NowTV box

Options
penrhyn
penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 17 July 2012 at 9:12AM in TV MoneySaving
That gum you like is coming back in style.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just another version of Lovefilm or Netflix.
    Why no HD at launch, I wonder? Sky are already late to the party with this.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 28 November 2012 at 12:55PM
    Options
    It's just Sky Movies (i.e. the equivalent of a Sky Movies subscription) for those who don't/can't have Sky TV.

OTOH, it's £1/month cheaper than the satellite-delivered option (£15 as opposed to £16).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • davemurgatroyd
    Options
    Just another version of Lovefilm or Netflix.
    Why no HD at launch, I wonder? Sky are already late to the party with this.
    Hardly - apparently it will have live Sports PPVs available later this year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hardly - apparently it will have live Sports PPVs available later this year.
    Still looks like simply a film rental site at the moment. As I said, why launch without HD capability and with only the vague promise of live sport at some stage in the future?
    They needed to hit the ground running with this...
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    I already have Sky Movies so I wouldn't be interested anyway but is it petty to think the website looks so basic that I would not find it appealing anyway? It looks like something from ten years ago, which wouldn't give me much faith in the service that it provides.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    is it petty to think the website looks so basic that I would not find it appealing anyway? It looks like something from ten years ago, which wouldn't give me much faith in the service that it provides.
    I agree, it looks like currently a missed opportunity. No doubt improvements will be made, but it's hardly inspiring in it's current form; with or without the live sport.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2012 at 3:16PM
    Options
    For those who may be interested Sky's Now TV service has just become available on the YouView TV platform.
    You can find in in the On Demand players screen, just checked it.

http://www.youview.com/

http://www.nowtv.com/home

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a398702/skys-now-tv-web-streaming-app-launches-on-youview.html
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Bobz
    Bobz Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I've just turned my tv into a smart tv for less than £10! I had been using my old Wii to access BBC iplayer on my tv, but the following gives you iplayer in HD - a considerably better picture:

Order a NowTV box for £9.99 at www.nowtv.com but when ordering click on 'continue without account.'

When it arrives, plug it in, follow the set-up instructions, and when it asks for your account details, go to www.nowtv.com (do it on your computer) and create an account for the movies deal, with your email address, a username and password. When you get to the billing page click on 'cancel', and you will see that you still have the option to log out, therefore you are still logged in even though you have not set up a payment......

Go back to the setup of the NowTV box on your tv, enter your username and password. You can now use your box for BBC iplayer, demand 5, BBC news, Sky news, Spotify (if you have a premium account) and several others. So for £9.99 you have turned your tv into a smart TV. It's a no-brainer!

And if you want Sky movies anytime, you can sign up at that point.
    :)
  • Totality
    Totality Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    It's a nifty little gismo...this ain't a grabbit though, I'm afraid.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bobz wrote: »

When it arrives, plug it in, follow the set-up instructions, and when it asks for your account details, go to........

Or my experience:

When it arrives you plug it in and nothing happens so you spend days sending emails back and forth and finally get to use live-chat to explain the problem. Then you get sent a new power lead that doesn't solve the problem and again spend days sending emails that don't get a response before finally asking for a refund. Then you ask again a couple more times and finally receive one more than 2 months after first deciding that a NowTV box might be a good idea.....

The box may be good (unfortunately I never got to find out!), but the customer service is terrible!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport