Sky Magic Eye and Isolated aerial socket?

humfer
humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
Have just connected a 2nd tv to my sky box from another room by joining the internal coax aerial cable within the house. Basically a cable comes out of my RF2 on my Sky box into the aerial socket on the wall, and then for the 2nd tv I have a lead coming out of the aerial socket in that room into the back of the TV. The 2 leads have been joined together in the loft. All works fine and I get what ever is on the sky box in the 2nd tv.

However have just added a magic eye to the 2nd box, and it doesn't seem to be working. Have just noticed a paragraph under the 'problems' sections of the instructions and it states "If your second TV is connected to an isolated aerial socket then this will have to be replaced with a non-isolated socket". Sorry about my ignorance, but is this what the wall sockets are - isolated? And therefore will not work with the magic eye?

Comments

• hey hey hey i hae this exactly in my house!!!!! so i mite be able to help, however my camble just cums out of the rf2 and out ym living room windom upsiatrs then starigght in ym bedroom window into bag of tv, not through any ariel sockets, and i have my magic eye cntedcted... however i had to go into sky setting on the box and change it to rf2 on , or somthing liek that, it tells us ein teh sky box insturctions.. but i dont know if that helps
    "Lifes a climb - but the view up in fantastic"
    Gina Shoe Challange - £150 14 days - day1 £3.01
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Magic Eye's require a good clean connection for them to function, too many joins are bad news.

You would be better off running a co-ax lead directly from your Sky receiver to your second TV.
  • have you turned the power to the magic eye on? its not just plug and play..

cant remember the exact buttons, but a quick google will sort you out.
  • Mogz
    Mogz Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2011 at 8:27AM
    OK massive necropost I know but I have the same problem > new build house.

I have the sky image sending around to two other sockets with good quality, and the amplifier in the loft is Sky DigiEYE compatible, but the TVLink isn't getting any voltage.

If I plug a TVLink receiver in directly to the sky box (RF Output 2) it works, so its not the box configuration.

I've just taken one of the UHF Aerial sockets off and there looks to be a capacitor on there which effectively isolates the port from passing through any significant current or voltage, most likely a form of lightning strike surge protection.

Checkout this link! It appears I will need non-isolated wall plates.

http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/tech/wallplates.htm

http://www.satcuredotcodotuk/accs/page15.htm

please replace "dot" with "."

There are three possible problems

1) the sockets
    2) the connections
    3) the amplifier is not passing through the voltage in the loft.

with regards to number 2, i think it's an unlikely problem because I used proper plugs all around, (all metal) with screw connectors for the core connection, which is almost as good as a soldered connection.

with regards to number 3, I've triple checked and it _should_ work.

I can get my meter out and see if the 9v DC voltage is getting past the capacitor in the socket, but it means getting the tv out and messing up the lounge AGAIN.

Since I've found that link, it clearly describes that these sockets are blocking the voltage so I'll just order some non-isolated sockets and report back with the results once they are changed.

Just really reporting here for future reference of other users, as this will become more and more common with new build housing popping up everywhere ;)
  • westy85
    westy85 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Mogz wrote: »
    OK massive necropost I know but I have the same problem > new build house.

I have the sky image sending around to two other sockets with good quality, and the amplifier in the loft is Sky DigiEYE compatible, but the TVLink isn't getting any voltage.

If I plug a TVLink receiver in directly to the sky box (RF Output 2) it works, so its not the box configuration.

I've just taken one of the UHF Aerial sockets off and there looks to be a capacitor on there which effectively isolates the port from passing through any significant current or voltage, most likely a form of lightning strike surge protection.

Checkout this link! It appears I will need non-isolated wall plates.

http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/tech/wallplates.htm

http://www.satcuredotcodotuk/accs/page15.htm

please replace "dot" with "."

There are three possible problems

1) the sockets
    2) the connections
    3) the amplifier is not passing through the voltage in the loft.

with regards to number 2, i think it's an unlikely problem because I used proper plugs all around, (all metal) with screw connectors for the core connection, which is almost as good as a soldered connection.

with regards to number 3, I've triple checked and it _should_ work.

I can get my meter out and see if the 9v DC voltage is getting past the capacitor in the socket, but it means getting the tv out and messing up the lounge AGAIN.

Since I've found that link, it clearly describes that these sockets are blocking the voltage so I'll just order some non-isolated sockets and report back with the results once they are changed.

Just really reporting here for future reference of other users, as this will become more and more common with new build housing popping up everywhere ;)

I had the same problem in a new build.

I had the coax going from Sky box into wallplate in lounge, up into the loft then out of a wall plate in the bedroom. Picture worked ok but not the magic eye.

I tested the bedroom wallplate with a voltmeter and the wallplate that the builder had put in didn't carry a current which is why the magic eye didn't work. I bought a new wallplate, wired it up and all works ok now.

Mine only cost £4 so well worth the money.
    Homeowner with 1st mortgage sine Dec 09
    Golf handicap: [STRIKE]28[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]27[/STRIKE] 26
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family