MSE News: Autumn Statement: Pensions tax relief limit to drop

Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
Chancellor George Osborne has cut the maximum amount you can save in a pension to get the full tax relief...
Read the full story:
OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It was even more complicated than that as it was £20k pa for some people during 2009 with different dates for the cut-off depending on how much you earned.

At least these changes have been pushed out to 2014/15 to give people time to plan. There has been no notice in the past and even back-dated changes!

There is also the restoration of the 120% GAD cap to soften the blow.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Old_Slaphead
    Old_Slaphead Posts: 2,748 Forumite
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    There is also the restoration of the 120% GAD cap to soften the blow.

Good news.

Hopefully gilt yield index 'floor' of 2% not reduced to compensate ?
  • gadgetmind
    Details regards the 120% are a bit vague though. When is it happening? Now? 2013? Next review?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "Pension provider A J Bell says it has been told by HMRC representatives that the change will require legislation. Draft legislation will be produced before the next Budget, although the actual date of implementation will depend on the outcome of discussions between Government officials and the industry".

While I'd like immediate and including all in-force caps that were calculated based on 100%, that looks to me as though it'll be at least the middle of 2013 before it can happen.

The reduced Lifetime Allowance makes it more important than before to commence taking benefits at 55 even if there's no intention to retire then. That'll get the percentage of the lifetime allowance used as low as possible because there will have been fewer years of growth. Some people who do this will also need to take out life assurance so a non-spouse/dependent beneficiary on their death doesn't suffer from the 55% tax charge that starts once benefits are taken. If the income isn't needed it can be reinvested into a pension or just not taken.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    I presume the carry-forwards of unused allowance in 2014/15 will be based on the current £50k limit, not the lower £40k limit? Can't find anything specific on this in the budget documents.

Eg say someone contributed £40k pa in 2011/12, 12/13 and 13/14. Will they get £30k available for carry forwards to 14/15, or nothing?

When they lowered the limit to £50k in 2011, they only allowed carry-forwards of unused allowance based on the new limit not the old limit for the previous tax years (but that was a massive drop, so I guess they couldn't allow it based on the the old limits!)
  • gadgetmind
    I'd assume 50k but intend to use all of my carry forwards by then.

Interestingly, even though the limit before 2011 was £20k for many due to Special Annual Allowance, it's still assumed to be £50k for carry forwards.

I can feel some PIP fu coming along for me in 2013/14/15!

• Is there any word on if fixed protection can be applied for and when?

I have used all my carry backs and it looks like I only have one more paying in period since my next next PIP starts August 30 2013.

Damn them, damn them to hell.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There are two protection plans announced, one for sometime in 2013 and another with consultation that might take it to 2014.

Remember that the percentage of lifetime allowance used is calculated at the time of crysalisation/taking benefits and never again for that pension pot, however much it grows to later. If you're 55 or older you can do that now to get a percentage of the current 1.5 million limit before it drops to 1.25 million. You don't need to take the income, you can use income drawdown and not take income if you like. Assuming it's a personal pension of some sort. Best to take the maximum lump sum if it is a personal pension, you can reinvest that outside the pension, or recycle it within the recycling limits if you prefer.

Just get in before the limit drops and you may not need the protection because the crystalisation may keep you below the lower limit.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,091 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    zagfles wrote: »
    I presume the carry-forwards of unused allowance in 2014/15 will be based on the current £50k limit, not the lower £40k limit? Can't find anything specific on this in the budget documents.

When the £255,000 limit was cut to £50,000 the carry forward allowance was reduced to £50,000 retrospectively for the previous years when it had been higher.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    When the £255,000 limit was cut to £50,000 the carry forward allowance was reduced to £50,000 retrospectively for the previous years when it had been higher.
    Yes, as I said in my PP. However, the drop then was massive, if they'd allowed carry forwards of the full £250k for 3 years it would have defeated the whole purpose of the new cap - allowing someone to potentially put in £800k+ !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure