Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sam1970
    • By sam1970 19th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,016Posts
    • 122Thanks
    sam1970
    House renovation...Energy saving measures!!
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    House renovation...Energy saving measures!! 19th Mar 17 at 12:12 PM
    We moved into this 100 years old house last year (5 beds detached) and obviously there is a lot of energy waste considering the house age and the inefficient 40 years old boiler. My annual gas use (Heating and cooking) was 24000 KW in comparison with 12000 in our previous house. This is with very tight use of heating (2 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening in the winter months). Annual electricity use was 6000 KW and that is with energy saving bulbs every where.

We will be starting a loft conversion soon followed by complete house renovation (plastering, rewiring, floors, central heating etc) and apart from the obvious energy efficient boiler I wonder what other energy saving measures we should consider. Advice will be much appreciated
    something missing
Page 1
    • thozza
    • By thozza 19th Mar 17, 10:03 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    thozza
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:03 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:03 PM
    Try the DIY forum http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39 where this type of topic is regularly discussed, this forum is mainly about off grid energy.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 21st Mar 17, 1:20 AM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:20 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:20 AM
    We will be starting a loft conversion soon followed by complete house renovation (plastering, rewiring, floors, central heating etc) and apart from the obvious energy efficient boiler I wonder what other energy saving measures we should consider.
    Originally posted by sam1970
    As you are plastering, internal wall insulation would certainly be a big help - I'd go for warm batten and aim for around 75mm of Celotx/Kingspan on the walls.

Floors are another source of heat loss, but insulating under suspended wooden floors can be problematic. The the boards are tongue & groove with 3x2 joists, your options are very limited.

If you are lifting the boards on the upper floors, it is well worth checking for draughts - I've got some howling gales blowing through under my floorboards upstairs and have identified some of the areas on the external walls where the wind is getting through. Slowing going round the place insulating between the ground floor ceiling and upstairs floor, sealing the gaps in the brickwork, and adding internal wall insulation.

If you don't have much in the way of loft insulation, that is one relatively low cost improvement you could do - Current minimum recommendation is 270mm of mineral wool.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • sam1970
    • By sam1970 21st Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    sam1970
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    Many thanks for your reply. I will be considering your suggestions. As for the loft, we are actually starting with a loft conversion so hopefully that will sort it out
    something missing
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 31st Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    Ben84
    • 31st Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 31st Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    If you're going to be doing extensive work, I think you could benefit from getting a professional energy audit to weigh up the options better.

High efficiency new boilers can look good, but then again, I'm happy with my reliable 40-something year old boiler and have very low heating bills despite it. Our house (1920s build I believe, so not modern) has now been insulated and draft sealed very well, including secondary glazing. Our need for central heating is very limited now, and it doesn't matter how efficient your boiler is, it isn't burning gas when it's not running!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,540Posts Today

6,787Users online

Martin's Twitter