Ground Source Heat Pumps

Options

Comments

• beardymarrow
    Options
    DeeWestern wrote: »
    On the basis it's a bit big to drag down to Shell, it it worth buying a car pressure gauge to see if this is a problem? What range should the pressure be?

:-). I would buy one, yes, it will be very cheap. The tank will say on it, but it looks like 3.3bar. I'll defer to lovesgshp but I can't see how this could cause the high delta. Should still be fixed if it's a problem though as you could get rust in your hot water if the diaphragm is leaking.
  • DeeWestern
    DeeWestern Posts: 117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Something is slowing down the flow of hot water round the system in my garage, either in the GSHP box or the large white box container with the tanks.

It's not the filter (alarm happens when the filter is removed), the pumps are all set to their highest speed - so I'm at at a loss as to what it can be. Everything works fine other than the alarm going off (and it's been like this for years).

I mentioned the pressure tank just as the red one was something I had had to earlier check (and repressurise) but if it's not going to cause the problem then it must be something else.

So frustrating.
  • beardymarrow
    Options
    Something is slowing down the flow of hot water round the system in my garage, either in the GSHP box or the large white box container with the tanks.

It's not the filter (alarm happens when the filter is removed), the pumps are all set to their highest speed - so I'm at at a loss as to what it can be. Everything works fine other than the alarm going off (and it's been like this for years).

I mentioned the pressure tank just as the red one was something I had had to earlier check (and repressurise) but if it's not going to cause the problem then it must be something else.

So frustrating.

For the cost of a couple of quid for the pressure gauge it's worth a check.
  • Patrol
    Patrol Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    My white expansion vessel (as per your picture on 8 August) was replaced a while back, I was told it should not be full of water and likely caused by a pinhole leak although it was probably full since day 1. Got a local plumber to do it, but it had been like that for several years without causing any alarms so doubt it is the cause of your alarms.

When you say the flow slows down in your garage, is it possible the pipework there has some sort of blockage. I can't remember specifics of your install, have you 1 unit (combined heat pump and water cylinder), 2 (heat pump and separate water cylinder) or 3 (plus buffer tank).
  • DeeWestern
    Options
    For the cost of a couple of quid for the pressure gauge it's worth a check.

Thanks, as I opened the packet I realised the white vessel couldn't be the only problem, as the alarm goes in heating mode too. Anyway, the white vessel had a pressure reading of 2.4 bar which isn't too bad I guess?
  • DeeWestern
    Options
    Patrol wrote: »
    When you say the flow slows down in your garage, is it possible the pipework there has some sort of blockage. I can't remember specifics of your install, have you 1 unit (combined heat pump and water cylinder), 2 (heat pump and separate water cylinder) or 3 (plus buffer tank).
    I say the problem must be in the garage (rather than the house) as the alarm goes when just the hot water tank is being warmed, and also when the heating tank is being warmed. If the blockage was in the radiators then the DHW should be fine I think.

I have 3 units next to each other:
    Qtl0RV4.jpg?1

This is box 1:
    r3DfHU6.jpg
    lZufQBD.jpg?1

This is box 2 (Hot Water I think):
    prDQBqP.jpg

This box 3 (Heating):
    q6oeuCd.jpg?1
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DW.
    I am going to have a check with our engineer when he returns from holiday after this week.
    You have checked the filter, which is clean, so that is eliminated at the moment.
    As the DHW is still alarming, there is a possibility that a blockage could be in the flow to the 3 way valve, especially if you are in a hard water area.
    Can you get a plumber to take off the full valve and pipe connections to check this out?
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • DeeWestern
    DeeWestern Posts: 117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lovesgshp wrote: »
    DW.
    Can you get a plumber to take off the full valve and pipe connections to check this out?
    Happy to do so, but let's wait until we've heard from the engineer so can get all the jobs done at the same time. It's a very soft water area.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OK, no problem. I do hope we can sort it out, as this is annoying that we have not found the answer as yet.
    It still seems to be pointing to the 3 way valve area in many respects, although the tests look alright at the moment.
    Will update you as soon as I can.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • beardymarrow
    Options

I have 3 units next to each other:

This is box 1:

This is box 2 (Hot Water I think):

This box 3 (Heating):

Yes, you've got it right. Box 1 is the gshp itself. Box 2 is the DHW tank where it stores your hot water (the gshp pumps hot water through pipes in this tank to warm the water in it, the gshp doesn't directly heat the DHW) and box 3 is a buffer tank for the heating to help even out the demand.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback