually they had got it wrong, and that they didn't owe me the money. But they refused to go into detail since I had failed the security check (them having my middle name as my first name).

So I am left none the wiser, but have logged a complaint for the inconvenience. What is this premium investment, why do Santander have my details if this is invalid and why have they changed their mind on refunding me money for portfolio management fees?!

Anyone else know or had something similar?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What is this premium investment

Hold on. Are you saying you were willing to receive redress on something you know you didnt have?

You would know if you held it as not many people do not know that they hold investments with someone.
    why do Santander have my details if this is invalid and why have they changed their mind on refunding me money for portfolio management fees?!

Maybe they used a tracing company and didnt realise it wasnt you until the security check was made. Maybe it was two people with similar names.

If its not your money then you would not be entitled to it. Or maybe when they found the right details they realised it wasnt your money to be refunded or that you had the service that was being paid for.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    chucklles wrote: »
    have logged a complaint for the inconvenience.
    I hope you didn't do this in the expectation of monetary reward?

You've failed security because, clearly, you are not the correct recipient of any redress.

Your signature won't have matched either, not just your name.

However, they won't now be able to tell you exactly what happened because of data protection.
    I expect the correct customer has your middle name as his first.

Accept that mistakes like this do (very very rarely) happen. It does indeed look like an error rather than a "change of mind"

Regardless, you are not legally entitled to any money that is not yours. They might make a small goodwill gesture to be rid of you.
  • chucklles wrote: »
    As I know I have had shares previously and also a loan directly with them, I signed and returned the relevant forms.

When the original letter came with my details my partner and myself thought it looked like a scam. When the second letter came we checked the phone number and address and believed it without questioning that this kind of mistake happens.

But making mistakes makes sense, but weird when all your details are staring you in the face.

The tracing company thing makes sense, but that wasn't explained.

Merely was hoping for some answers and to highlight as to what has gone on.

Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    chucklles wrote: »
    The tracing company thing makes sense, but that wasn't explained.
    Nor will it ever be explained to you, since you are not the correct recipient.

Signing on the dotted line for "free money" might be understandable, but that does not make it right. Why did you not query the "refund" rather than blindly accepting it? You say you suspected it was a scam and still went for it?

This is a text book example of why and how people do fall for scams...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure