student insurance

My son is at newcastle uni and last year we had endsleigh student insurance to cover his "gadgets" his iphone and laptop. It was good - He dropped his iphone and broke the screen, they replaced it immediately for him, It was £100 for the year. just wondering is there any where else i could try to see if i can get a more competitive quote.

Comments

• I'm also interested in this question. My daughter's just about to start her second year and is now moving into rented accomodation and sharing with 3 other people. Will admit I did not do anything about insurance during the first year whilst she was in halls (a bit of a "head in sands" approach!). Any specific considerations related to shared student rented accomodation?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Check your own home insurance policy. Mine (from Tesco bank) includes cover for the possessions of student children). So you might already have the cover you need, or perhaps can buy it as an add-on to your own household insurance for a modest additional premium.

It is good to know that you had a positive experience when claiming with Endsleigh: please post this on a review site since it is difficult to know which insurers are fair when handling claims.
  • Check your own home insurance policy. Mine (from Tesco bank) includes cover for the possessions of student children). So you might already have the cover you need, or perhaps can buy it as an add-on to your own household insurance for a modest additional premium.

It is good to know that you had a positive experience when claiming with Endsleigh: please post this on a review site since it is difficult to know which insurers are fair when handling claims.
    I cant fault them as you know what students are like with their mobiles and laptops. My friends son lost his mobile and it was insured on his parents home in surance policy and it was weeks before they agreed to replace it. That's what puts me off.At least he was able to go the next day and get his iphone sorted.
    My son will also be starting 2nd year in a shared house and def need his laptop and iphone insured. so maybe someone will come on and advise us
    I havnt had the renewal yet from Endsleigh for the 2nd year insurance :eek::eek: but it was approx £100 the firts year.
    It came with all the info on results day !
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I've used cover4students in the past.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • harvey1964 wrote: »
    My son is at newcastle uni and last year we had endsleigh student insurance to cover his "gadgets" his iphone and laptop. It was good - He dropped his iphone and broke the screen, they replaced it immediately for him, It was £100 for the year. just wondering is there any where else i could try to see if i can get a more competitive quote.

Try protect your bubble, they are competitive too.
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 265 Forumite
    harvey1964 wrote: »
    I cant fault them as you know what students are like with their mobiles and laptops. My friends son lost his mobile and it was insured on his parents home in surance policy and it was weeks before they agreed to replace it. That's what puts me off.At least he was able to go the next day and get his iphone sorted.
    My son will also be starting 2nd year in a shared house and def need his laptop and iphone insured. so maybe someone will come on and advise us
    I havnt had the renewal yet from Endsleigh for the 2nd year insurance :eek::eek: but it was approx £100 the firts year.
    It came with all the info on results day !

Do Endsleigh offer renewal prices? I paid so much for mine last year and hoping it will come down a lot otherwise I won't be able to afford it.
  • harvey1964
    harvey1964 Posts: 359 Forumite
    been having a look at the others listed above.Endsleigh are the most expensive.might ring my own House insurance company and see. protect my buuble dont cover laptop if you loose it.....mmm hard to know which one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure