PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Covering an outside gas pipe, ideas?

samo8076
samo8076 Posts: 205 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 March 2017 at 12:18PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,

I need to cover an outside gas pipe that goes to a gas fire. It is on the side of the property about waist height.

Any ideas what i can use?

Cheers

Comments

• Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    What kind of pipe? (15/22mm copper?) Did you install it yourself?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • samo8076
    What kind of pipe? (15/22mm copper?) Did you install it yourself?

yeah its copper. No it was already there when i purchased the property.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We had to have a new piping, to comply with new regulations, when having our boiler replaced and the most cost effective means was having the run outside, instead of taking up the floor and removing tiles etc.

I was concerned that the metal would be attractive to thieves (especially after some targeted the metal on a new build estate ), but it soon weathered and we don't even notice it now, as it's a similar colour, grey/blue, to the brickwork and some conduit piping carrying the power supply to the garage. (It's not waist height though; it's just above door height)
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Why do you want to cover it?
    If for protection look at galvanised cable tray. If to look nice look at cable trunking.
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    cover it with waste pipe then it will truly be waste height

please can you clarify what is your question? Are you asking if there are rules about the type of material you must use to cover a gas pipe or are you simply asking for cosmetic ideas on what you can do?
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    samo8076 wrote: »
    yeah its copper. No it was already there when i purchased the property.

So simply lag it.
  • samo8076
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have just sold the property (well exchanged), and part of the survey revealed that as the pipe is at human height, it could be a risk to being knocked. As part of the buyers terms, they wanted me to get the pipe covered for when they complete the sale next week.

So i just need to cover it as per agreement
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did they say what they wanted it covered with? If you've already exchanged, then a nice coat of bright yellow paint so it's really visible might do the trick.......

Seriously, why as a purchaser would you leave this for a vendor to sort out unless there are very specific products mentioned to cover this with.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Maybe some keen knitter can offer some help? :D
    0d2062110ede5006bb82a69a427205d0.jpg
    EU expat working in London
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    samo8076 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have just sold the property (well exchanged), and part of the survey revealed that as the pipe is at human height, it could be a risk to being knocked. As part of the buyers terms, they wanted me to get the pipe covered for when they complete the sale next week.

So i just need to cover it as per agreement

Who's height? 5"6 or 6"8?

And you agreed to this term? Really?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills