We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

climber for pot

andrewf75
andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for a climbing plant for a large pot to grow up a trellis on my house wall, S/SE facing

Just seen clematis winter beauty advertised, would that be suitable to grow in a pot or should I go for something smaller?

and am thinking I could grow Thunbergia alata as a combination to add summer interest? Does that sound feasible?

Thanks!

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Although the clematis like their flowers and foliage in the sun - they really don't like having their roots too warm - the pot would need to be well shaded.
    Perennial climbers by their nature like usually like a long root run to support all that top grown so there are not many that will enjoy a pot but some of the smaller less robust honeysuckles might be ok.
    Thunbergia alata is one of my faves and looks amazing but is very tender so you would need to untangle it and bring it indoors in the winter. However, the hardy winter flowering jasmine might be ok with canary creeper or Thunbergia as a summer companion treated like annuals.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Passionflower? Wisteria? Both doing well in pots here.
  • andrewf75
    Although the clematis like their flowers and foliage in the sun - they really don't like having their roots too warm - the pot would need to be well shaded.
    Perennial climbers by their nature like usually like a long root run to support all that top grown so there are not many that will enjoy a pot but some of the smaller less robust honeysuckles might be ok.
    Thunbergia alata is one of my faves and looks amazing but is very tender so you would need to untangle it and bring it indoors in the winter. However, the hardy winter flowering jasmine might be ok with canary creeper or Thunbergia as a summer companion treated like annuals.

Thanks, yes shading the roots could be an issue

Yep the thunbergia would be a summer companion, I treat it as an annual.

Some kind of jasmine I had also thought of.
  • andrewf75
    Reen wrote: »
    Passionflower? Wisteria? Both doing well in pots here.

Thanks, yes quite like the idea of passionflower, but I really want something with winter interest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure