PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2016 at 5:05PM
    Options
    Doveling wrote: »

I have a terracotta strawberry planter, would I be able to grow different herbs together in it? Or do different things need different soil types?
    Different soil types and different moisture requirements.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/which-herbs-grow-best-together-zbcz1506.aspx
    That said I used to have a strawberry planter with a selection of herbs. It looked pretty at first but eventually the roots were all competing for space and some of the growth was stunted. I found it better to plant in individual pots or in the garden if you have space. For example I ended up with a whole bank of oregano, a beautiful rosemary bush etc etc.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Wow, DigforVictory, all I can say is WOW. I wanna come and live at your place, will weed in return for victuals and regular tea.

It's above 30 c here today, was baking even before 9 am and the city is full of people moving languidly amidst bright sunlight and we look almost continental.

I sidled down a few shadier streets after w*rk and slid into M & S on the pretext of looking for reduced foodstuffs but really to enjoy the air-con. Didn't get anything but the coolth was lovely.:rotfl:

The lottie will have to mind its own business tonight as I am practising my hot weather skills, which presently involve lounging around the flat with the curtains drawn. Roamin' in the gloamin'.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :T Wow, DigforVictory, all I can say is WOW. I wanna come and live at your place, will weed in return for victuals and regular tea.

It's above 30 c here today, was baking even before 9 am and the city is full of people moving languidly amidst bright sunlight and we look almost continental.

I sidled down a few shadier streets after w*rk and slid into M & S on the pretext of looking for reduced foodstuffs but really to enjoy the air-con. Didn't get anything but the coolth was lovely.:rotfl:

The lottie will have to mind its own business tonight as I am practising my hot weather skills, which presently involve lounging around the flat with the curtains drawn. Roamin' in the gloamin'.

I'm certainly with you there - we went into our little Co-op a few hours ago and I didn't want to come out again :D
  • princesstippytoes
    Options
    Roasting here today too. We sent the office staff home early having spent most of the morning melting. Lots of fans in the office but days like this are rare so what the hell. Work will still be there tomorrow and I've diverted the phone so can still take calls if necessary.

Has anyone started any foraging yet? I got some wild raspberries at the weekend and some decent mushrooms are already popping up in the woods.
    Life is too short to waste a minute of it complaining about bad luck. Find joy in the simple things, show your love for those around you and be grateful for all that you have. :)
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) I'm going to be keeping an eye out on a couple of wild plum trees I know. Their haul can be a bit unpredictable, some years are bounteous, some neglible. Other than that, I've eaten some of the weeds on the allotment (fat hen and dandelion leaves) but there are far more of them than I could eat in a lifetime, so some of them are ending up in the compost bin.

mila, fat hen is the same thing as lamb's quarters/ pigweed.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • pineapple
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

mila, fat hen is the same thing as lamb's quarters/ pigweed.
    Me I'm still none the wiser!:rotfl:
    But I've made nettle brew and lived to tell the tale (recommended before flowering and avoiding doggie pee places ;) )
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Me I'm still none the wiser!:rotfl:
    But I've made nettle brew and lived to tell the tale (recommended before flowering and avoiding doggie pee places ;) )
    :) Bet you have seen it, it's as common as dirt: http://herbs-treatandtaste.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/fat-hen-not-just-chicken-feed-history.html

Plants can produce 20,000 seeds in one year. Which goes a long way to explaining how common it is. You can eat the leaves and the seeds. Like most wild greens, its taste gets likened to spinach. Only it's apparently more nutritious and free.:D
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • pineapple
    Options
    You should run one of those foraging courses GQ!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2016 at 6:11PM
    Options
    I wasn't venting. I was advising that we still have a troll in our midst for those who were unaware.

You have made an awful lot of negative personal comments - over quite some period of time.

Let's hope you've got it out of your system now and we can all move on.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    You should run one of those foraging courses GQ!
    :p I don't know anywhere near enough plants.

There are more things in nature in the UK which are unpalatable than are actually poisonous, but it's sensible to take a field guidebook with you until you're confident about what you're looking at.

I particularly like foraging from apple trees which have grown along the roadside from discarded cores. Some lovely varieties, much nicer than ye olde English crab apple. As my late Grandma would've phrased it, those are sharp enough to draw your a*** up to your elbows.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills