Compulsory Smart Meters.

191011121315»

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    Many of the smaller suppliers are not yet installing smart meters. They are waiting for the dust to settle. ...

According to Ofgem,

All energy suppliers must aim to install smart meters in every home in England, Wales and Scotland by 2020.

(NI seems to have got a pass.)

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights

But I'm with PFP, and I haven't heard a peep from them about smart meters. :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    antrobus wrote: »
    According to Ofgem,

All energy suppliers must aim to install smart meters in every home in England, Wales and Scotland by 2020.

(NI seems to have got a pass.)

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights

But I'm with PFP, and I haven't heard a peep from them about smart meters. :)

Not many customers so only a few meters. A lot of the smaller companies are watching the Big 6 and when they find out which SMETS2 actually meters work, and which don’t, they will outsource the problem to a third-party meter installation company.
  • Promettwo
    Promettwo Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know yet whether or not the smart meters currently being installed (I am with EDF) are compatable with all suppliers
  • System
    Promettwo wrote: »
    Does anyone know yet whether or not the smart meters currently being installed (I am with EDF) are compatable with all suppliers

SMETS2 meters are still in the trial/certification phase. The most recent report was that only 80 SMETS2 meters had been installed. The Government has extended the SMETS1 meter stop date to later this year. I suggest that you contact the Smart Meter team at EDF for clarification.
  • Promettwo
    Promettwo Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SMETS2 meters are still in the trial/certification phase. The most recent report was that only 80 SMETS2 meters had been installed. The Government has extended the SMETS1 meter stop date to later this year. I suggest that you contact the Smart Meter team at EDF for clarification.
    Thanks for the reply. When I first switched to EDF they contacted me regarding installing a smart meter. I told them that I already had one fitted by BG. I asked if they could fit a meter that was compatible with all suppliers and they said that they would be able to do that but they didn't know when they would be available.
    Now when I contact them they tell me that those type of meters are 5 years away in the development programme.
    I was wondering if they are not willing to install them because of the prospect of me switching again. Regards
  • System
    Promettwo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. When I first switched to EDF they contacted me regarding installing a smart meter. I told them that I already had one fitted by BG. I asked if they could fit a meter that was compatible with all suppliers and they said that they would be able to do that but they didn't know when they would be available.
    Now when I contact them they tell me that those type of meters are 5 years away in the development programme.
    I was wondering if they are not willing to install them because of the prospect of me switching again. Regards

Suppliers are under no obligation to replace smart meters: doing so will just add even more to the programme cost. The DCC is currently rolling out a SMETS1 meter adoption programme that will allow SMETS1 meters to connect to its servers. Your meter will require a firmware update. Any meters that cannot be updated will be deemed stranded assets and replaced by 2020!

Warning: smart meter programme deadlines have a habit of moving right faster than time.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Whilst having Smart meters forced upon you is not ideal, they do have their uses. My own folks who are elderly and now find it difficult to take meter readings actually like the Smart meter, sad fact is though, the meter was installed by OVO about 18 months ago, we changed to First Utility some months later and lost the use of the Smart meter for nearly six months, and then all of a sudden, it was working again, which pleased my mother no end. However, we are nearing the end of our Fixed-Term plan with FU, and would like to change. Alas, if move to a long term fix with ENGIE - more than 24 months, we will be back to meter readings, which, as stated, is now proving hard for the folks due to age and eyesight issues. If EUGIE were able to take our custom & make use of the Smart Meter, I'd switch ASAP.
  • System
    editor1 wrote: »
    Whilst having Smart meters forced upon you is not ideal, they do have their uses. My own folks who are elderly and now find it difficult to take meter readings actually like the Smart meter, sad fact is though, the meter was installed by OVO about 18 months ago, we changed to First Utility some months later and lost the use of the Smart meter for nearly six months, and then all of a sudden, it was working again, which pleased my mother no end. However, we are nearing the end of our Fixed-Term plan with FU, and would like to change. Alas, if move to a long term fix with ENGIE - more than 24 months, we will be back to meter readings, which, as stated, is now proving hard for the folks due to age and eyesight issues. If EUGIE were able to take our custom & make use of the Smart Meter, I'd switch ASAP.

Sorry to be pedantic, but suppliers have no powers to enforce people to accept smart meters. You make a good point though about the elderly reading meters; however, there is an option to sign up to the Priority Service Register which includes quarterly meter reading.
  • Bronvahl
    Bronvahl Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary

For "SMETS2 meters are still in the trial/certification phase" translated means "we still have loads of crap SMETS1 meters to offload to unsuspecting customers.

I saw Gov sneaking in extension and also granting them right to appoint an administrator in event of bankruptcy
    Summary of the Smart Meters Bill 2017-19

A Bill to extend the period for the Secretary of State to exercise powers relating to smart metering and to provide for a special administration regime for a smart meter communication licensee.

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2017-19/smartmeters.html

Whole damn programme should be scrapped, business case was lame to begin with and now fails.

We could save billions by making this optional and not allowing the energy companies to pass on charges, just scrap standing charges.

Problem is the energy companies are so devious, now they are pushing up Gas prices by messing with wholesale trading.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Sorry to be pedantic, but suppliers have no powers to enforce people to accept smart meters. You make a good point though about the elderly reading meters; however, there is an option to sign up to the Priority Service Register which includes quarterly meter reading.

If I was close to the folks, I'd do it all myself, but Smart Meter's in old homes are good if specifically with those with mobility issues in mind. Our meters are in awkward spots, the electric meter needs a step ladder to read it, and the gas meter is under the stairs, meaning it too is awkward. I suppose Quarterly readings are okay if EUGIE energy actually provide these for OAPs, but SMETS2 is the answer. Again though, use should be voluntary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure