County Court Summon for old debt

spoovy
spoovy Posts: 236 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 25 August 2016 at 12:13PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello

I've recently received a summons from the County Court Business Centre for an old debt. The debt was shown on a copy of my credit report which I got from Experian last year, which clearly shows the default date, which is well over 6 years ago now. I know that I have not made any payments since, and I have not acknowledged the debt either.

So it should be statue barred, right? So why are they taking it to court? I'm confused and anxious because I thought that this debt had ceased being something to worry about, but now it seems it still is.

I've never been to County Court before, how can I prove that the debt is statue barred? What if they (the company that is chasing me) just lie?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    I'm pretty sure you just file a defence and the defence us the debt is statute barred. You might just want to fill in the form to say you're going to defend and buy yourself a bit more time to get advice ob wording etc.
    They have to prove its not statute barred. Do note it's not unheard of for creditors/ their solicitors to make up/ accidentally on purpose claim a payment was made so be aware that they may use this tactic.
    Df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    They are hoping you roll over that's why.

Defend the claim on the basis that time has run out for filing a claim on this account, and under the limitations act 1980 the debt is statute barred.

Acknowledge service online.

They then have to do all the donkey work, NOT YOU !!!!!

You don't normally have to appear in court, it's all done by email and post.

Stick to your guns, don't be put off by anything they may say.

Good luck !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • spoovy
    Thanks, that sets my mind at rest a bit. Is there any to-and-fro during the court process? I mean if they presented a falsified payment document or something I would presumably get chance to counter that?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi spoovy

If you were to enter a "statute barred" defence as described above and the claimant did not simply withdraw their claim, the court would then normally fix a hearing to assess the facts of the matter - the claimant would be expected to provide any relevant evidence at this hearing, and you would obviously have the opportunity to query it if it appeared not to be genuine.

I can't quote you any statistics as such, but in my experience, if a claimant is confronted with a statute barred defence that it cannot refute, it will normally withdraw the claim so as to cut its losses.

Hope that helps

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • spoovy
    Thank you again, that is helpful. One more question though. I sent a CPR request to the solicitor for copies of the documents referred to in the Particulars of Claim, and they replied refusing; they said I already had all the information required.

So, can I enter a defence with multiple elements to it, eg that it is statute barred, AND that they refused my CPR request?

thanks again
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    spoovy wrote: »
    Thank you again, that is helpful. One more question though. I sent a CPR request to the solicitor for copies of the documents referred to in the Particulars of Claim, and they replied refusing; they said I already had all the information required.

So, can I enter a defence with multiple elements to it, eg that it is statute barred, AND that they refused my CPR request?

thanks again

Hmmm that suggests to me they may have nothing more than has already been supplied to you, or they are withholding something.

Certainly mention it in your defence yes.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    spoovy wrote: »

thanks again

Definitely. The more elements the better. Legalbeagles have useful info

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?53221-EXAMPLE-Defence-for-Consumer-Credit-Court-Claims

Just don't miss the timescales for acknowledgement of service and defence.
  • spoovy
    Thanks again.

In response to my CCA request they sent me a reconstituted agreement, made up of one photocopied (un-numbered) page, and several numbered pages of a word document, with no signature of mine anywhere. The agreement dates from 2006.
    Am I correct in thinking that reconstituted agreements are not acceptable as it was pre-2007, and that it is unenforcable as a result?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    To save me writing again what I wrote last night..

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71192786#post71192786

You now have a statute barred defence and a s127(3)cca defence!

Fun!
  • spoovy
    Unfortunately the statue barred defence has gone -- I unearthed some early token payments from 2010 :(

Also I was just talking to national debt helpline and they said that even though the documents supplied to me is reconstituted and unenforcable, that doesn't mean that they don't have a perfectly valid one which they will whip out in court, therefore invalidating my only defence, and leaving me liable to court costs etc as well!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure