Is this person just trying to get her hands on lady's inheritance?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Well she was/is stirring with the cleaner who was there for ten years and got me fired once by stirring up trouble. The cleaner got my job back after a year. (The inheritance lady) has stirred up trouble for both of us, and it could be that she sees everyone as a threat to the money!

Or it could be that she has the old lady's best interests at heart and sees you as a potential trouble-causer for the old lady.
    Because that would be normal. People just aren't this nice. If she lived in a council flat a random ex-gardener (inheritance lady) wouldn't be coming around 5 evenings a week and doing all this. And if she is a mother Teresa then why is she so mean to me, the cleaner before and why did she get rid of another woman before who was helping the German lady years ago by stirring up trouble?
    People can be that nice.
    You do not know whether she would still be coming to see the old lady if she lived in a council flat or not.
    Maybe she is mean to you because you are clearly suspicious of her with - from what I've read - no valid reason.
    TBH, if I were visiting an old lady and a gardener showed the attitude that you seem to have, I'd be mean to you too.
    I don't like her because I feel or suspect she has plotted this whole thing rather than it happening naturally.
    'feel'
    'suspect'

I really do hope you are not considering reporting this woman based on this.

After reading your latest posts, I think I'm tending to agree with this:
    tea_lover wrote: »
    And this is any of your business because....?
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Also interesting that one of the very first things you posted was your perceived value of her house. Doesn't sound like it's her welfare you're concerned about.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This is so odd! People do good things, you know.

We moved north and were very thankful to friends who helped my parents when we weren't around. I mean lifts, moving heavy stuff etc and even holding my father's cheque book to get out money for him when he went into a residential home.

My aunt, 300 miles away, also has good neighbours who help her.

My friend and neighbour, 88, will be here for all three rugby games tomorrow. Perhaps I'll be accused of plying her with wine for nefarious reasons.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    If you genuinely think the younger woman and her partner are taking advantage or coercing the old lady then there is only one thing you could do.contact your local council and ask for adult services. Tell them the story and they will decide if any safe guarding action should be taken. I don't really think it's a police matter but social services have the time and resources to investigate these types of things. Do you think that the old lady would be in a old people's home if the couple didn't go round to see her?.
  • Scrimps
    Scrimps Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Or it could be that she has the old lady's best interests at heart and sees you as a potential trouble-causer for the old lady.

People can be that nice.
    You do not know whether she would still be coming to see the old lady if she lived in a council flat or not.
    Maybe she is mean to you because you are clearly suspicious of her with - from what I've read - no valid reason.
    TBH, if I were visiting an old lady and a gardener showed the attitude that you seem to have, I'd be mean to you too.

'feel'
    'suspect'

I really do hope you are not considering reporting this woman based on this.

After reading your latest posts, I think I'm tending to agree with this:

I agree people can be nice, and actually usually are but i have highlighted the words 'feel' and 'suspect' that you quoted because, actually, that is when you should report your concerns.

Perhaps having worked in youth services and now the NHS my view is skwewed.
    They ask that you report/flag 'feelings' and 'suspicions' because when multiple people dont , the numerous people that had nothing more than 'feelings' and 'suspicions' dont add to the bigger, concerning picture of possible abuse/coercion etc....usually gets reported in the news about children rather than the elderly but doesnt mean its any less prevalent.

That said, youre not an agency with safeguarding obligations and be careful of listening to gossip and also letting your own possible dislike of someone skew your thought process as to their motives.
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Yes, and I'd really doubt that it was 18 years in Germany.

The OP has edited the original post so no idea what was changed.

The minimum school leaving age in Britain was 14 but that doesn't mean some people didn't stay on until 18. It would have been the same in Germany
  • applepicker
    applepicker Posts: 151 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 12:32AM
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    If you genuinely think the younger woman and her partner are taking advantage or coercing the old lady then there is only one thing you could do.contact your local council and ask for adult services. Tell them the story and they will decide if any safe guarding action should be taken. I don't really think it's a police matter but social services have the time and resources to investigate these types of things. Do you think that the old lady would be in a old people's home if the couple didn't go round to see her?.

Yes, I think she should be in a care home now. Although she's so stubborn she wouldn't want to go and loves her house. Recently she broke her hip and has just got back to house. Social services assessed that she needs two carers to visit everyday now. The '50s' woman still visits as well. Another reason I don't like her is after I sorted the recycling bins on my credit card I went around to get the cash and she said 'can't you get it next week'. She is difficult about paying and questions things and is condescending despite the fact that I go out of my way to do stuff.

I think she might actually care about the old German lady and her and her husband (who rarely visits but manages her money) are useful to her but I can't believe someone as controlling, suspicious, conniving etc as her isn't heavily motivated to do all of this because she is hoping to get the bungalow.

I don't know if this is worth reporting but anyone would suspect this wouldn't they?? What does next of kin actually mean as well? She is this. I guess it means nothing, being on the will is what gets you the money.

I live in Bournemouth and for the UK the salaries and availability of jobs is average; they're not great. There are lots of people on pretty low salaries here, however the house prices (because it's a nice area) are high. This leads to a culture of people pretending to be wealthier when they're actually skint. TA salary- £16,000. House price £500,000 I would guess.

I only get £10 for an hours work a week. Laughable really, but I just do it because she let's me use her garage to store my gardening equipment for other jobs so I am happy to do lots of poorly paid odd jobs for her which no one else would for the money she pays.

I also (probably similar to the '50s inheritance woman') also care a bit about the German lady because I have known her for so long. And despite being completely nuts and difficult at times has been very warm to me occasionally. But being practical ( I have a child to support) I wouldn't work for £10 a week if I didn't have the storage perk. And I suspect the inheritance woman doesn't have much money herself and is also being practical and hoping for a much bigger reward after all her caring!
  • Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    Apple picker have you heard about the lady who was jailed because she wouldn't comply with social services?. if you google Manuel Martins social services the full story will be online. It is very sad and thought provoking. Maybe the couple don't want to see the old lady being placed in a home if they ceased their contact with her.
  • Scrimps wrote: »
    I agree people can be nice, and actually usually are but i have highlighted the words 'feel' and 'suspect' that you quoted because, actually, that is when you should report your concerns.

Perhaps having worked in youth services and now the NHS my view is skwewed.
    They ask that you report/flag 'feelings' and 'suspicions' because when multiple people dont , the numerous people that had nothing more than 'feelings' and 'suspicions' dont add to the bigger, concerning picture of possible abuse/coercion etc....usually gets reported in the news about children rather than the elderly but doesnt mean its any less prevalent.

That said, youre not an agency with safeguarding obligations and be careful of listening to gossip and also letting your own possible dislike of someone skew your thought process as to their motives.

If I reported this the German lady would just say she's my good friend etc etc and is currently in poor health, but she's mentally tough. But I guess they would find out about all the money management and the changing of the will (if that's happened.) I guess it wouldn't hurt just to ask them anonymously.
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    I don't personally see any issue here with the situation you describe.

However I am not seeing it first-hand and we should always err on the side of caution and report situations where we feel uncomfortable. Too many of us in the past have not reported situations that have left vulnerable people in terrible danger.

once you have reported your feelings, however, I would caution you to be very careful about talking to anyone else (other than the authorities you have spoken to) about your theories.

There is a danger that we can assign motives to another person's actions based on our own way of doing or thinking about things that are completely wrong. In this case it appears that it is the motives of the person you suspect, not their actions, (you don't believe she is being physically or mentally harmed?) so report it, leave it to the experts to investigate and if they find no case to answer - accept that you don't know the whole story here and leave them be.
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport