is it worth joining a union?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ohreally wrote: »
    The non-member "personal decision" should be to think long and hard about working in an organised workplace where they enjoy the benefits paid for by the subscription paying colleagues.

These terms of service they enjoy are paid for by other people, they don't magically appear.

If you're legally allowed to work for an employer and don't have to join a union then end of story. No one should be bullied or pressured into something that they have the right to say no to.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    The non-member "personal decision" should be to think long and hard about working in an organised workplace where they enjoy the benefits paid for by the subscription paying colleagues.

These terms of service they enjoy are paid for by other people, they don't magically appear.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here, but what do you do if you have a dislike of unions and you work in an organised workplace?

As with john22, I've generally had good relations with my previous employers, one lot were miserable wotsits so I left, and none of the places have been unionised.

However, if I joined a place with a heavy union membership, what would I do - hell would freeze over before I joined one. I'd be happy to negotiate my own Ts & Cs, but I doubt management would want to.:)

As far as I know, only one of my 23 employees is in a union ( though that was years ago and I don't know for sure now ). Over the years various staff have suggested changes, sometimes those changes have happened if I think it's fair and sometimes not, though I always explain the reasoning behind. Perhaps that's the difference between small firms and big firms and why my staff don't seem to be interested in joining.
  • bugslet
    john22 wrote: »
    If you're legally allowed to work for an employer and don't have to join a union then end of story. No one should be bullied or pressured into something that they have the right to say no to.

We cross posted john, that was one of my bugbears when closed shops operated. I can understand where ohreally is coming from, but closed shops are an anthema to me.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

If you wish to be a parasite, your call. Your member colleagues must hold you in high esteem.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • System
    If you wish to be a parasite, your call. Your member colleagues must hold you in high esteem.

Oh here we go name calling someone who has a different view point.

Real classy!
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bugslet wrote: »
    We cross posted john, that was one of my bugbears when closed shops operated. I can understand where ohreally is coming from, but closed shops are an anthema to me.

Since they've been illegal for 27 years you should be ok then
  • bugslet
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Since they've been illegal for 27 years you should be ok then

That's why I referred to them in the past tense..... The idea of one remains a no-go even if they are illegal now.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh here we go name calling someone who has a different view point.

Real classy!

No, not name calling,
    a person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others.

ref: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/parasite

If the shoe fits.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • System
    No, not name calling,

ref: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/parasite

If the shoe fits.

My contract is with the employer and I work under their terms and conditions and get paid in return for carrying out those duties. It's my legal right and also living in a democratic country to decide if I want to join a union or not.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    readingfan wrote: »
    That's an extremely unpleasant comment to make. I work in an organisation where Union membership is taken up by many people. I, however, do not feel the need. I have an excellent understanding of my rights and also enjoy a decent relationship with my employer. In fact, the last time I was a Union member and utilised their services, the member in question commented on how well I coped and stated that he wasn't really required. Further, I have successfully managed my husband's action against his previous employers - to great success.

I will not be hounded, or bullied, by people like you. As far as I am concerned, Union membership is a waste of money.

Yet like many Union bashers on this thread. You would be willing to accept improved benefits like salary negotiated by the Union or Perhaps you will refuse to take them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure