PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

earwig
earwig Posts: 1,097 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 13 March 2019 at 10:03AM in Old style MoneySaving
hi
just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
i cant slow down i wont be waiting for you i cant stop now because im dancing

Comments

• Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Yep... last night recomissioned it as the weather forecast stated a chilly 5C overnight.
    Thermostat is set at 18C...
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was hoping to last until Nov, but the house was cold last night so I gave in and put it on.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, not yet, but I doubt it will be long.
  • my two year old has woke up a few times over the last week so I have put the heating on very low in his room (I have storage heaters so can just heat one room) and he is now sleeping happily again.... Thank goodness!

Managed to keep the rest of the heating off so far.
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, not yet, but nobody here is under 16. DH and I did feel the need to put the duvet back on the bed 2 nights ago, instead of a sheet and a couple of cellular blankets, and we have both needed jumpers in the evening. My teenage sons haven't made any comment yet.

The early hours are certainly the ones when the cold is most noticeable, but we never set our heating to come on any earlier than 30 mins before the earliest anyone gets up. Can you do anything about warmer bedclothes/nightclothes for your children? I am out of touch with young childrens clothes but I expect you can still get sleepsuits that stay in place. You used to be able to get things to keep duvets etc in place if that is the problem.
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    Not yet, but we are thinking about putting it on in the evenings (I don't find the mornings too cold). It can only be a day or two at this rate before we fire it up.

We also have a solid fuel stove in the sitting room, but it's too good...we end up roasting and having all the doors open. I'll start laying a fire when I need heat in there during the day.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Not yet but it was freezing this morning so am considering putting it on for tomorrow morning
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I had it on last night for about an hour as my toes were freezing despite the thick socks... OH is away till tomorrow night so I'm taking the oppertunerty to save on heating ;) I can do this every week as he's away 2 nights a week at least heehee.
    I DID light up some candles tho - I have a candle thing that takes about 10 tea lights that I lit and found it was really really cozy and soon got toasty :) I only turned the heating on briefly when I got back from walking the dog after work (I was freeeeezin) but they did last all evening (and had already been burning a few weeks ago for a while...)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    yes but thats because i'm poorly. we put it on to test at the weekend as the hot water had been broken for a couple of months. (still had hot showers as that heats up water directly)
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    yup had it on here too

its lovely weather, sunny and blue skies but brrrrrrr its freezing esp in the mornings !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback